Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Must have Canadian DVDs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Must have Canadian DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must have Canadian DVDs?

hey yo,

since, i...
like many of you will get the Canadian 3-dvd set of
Brotherhood of the Wolf

what are other "must have" dvds from Canada?

"ginger snaps" is one i hear of...

i ask this
cause i just hate ordering
just one dvd...
buying all these dvds has made me a penny-pincher...
i gotta get the most outta the shipping cost =)

thanx for any suggestions
- wing
Old 09-07-02, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
zoinks? I didn't know about a Canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf. Link? Specs? help a brothah out.
Old 09-07-02, 06:03 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Trigger
zoinks? I didn't know about a Canadian Brotherhood of the Wolf. Link? Specs? help a brothah out.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?page=News&id=3557

And a thread from the "DVDTalk" forum:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...d+the+and+wolf

Last edited by Goemon; 09-07-02 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-07-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented Ginger Snaps once and remember it being decent, but nothing to write home about.. I definately wouldn't pick this up for the 18 and change that dvdsoon is charging. I picked up a used copy from BBV during their last sale for $8. That's about the most I'd pay for this movie.

Hope that helps,
Shagrath
Old 09-07-02, 05:36 PM

thanx for the heads up shagrath...
save me a few bucks then =)

and a question off to the side a bit for everyone,

who's your favorite/best canadian e-tailer?
cause along with being a penny-pincher
i'm damn impatient...
(funny though, impatient but won't shell out for express shipping)

- wing
Old 09-07-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dunno if you like Spaulding Gray, but if you do...Swimming to Cambodia is a nice Canadian exclusive. And if you like British TV/spy shows, Direct Video has a nice price (the sets aren't exclusive to Canada though) on "The Sandbaggers".
Old 09-07-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...two thumbs and several toes up
for both sets of The Sandbaggers...! ! !...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-07-02 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-07-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Goemon
And a thread from the "DVDTalk" forum:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...d+the+and+wolf
omg... that was one of the longest, most painful threads i've ever read!

i didn't even think BotW was that great (it was ok+) but it looks like i'll have to get it.

the only other movies that i suggest getting from canada are trainspotting and existenz.
Old 09-08-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I may not like to admit this, (I'm a guy) I've always enjoyed Kevin Sullivan's Anne of Green Gables
Trilogy. Of course, the third installment is my least favorite but its not a terrible film. These are
only available on DVD in Canada. Try and get the Special Edition releases (w/ commentary) and not the original bare-bones
edition.
Old 09-08-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am also a guy and I like Anne of Green Gable too (and Christy. Anybody got a problem with that?? didn't think so!) and I own the Canadian DVDs, but wow, they suck. I'd gladly replace them with properly mastered American versions. I mean, they really suck. They look about as blocky as a poorly made VCD, especially the first one.

I would add Smallville to any list of must have Canadian DVDs.
Old 09-08-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another big thumbs up for THE SANDBAGGERS. Now if we could only get them to release the remaining 6 or 7 episodes in a final set.

Also, RE: Brotherhood of the Wolf Canadian set.
I don't know how they arranged it, but DigitalEyes is a domestic U.S. etailer that has the 3-disc Canadian set for pre-order.
And, if you order two or more items, you can get free shipping. They're a good outfit.

Here's some info I got in an email:

> Digital Eyes is proud to bring you the mammoth 3-disc Canadian Collector's Edition of this new classic! This set is destined to be extremely rare on American shelves, so don't miss your opportunity to pick up this deluxe set. Some of the features on this stuffed-to-the-brim set include:
Director's and actors commentaries; The Making Of (Original French with English subtitles;
Deleted Scenes (Original French with English subtitles);
The Legend (Original French with English subtitles);
Trailers; Filmographies (English/French); Documentary (Original French with English subtitles); Storyboards; Photo Gallery; and Bonus DVD-ROM features!
> If you're a fan of this great film, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing set. Just $31.96 for a limited time only.
>
> http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=BOTHDVD

Last edited by dvd2001; 09-08-02 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-09-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Here's another big thumbs up for THE SANDBAGGERS. Now if we could only get them to release the remaining 6 or 7 episodes in a final set."

...ahh... there are no "remaining 6 or 7 episodes" - and there never were... for reasons explained in the copious -and quite interesting- text that is one of the 'extras' on these two sets...

. . . . . .
Old 09-09-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik, ....ahh..., yes there are 7 episodes that have never been released dvd. I think that some people have them from taping the original broadcasts.
I've had the first two 3-dvd sets (that include 13 episodes) for a while, and find them excellent.

Please let me refer you to www.opsroom.org

Here's some info about what's available (from that website):

There are 20 episodes of “The Sandbaggers.” The first 13 episodes are available on DVD. (Yay!) The remaining seven episodes might get released on DVD too, but as of early April 2002 there has been no official confirmation of any additional DVDs.

