Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who do you want to win American Idol and Why?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who do you want to win American Idol and Why?
Kelly Clarkson
72.41%
Justin Guarini
10.34%
Don't watch the show
17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the big final only about 40 mins away who do you want to win? AOL have had a poll so i thought i'd get one going on here.

AOL RESULTS:

Kelly Clarkson 119923 82%

Justin Guarini 26259 17%

Total votes: 147593

I agree with AOL voters IMO Kelly has the best voice and Justin is just a show off and thinks hes the best in the show
So what do you think?

Last edited by jhansla; 09-03-02 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I must admit, I've grown tired of all the ranting/raving against/about some of the contestants. Aside from a few who took early exits, each of these contestants has had some quality to him/her. So many people hated Justin or Nikki with a passion I could never understand. Justin's certainly not my favorite, and I didn't want Nikki to win, but they aren't the evil monsters some want them to be.

That being said, I am rooting for Kelly and believe if she sings well, she'll be the winner. If Justin has a stunning performance and Kelly seriously stumbles, there might be the chance of an upset, but even under those circumstances, I think it's a longshot.

My guess would be that Kelly has been in the lead most of the last few episodes to begin with. On top of that, I believe she'll get nearly all of those who voted for Tamyra and more than half of those who voted for Nikki. I think people voted for Tamyra because she could sing well, something Kelly is superior in. People who voted for Nikki because she's hot will likely vote for Kelly. People who voted for Nikki because she's "different" probably resent Justin for his "look" and will also vote for Kelly. Apart from all of that, I wouldn't expect any straight men to vote for Justin; however, it would not surprise me if a large number of females voted for Kelly. When Kelly wins, the girls can blame themselves for forcing their husbands/boyfriends to watch.

I want Kelly to win. I think Kelly will win. But, hey, I'm not a teenage girl, so what the hell do I know.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-03-02 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
But, hey, I'm not a teenage girl, so what the hell do I know.

das
Man I had you figured wrong all this time!

Anyway I hope Kelly wins. I would like to see someone with a great voice win and honestly when I look at all the contestants over the course of this show I look at who would I buy a CD from it was only came down to Kelly and Tamyra. So glad to see her in the final and hope she wins.
Old 09-03-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
Man I had you figured wrong all this time!
Two more months!!!! Can't wait to see my first PG-13 film!!!!

das
Old 09-03-02, 08:59 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Cause she's a good singer and a Texan, Ya'll!
Old 09-03-02, 09:06 PM

Guess who voted for Justin?

41 year old married father of 3 (it's all a front, I know).

I guess I do like siding with the underdog....

As I've said before, he is multi-talented, unique, and charismatic. I can see him being successful in television. Kelly, to me, is like a bodybuilder who only does curls...huge biceps, but needs to work on the rest of her skills to be an well rounded IDOL. Or something like that.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 09-03-02 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 10:27 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
I hope that Kelly wins, but for only one reason... having the mantle of an American Idol can either help or hinder your career... and Justin (my favorite) can come up from behind and have a better career... without having that pressure...

"Remember, for every Jesse Camp there's a Dave Holmes!"

... and you can quote me on that!

Oh, I voted for Justin.
Old 09-03-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't watch the show but from what I've head both of these people are very talented.
Old 09-04-02, 12:09 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
seen the last couple of eps, ignored tonights, and based on that I would pick Kelly, she has a really good voice, Justin is all show I think. without the afro he would be long gone.
Old 09-04-02, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
I vote for Justin ... just because I think he represents what I think is an American Idol. I think Kelly is the better singer ... but it's also a business and he has the better overall package ...

On a totally unrelated point....

Goldberg said
"Remember, for every Jesse Camp there's a Dave Holmes!"

I remember Jesse and Dave from the MTV VJ thing ... I cannot believe they keep a boring as white bread guy who resembles my everyone of my cousins to some one who is actually interesting .... AND who actually WON the competition and had the MOST VOTES. That is like taking the second place winner of Idols and giving her the long term contract while thanking the WINNER for showing up.
Old 09-04-02, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really don't care at this point. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with Kelly, based on her voice.

