Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Animal Crossing Reviews (IGN)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Animal Crossing Reviews (IGN)

Thought I would create a thread for Animal Crossing reviews both personal and published.

I still have a lot of Mario Sunshine (Awesome game) to finish before I can pick this up. Who knows if it catches on at campus I may have to pick it up earlier.

Here's another thread discussing AC in anticpation for it.

Here's what IGN had to say:

Closing Comments
How do you review a game that can stretch over the course of a year? Luckily, I've literally played both the N64 original and the Japanese GameCube version for months -- and I'm happy to report that I'm just as addicted to the US version. All I have to say is thank you, Nintendo, for finally bringing this little gem stateside. Animal Crossing is a charming game for players of all ages that's proof that Nintendo hasn't run out of ideas. Sure, you'll find a mixture of many familiar gameplay styles that we've seen in other games before, but combined they really come together to create a very unique and original game. That's not to say the game's appeal is universal. Hardcore gamers who are used to playing videogames for hours on end alone every day will quickly find that Animal Crossing isn't that kind of game. Unless you start to cheat and change your clock settings (the temptation to advance your clock will be there every day, but the game lasts much longer if you play by the rules), you can only play it for a few hours or so each day until you run out of things to do or you get bored with running errands that you've completed before. And even though you can enjoy the game by yourself, Animal Crossing really comes into its own when you're sharing the game with a few friends or siblings -- or you join an active message board like our own.
I'm glad Nintendo is courageous enough to bring a game like Animal Crossing to an international audience. The last time the company did something like this, we ended up with Pokemon. While Animal Crossing may have a harder time appealing to older gamers because of the recent rise in popularity by M-rated games, it's most likely going to be word of mouth that will make this game a success. I hope my word helps out at the start of it all: Get this game. If you're all about action and exploration games, then Animal Crossing may be an acquired taste at first. Just like turn-based RPGs were considered too niche and tedious on Game Boy before Pokemon, Animal Crossing will hook you once you get past its quirky presentation and slower-paced gameplay. But if you're the kind of person who is willing to take chances and explore new game genres, this could turn into one of the most rewarding titles you've ever picked up. And if you're a Nintendo fan, there's just no way around it -- you simply have to play this game for the inclusion of the NES classics alone.

Parents who are looking for the perfect game to play with their kids, take note. It doesn't get better than this. It's rare that a game comes along that's so well-designed that it breaks down age differences and can be enjoyed by kids and grown-ups alike.

Buy it! One of my favorite games this year.

-- Peer Schneider

I think it was the inclusion of classic NES games that originally attracted me to this game; I have a serious soft spot for nostalgia, and the strive to collect all the NES systems in the game was plenty to draw me to this quirky game.
What I didn't realize was just how dang addictive Animal Crossing is. While it doesn't seem like it on the surface, there is so much to do in this game, and it continuously motivates you to keep playing with all the items that you can obtain, collect and utilize. Everything in the game, from the insects, fish, and dinosaur bones, to the villagers inhabiting your realm are literally your status symbols...just how well you're doing in the game. When a new neighbor moves in, it makes you strive to keep working to maintain your popularity. When you discover a new fish in the river, it's normal to find yourself sitting by the bank for hours on end seeing if you can catch another big one. When someone hands you an awesome piece of furniture, you'll end up working for your villagers to see if their generosity continues.

It's Animal Crossing's focus on customization that makes the game feel so personal. I love the fact that you can arrange your living quarters the way you want, or wear whatever clothes suit your mood, or create your own textures that you can post on signs, shirts, umbrellas, walls, and floors. Heck, you can even "teach" your neighbors to say a catchphrase that you wrote for them. I can show this off to my friends as "my" game.

Animal Crossing doesn't offer any intense challenge like traditional action or adventure games are supposed to...anyone can play it and succeed. Even still, there's always a sense of accomplishment with everything you can do in this game...it's an extremely satisfying experience. And after playing the Japanese and US versions for several months now, I can honestly say the fun will continue for a very, very long time.

And, of course, the inclusion of the Game Boy Advance connectivity is absolutely brilliant and should not be missed.

- Craig Harris

Presentation
Graphics
Sound
Gameplay
Lasting Appeal
OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.1
Discuss
Old 09-06-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I think the Xbox... j/k
Old 09-06-02, 12:29 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

i still have absolutely no idea what this game is about...

is it something like the sims? with weird nintendo characters?
Old 09-06-02, 12:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The EGM review (it got a gold rating) called it "The Sims meets Hello Kitty".
Old 09-06-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

planet gamecube just posted about 20 minutes worth of movies from animal crossing.

here is the link

animal crossing movies and impressions
Old 09-06-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking forward to playing around with this game. Of course even if I don't end up liking it, I'm sure my 7 year old will since he has friends at school that are getting it as well. Actually, my wife is looking forward to it also.
Old 09-06-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm standing by my statement that if you don't have other people to play this with, the game's pretty dull.
Old 09-06-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Game looks somewhat interesting. I'm just not too into open ended games, so I probably won't bother with it.

Exactly what original NES games are on there anyways?
Old 09-06-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i think it looks sort of fun. i'd have to rent it first to get an idea of the sort of freedom you have in it. the movies make it look entertaining. i agree that being able to share with others would make it even better.
Old 09-06-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those that are interested, I have confirmation that you should be able to rent Animal Crossing starting today at Blockbusters. I do not have confirmation on whether the memory card will be rented with it or not. It sounded like they were still deciding on that.

I would have told you to go to the site I work for, but I don't wish to push any boundaries here outside of my sig.
Old 09-06-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought this game sounded so stupid, but after those videos posted on planetgamecube, I must say I'm quite interested. Will wait to here what you guys think after playing it some.

I already have a to-get list of quite a few titles so not sure if this one wil make it.
Old 09-06-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Will wait to here what you guys think after playing it some.
Well, you already have my opinion.
Old 09-06-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found the Sims to be pretty empty as a gaming experience, and that game had girl-on-girl kissing. I think I'll skip Animal Crossing.