Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need advice on buying Progressive Scan DVD player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-02, 09:58 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering the SONY DVP-NC655P 480P DVD player and had a couple of questions that I hope someone can help answer:

1. What makes some Progressive Scan players like this one so low in price vs. others that are three to four times in price?

2. Would a player like this make enough of a quality difference on my 65" Mitsu Diamond HDTV to warrant changing players?

3. What effects would a progressive scan DVD player have on non HD TVs? (I have a video distribution system in place where the one DVD player services all the TVs in the house, including the primary HDTV).

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-06-02, 12:31 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone??
Old 09-06-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What DVD player do you currently have? What model Mits?

Most (99.9%) of non-HDTV's can't accept a progressive signal, so it would just be like a normal DVD player.
Old 09-06-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Sony DVD players suffer from the chroma upsampling bug. This can be very distracting on a large screen television. I would not buy a Sony.
Old 09-06-02, 08:04 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the SONY DVP-660C currently which is non Progressive scan.

As for the Mitsu, I have the WS-65809(?) I believe....it is HD compatible.

Josh, interesting info regarding the Chroma bug....would that still apply to newer players of today?

Also, in order to really get the benefit of Prog. scan, can I still use S-vid or do I need to use Component?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-06-02, 08:18 PM

Yes, Sony still does not use a mpeg decoder and deinterlacing chip combo that is bug free or masks the bug.

You need to use Component to benefit from progressive scan.
Old 09-06-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This info is from last year's models but it might be helpful to you in your decision. Check out this link for a very detailed review of the major progressive players from an unbiased source. If you dig deeper you'll even find examples of combing and the chroma bug so frequently discussed. I've always prefered Pannasonic DVD players as far as bang for the buck and they've never had the chroma bug. I bought the RP56 from last year for $200 and it gives a great picture to my 55819 Mits. Most all of this year's players still have the chroma bug since the majority of people never notice it or blame it on the transfer. But once it's pointed out to you, you'll see it every time.
Old 09-06-02, 10:33 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome info....thanks gang!
I'll do a bit more looking around and will look into the links that you all provided before making any hasty decisions!

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Sony and will be buying another Sony (model 875 - 301 disc changer) when it goes up for sale later this month. The chroma bug on a Sony is the most overrated complaint I have ever heard. It is such a nonissue it doesn't warrent lip service. I will always buy Sony for their outstanding equipment.
Old 09-07-02, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GMLSKIS
The chroma bug on a Sony is the most overrated complaint I have ever heard. It is such a nonissue it doesn't warrent lip service. I will always buy Sony for their outstanding equipment.
If the chroma bug on Sony players doesn't bother you, then more power to you, but it's very much an issue with many of us. Before we can determine of the problem really is "overrated," it would help to know what size and type pf display you're using. This will factor into the equation very heavily.

For what it's worth, I've had a Sony DVD player for four years now. Next month I'll be switching to a Denon DVD-1600 progressive, which is chroma-bug free.