Twelve of the first 13 episodes also are available on NTSC home video; the episode that’s missing is “Special Relationship” (Episode 7). That pivotal episode is available on DVD.

No PAL videos of “The Sandbaggers”are available, but “Sandbaggers” fans who live in PAL countries could be able to play the DVDs.

DVD Sets 1 and 2

On August 28, 2001, BFS Entertainment & Multimedia Limited released two box sets of “Sandbaggers” DVDs in North America. Each box set contains three discs and has a suggested retail price of US$59.98. Here is the configuration:

Collection Set 1
Disc 1: Episodes 1 and 2
Disc 2: Episodes 3 and 4
Disc 3: Episodes 5, 6, and 7

Collection Set 2
Disc 1: Episodes 8 and 9
Disc 2: Episodes 10 and 11
Disc 3: Episodes 12 and 13, plus production photos and text “extras” (some of which were prepared for BFS by the Ops Room).

Both DVD box sets are generally available from DVD and video Web-based retailers, and at many DVD and video stores across North America.

The DVDs’ regional encoding — or lack thereof
It was expected that BFS’s “Sandbaggers” DVDs would be encoded for playback only in DVD Region 1, which is Canada and the United States. Indeed, several Web-based DVD retailers do say “Region 1” in their listings for the “Sandbaggers” box sets.

It has turned out, however, that several people have successfully played the “Sandbaggers” DVDs on Region 2 DVD players. Also, the DVDs’ packaging and the discs themselves do not say anything about regional encoding.

It seems resonable to infer, therefore, that the “Sandbaggers” DVDs are not encoded for Region 1-only playback after all. They might even be “code-free.” It is entirely possible, however, that subsequent pressings of the DVDs will have Region 1 encoding.

Also, even if they are code-free, they won’t play on just any DVD player and TV; the discs are, after all, NTSC. More information about playing NTSC discs in PAL countries — as well as information about DVD regional codes — is available here.

DVD Set 3?

BFS produced its “Sandbaggers” DVDs and videotapes under license from “Sandbaggers” copyright holder Granada PLC.

In May 2001, the Ops Room was told that BFS’s license did not include the seven remaining unreleased episodes (Episodes 14 through 20, which comprise Season 3); but the Ops Room also was told, at that time, that BFS did want to release those seven episodes (because the “Sandbaggers” videotapes had been “steady” sellers for the company) and that BFS had begun negotiations with Granada to acquire the necessary license.

As of April 2002, the status of BFS’s plans for a “Sandbaggers” DVD Set 3 is unknown.

Recently, however, several “Sandbaggers” fans have e-mailed BFS to inquire about their plans. BFS’s replies have seemed to suggest that BFS is still interested in issuing a Set 3. One fan received a reply which said, “The third series is something we are working on, but no promises at this time. Keep an eye on our Web site for future announcements.”
Old 09-09-02, 01:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hendrik would you (please) condense those those copious notes here, for the benefit of those curious minds whose interest may have been piqued?

Merci
<small><sub>Thanks</small></sub>

Old 09-09-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is Amelie canadian version worth getting?
Old 09-09-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by young
is Amelie canadian version worth getting?
Can you speak French?
Old 09-09-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm... no subs... that sucks.

guess i'll have to wait longer (it says miramax may release a version w/ alliance).

Last edited by young; 09-09-02 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-10-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Amelie

Originally posted by young
hmm... no subs... that sucks.

guess i'll have to wait longer (it says miramax may release a version w/ alliance).
Alliance Atlantis has already released their copy of the movie. It is pretty much a straight import of the American disc, except that its English subtitles are non-removeable.

There are two Canadian DVD releases:
- In English-speaking territories, there is Alliance's release.
- In French-speaking territories, there is the TVA release with no English subs (TVA actually released two versions of the disc, one a standard 2-disc SE, and the other a more elaborate Collector's Edition with nicer packaging. The DVDs inside the Collector's set are the same as their 2-disc SE.)
Old 09-13-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Other Canadian exclusive DVDs that I really enjoyed were

THOMAS IN LOVE
THE HOLE
GANGSTER No. 1

Also, I thought Ginger Snaps was great.

For good Canadian etailers, I've had good luck with ABSound and DVDmode.
Old 09-16-02, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just returned from spending a week at the Toronto Film Festival, where I picked up a pretty amazing Special Edition DVD of Kandahar, complete with commentary, making-of and more. Very nice and exclusive to Canada.
Old 09-16-02, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Wing
thanx for the heads up shagrath...
save me a few bucks then =)
Before you rule out the fully-loaded Canadian version of Ginger Snaps, you might want to glance at some other reviews.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/gs-se/

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2938

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/E-H/ginger_snaps.html

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...364&story=2324
Old 09-16-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll add another vote for Kandahar.
Very interesting film about Afghanistan.