Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What did they do to Battlefield 1942??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did they do to Battlefield 1942??

That new patch is the stupidest patch I've ever seen. I don't know if I did anything wrong, but I cant even open the game anymore, the only .exe there is for running a server. You're now basically forced to use ASE (which I dislike as all the servers I see are either locked, empty or have a ping of like 500) or that Gamespy piece of crap. What happened to the ingame browser, was their solution to remove it totally? I tried to connect to 1 server that wasn't full, it loaded some sort of splash screen which was buggy and illegible then loaded a second bugged screen where all I saw was 'Error'.

I mean are these guys on crack or did I do something wrong here? I surely won't buy the game if it doesn't even have an .exe to run it with an ingame server browser or option screen.
Old 09-06-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I found out looking around. On the 1942 website, some of the links are incorrect and take you to the dedicated server patch, which deletes the game. How stupid is that? they can't even put the correct links so I deleted the game.
Old 09-06-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's going to take more than that for them to top Sierra's Half-Life uninstall snafu.
Old 09-06-02, 05:19 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

wow, i just downloaded this 130meg demo today. guess i'll delete the install file
Old 09-15-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
It's going to take more than that for them to top Sierra's Half-Life uninstall snafu.
What was that one? Is it as bad as Myth II's uninstall snafu that completely deleted the directory you installed it into (which meant that if you didn't install it to the default directory, but instead installed it to C:\ , it would remove everything in your C:\ directory)?
Old 09-15-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like the identical problem. A few people were installing under Program Files, and uninstalling completely wiped out that directory structure.