Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Smash Bros. (N64) or Smash Bros. Melee?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smash Bros. (N64) or Smash Bros. Melee?

Just curious, but what does everyone prefer between the two Smash Bros. games? If you want, you can seperate by one-player and multiplayer.

As a one-player title, Melee obviously is better with much more to do and accomplish and open up. Nothing else to say.

As for multiplayer, I personally (as well as my buddies) prefer the N64 version, even with its less characters, shady graphics and so. It just seems to control so much better, and we all find it much easier to get into than the more "hectic" and conjusted Melee multiplayer games.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Melee is my favorite in every area. I don't even play the first one anymore.
Old 09-08-02, 07:33 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Melee all the way. More features, more characters, better one player game, just as fun multiplayer and I vastly prefer the GCN controller.

Though I must preface this by saying I'm not a huge fan of either game. I actually just sold Melee because I rarely played it multiplayer anymore and was sick of the single player modes.

Anyway, they are good games, but not the masterpieces that some make them out to be IMO. Basically good party games that are easy to pick up and play, and in Melee's case there's a good variety of single player stuff to keep you busy for a while.

But I still prefer more serious fighters like Tekken, Soul Calibur, Street Fighter etc.
Old 09-08-02, 07:36 PM
Banned

I think Melee suffered to a lot of hype as well last XMAS, mainly because it was the only solid/flagship title available for the system. While all of us loved Smash on the N64 to death, it seems Melee is taking much longer to get into.
Old 09-08-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Melee.

My friends and have been lucky enough to not suffer these growing pains you are going through.

Seriously, Melee is so much better. We all loved the original, Melee takes it to the next level. And with the Wavebird we can make jestures and what not at each other even more then before.
Old 09-08-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Melee hands down.
Old 09-08-02, 09:34 PM
Banned

Wow, I'm very surprised with all this.

Is there something I should maybe do (options-wise) to make the game easier to follow and not so chaotic? I understand that's one of the neatures of the game but the N64 version just seems to have much more "controlled chaoism" if that makes any sense. There's just too much going on, on the screen of Melee to follow.
Old 09-08-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first thing I noticed in the screen shots of Melee before it was released was all the stuff happening on the screen. I can see how you might think it's chaotic. You'll get used to it though.
Old 09-09-02, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Mike_AA
Wow, I'm very surprised with all this.

Is there something I should maybe do (options-wise) to make the game easier to follow and not so chaotic? I understand that's one of the neatures of the game but the N64 version just seems to have much more "controlled chaoism" if that makes any sense. There's just too much going on, on the screen of Melee to follow.
You can reduce the number of items that fall onto the board for starters.

Also avoid any boards that move or having moving objects.

Once you start to get that done you'll be able to play with more stuff going on. There's a learning curve to the game. Despite what some people want to think, (without playing the game mind you) it's not just a button masher. It will take some time to learn everything and become truely good.
Old 09-09-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the first one, on N64 better for a reason I can't explain. Had them both, and then traded my melee, because I just didn't find it that much fun. Still play the one on N64 though, who knows why , I just find it much more enjoyable.
Old 09-09-02, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Mike_AA
There's just too much going on, on the screen of Melee to follow.
Thats one of the reason why I love it! Chaos = good fun! the game isn't called melee for nothing.

I like Melee better, it has tons more options, characters, music,.....and an addiction called trophies! My advice is find a character you like....say....Link for example (one of my favorites), and stick with them and learn all their moves. Then you'll pick up strategies and techniques that'll help you beat the computer and your friends.
Old 09-09-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
For single player, neither. For multiplayer, Melee.
Old 09-09-02, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Outlaw

I like Melee better, it has tons more options, characters, music,.....and an addiction called trophies! My advice is find a character you like....say....Link for example (one of my favorites), and stick with them and learn all their moves. Then you'll pick up strategies and techniques that'll help you beat the computer and your friends.
Yeah, I'm a Falcon fan, like many others. Link is good as well. I've completed many of the single-player objective thingies...explain the trophies and anything else I can do (single-player wise) with this game. What else is there to do/open up? I currently have most of the characters (except like 3 or 4) and almost all the fighting stages.
Old 09-09-02, 09:07 PM

You gosh darn bet there is!! I'm betting you were one of the people who were disappointed that Shine Get! didn't make it into Super Mario Sunshine. Well go to the options and change the language to Japanese. Then get a trophy using any method and you'll be treated to........Figure Get! BABY!!! Also some of the cheers are different for some reason.

ok, in all seriousness, I got obsessed with the trophies because of the little descriptions they put next to them in the gallery and also that they are pretty cool looking. There's tons of different ways to get them, if you've already completed most of the single player event matches you've probably got a bunch of them. I suggest checking Gamefaqs for the trophy guide there's a pretty complete guide there to get them all. There's also extra event matches Not sure what else there is because I mostly play it in the multiplayer.
Old 09-10-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Dude need you ask? MELEE BABY!!! I tried playing the old one at work a few days ago I just couldnt do it. Melee is definately the better game. This reminds me of guys at work trying to convince me that No Mercy was better than Smackdown.
Old 09-10-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original. Maybe cause i can kick ass on the original, and not the new one, but you need a console mutiplayer game to be quick to master, or your competition gives up to easy.

Melee seemed less responsive, maybe it was cause of the wireless controllers. Also the special buttons in melee pissed me off. After the 20th time of going somewhere to pick up an item and having someone pick it up in midair and throw it at you all in one move without hitting the ground, I gave up.
Old 09-13-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 971 Likes on 678 Posts
I prefer Melee in all aspects but agree with the chaosness. you do get used to it but one thing you can do is to play in a largelevel such as hyrule castle.

I think this game is much more balanced than the first one. the characters are more on the same level.