Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen Altman's M*A*S*H and have a view on the transfer quality ?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen a lot of Altman movies recently: Gosford Park, MaCabe & Mrs Miller, Short Cuts and Gingerbread Man. I'm keen on seeing MASH but I've heard a lot of negative things about the picture transfer. I'd be grateful to hear forum members' views about the Region 2 release, particularly more positive messages. Thanks !
Old 08-31-02, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...The film is presented in Anamorphic 2.35:1 Widescreen. After 32 years, any film is going to start showing some age, and that is the case with M*A*S*H, but thanks to this restoration, the effects of aging are not so great. The print still exhibits a bit of dirt and other imperfections, but those problems are kept to a minimum. For the most part, the restoration allows the film a good deal of color saturation - the greens that dominate the film actually looks green, something that cannot be said of previous home video incarnations. Previous editions on both VHS and Laserdisc have been on the muddy side, in some cases lacking any significant detail, and making the viewing of the film rather painful. That is not the case with this new transfer. The film still has a bit of a gritty feel to it, but it is gritty in a film-like way, and not because of poor quality print or transfer (and Altman was going for a dirty look with the picture, using certain filters to achieve such an effect). The image is slightly on the soft side, but it is much more detailed than any other home video version. Backgrounds, even in the darkest, dullest lighting are easily made out, and the image is stable, with only the slightest bit of flicker (that is not bad enough to be distracting). The newly restored image may not produce a night and day difference from previous editions because there are still noticeable problems, but the results provide a major improvement over any edition that has come before, and it is likely that this will be the best M*A*S*H will ever look. The DVD itself is problem free, and serves its purpose to present this restoration in the best possible way.
...from Michael Riesenbeck's review on the DVD Angle site of the Five Star Edition...

...what more do you want ?... get the movie and enjoy ! ! !...

. . . . . .