Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help im going nuts

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking for a tv ,i seen a 36 jvc analog for 1200.00 at circuit city,has good pq good sound ,decent size screen,and i seen a 32 inch toshiba hd monitor for 1100.00,good pq good sound,i have dish and i watch a lot of dvds,the hd option at dish will cost me another 500.00,ive posted about this before i need to make a decision by tomorrow ,what would you do?
Old 09-03-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I would go with the HDTV and get the HD option for your dish. If you don't want to spend all that money right away, can you wait a while before getting the HD option for your dish?
Old 09-04-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm assuming the toshiba is widescreen and the jvc is 4:3. Get the toshiba, since it's widescreen and it's hd compatible plus 4" is not that big of a difference (you won't notice it at home). Use the money you saved to get a dish HD setup (BTW, try www.orbitsat.com or www.thesatelliteguy.com for cheaper HD setups or there's always ebay).
Old 09-04-02, 07:41 PM

opinions please

Well,i went to good guys and ended up ordering a mitsubishi ws48311 the total came to 2,409.99 thats with the 5 year warranty and free delivery and set up ,any opinions on this tv ,they told me they wont even be getting the tv s in the store until the 9th,please tell me i made a good choice.
Old 09-04-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Mits Widescreen HDTV's are great.

I'm sure you will be happy with your decision.
Old 09-05-02, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

socalgoblin for more updates and opinions of your Mits purchase check out Hometheaterspot.com . They have a large following of Mits owners in their forums and for a modest membership fee you can access the index of tweaks to make it look its best. I bought last year's 55819 and after doing the twaeks it looks fantastic. Good luck with it.
Old 09-05-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

chipmac -- do the tweaks really have that much impact? I have a mits 65819 that I haven't done anything to.
Old 09-05-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yrth- of course YMMV, but to my eyes and on my set the tweaks took a very good picture OOB and made it look fantastic like I said above. After performing manual and electrostatic focus I then adjusted overscan and convergance thru the serveice menu. I next adjusted contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness using AVIA. Then I disabled SMV thru the service menu. For the final tweak I installed duvatyne material on the insides of the set to remove stray light reflections which improved black level and color purity. Since my set's red push can't be fixed in the service menu I followed their instructions on how to build a red push attenuator for my componant input on my progressive scan DVD player. If I had a PC I could remap the EEPROMs to remove this fom all inputs plus other tweaks that aren't accessible from the service menu. All of this was very easy to do following the instructions posted there by ISF calibrators and other people who have also proved that these tweaks work. After all was done I popped in a DVD of Training Day and thought I was watching HD.