Originally posted by chowderhead
I remember Jesse and Dave from the MTV VJ thing ... I cannot believe they keep a boring as white bread guy who resembles my everyone of my cousins to some one who is actually interesting .... AND who actually WON the competition and had the MOST VOTES. That is like taking the second place winner of Idols and giving her the long term contract while thanking the WINNER for showing up.
^ Well, It's not like they kicked Jesse out. Don't you remember he started up his own band and sold a grand total of about 4000 cds? Besides, Jesse is annoying as hell. Yes, Dave Holmes is annoying too, but Jesse is like finger nails on a chalk board.
Old 09-04-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by Big Quasimodo
As I've said before, he is multi-talented, unique, and charismatic. I can see him being successful in television. Kelly, to me, is like a bodybuilder who only does curls...huge biceps, but needs to work on the rest of her skills to be an well rounded IDOL. Or something like that.
To me, isn't an "idol" someone that other people want to be like? if you idolize someone, don't you wish you were them in some way?

I think a LOT of teenage girls wish they were like Kelly.

But I'll be damned if I can find a guy who will admit he wants to be like Justin.
Old 09-04-02, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho
To me, isn't an "idol" someone that other people want to be like? if you idolize someone, don't you wish you were them in some way?

I think a LOT of teenage girls wish they were like Kelly.

But I'll be damned if I can find a guy who will admit he wants to be like Justin.
Per m-w.com:

Idol means an object of extreme devotion.

Ideal means one regarded as exemplifying an ideal and often taken as a model for imitation.

I view the American Idol contest as finding the next American "teen" idol, as the terms have become greatly associated in our society. Anyways, I am thinking of someone who would be like a David Cassidy, Leif Garrett, Britney Spears, etc type performer. But that conceptualization is based solely on my personal perception. All of those Idols had limited singing ability, but had legions of devoted fans due to their "total package" - charisma, sex appeal, dance, "personality", singing, etc.

To me, Justin's an Idol, and Kelly is a singer. I do think, from these and other message boards, that most people view this as a talent contest, and not a seach for an idol.

I would like to see Justin win, but Kelly is deserving from the standard of who has the strongest voice and greatest vocal range. I definitely think that Justin will sell more albums and stay in the public eye longer than Kelly. But ultimately, I see him on sitcoms. Anyway, both Justin and Kelly, and many of the other finalists will be riding the American Idol theme for the next year or so anyway. Whether they can create an identity as anything other than a contestent or winner of American Idol is another thing altogether.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 09-04-02 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-04-02, 12:27 PM
Cool New Member

FWIW, the last several weeks My wife and I have cast our vote and we ALWAYS got a lot of busy signals while voting for Kelly.
Last night I pressed redial about 50 times to get 2 votes in. With only 2 contestents though, Justim's line was probably just as hard to get through as well.
Old 09-04-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It should be interesting to see who won. USAToday did a poll with over 80% voting for Kelly. If Justin wins then we know the teenage girls burned up the parents phone lines.
Old 09-04-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by vapoRware
It should be interesting to see who won. USAToday did a poll with over 80% voting for Kelly. If Justin wins then we know the teenage girls burned up the parents phone lines.
I was watching CNN in the wee hours of the morning and they said Vegas bookies said the odds were 3:2 in Justin's favor. We'll see tonight!
Old 09-04-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth the aftermath •<HR SIZE=1>I was watching CNN in the wee hours of the morning and they said Vegas bookies said the odds were 3:2 in Justin's favor. We'll see tonight! <HR SIZE=1>

I read 6:5 in Justin's favor and even odds on Kelly. Dunno where that was from or why.

das
Old 09-04-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the record company is already soliciting a single by Kelly Clarkson (it showed up this morning on new release sheets from BMG/RCA) so I guess they have already declared the winner.

It is rather funny considering that this release update would have to have been compiled in advance before being sent overnight.

I think we now know why Fox has avoided releasing any hard vote numbers to the public. This way they can get the promotional ball rolling in advance for the pre-ordained winner.
Old 09-04-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont really have a preference, but i really hope that these two can actually sing and maybe they will help us get out of teen pop lip sync hell that we are in now.
Old 09-04-02, 04:57 PM

Rooting for Justin because I bet my wife back when they cut it to 10 that he would win.

Kelly is by far the better singer but don't you think all the 12 year old girls are going to vote for Justin?