Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

best component cable?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

best component cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best component cable?

monster?
silver serpent by bestcables?
using the hitachi 51swx20b

thanks
Old 09-08-02, 09:33 PM

The silver serpent is much better than monster, especially on very long runs (I've used both). However, you can also get some very good canare based ones from ebay.
Old 09-10-02, 10:59 AM

really? u can actually see a huge difference in terms of clarity
if u need big name brand cables?
Old 09-10-02, 11:24 AM
Cool New Member

What about Straight Wire Silver Link?
Old 09-11-02, 03:07 PM

DIY, get some Belden 89259,1694A, 1695A, 1505A, or 1506A and some good RCAs (Cardas, Canare, etc). Fairly easy to do and you can make a cable for around $10-$15 each, which will compare with a $100+ audiophile grade. Take a look at the www.audioasylum.com forums for cables. Lots of discussions on both speaker cables and interconnects. This guy has some great ideas on DIY and is on the above forums.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/index2.htm

Also, get some from eBay. I saw an eBay store selling Belden/Canare component cables for under $36.95 premade (Blue Jean Cables).
Old 09-12-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gotapex
The silver serpent is much better than monster, especially on very long runs (I've used both). However, you can also get some very good canare based ones from ebay.
You used both? You are aware there are many different models of Monster component video cable, correct?

I just thought it was odd you said the (BetterCable) Silver Serpent but just said 'Monster' without saying which model.
Old 09-12-02, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
You used both? You are aware there are many different models of Monster component video cable, correct?

I just thought it was odd you said the (BetterCable) Silver Serpent but just said 'Monster' without saying which model.

Sorry about that. I used the Silver Serpent and the Monster Video 3 (MV3CV-8M), both in 8 meter lengths.
Old 09-13-02, 01:50 AM

Newbie question here.... just bought a new TV with a component input. I was shocked to learn that component cables are so expensive! Is there a good place to buy them cheap? Are any of the recommended ones above relatively inexpensive? Is there a choice that is both good and affordable? Thanks for your patience with my newbie questions.
Old 09-13-02, 02:08 AM

If you want the best, they're expensive, and the longer the cable, the higher the cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1379346021

Do a search for canare component on ebay.
Old 09-13-02, 02:12 AM

Okay, another dumb question: can you really tell THAT much of a difference? Much better than S-VHS? I just bought an Akai Pure Flat 27", and it looks pretty darn good. How much better would it look with a comp. video connection?
Old 09-13-02, 03:25 AM

Better than S-Video you mean? Yes, definitely. A big difference on a 27" TV of any kind? No, probably not.
Old 09-13-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by KingTutankhamen
Okay, another dumb question: can you really tell THAT much of a difference? Much better than S-VHS? I just bought an Akai Pure Flat 27", and it looks pretty darn good. How much better would it look with a comp. video connection?
You should see a small but measurable difference between component and S-video, mostly related to reduction of dot crawl artifacts. The larger your display the more the distinction becomes.

Is there much of a difference between set of decently-shielded cables and the outrageously expensive brands? No, not at all. That difference is purely psychological. Someone who spends that kind of money wants so badly to believe there is a difference that their brain fills one in.