Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone play on a rear projection TV?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any issues with image burning while using a projection television. I just got a Gamecube and don't want to f-up my TV. Any info would be great.
Old 08-29-02, 06:08 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I haven't gotten my RPTV, which will be a 47" Panny, but I will be playing widescreen games onit, because I have a 4:3 tv to play non widescreen games(that don't look good stretched). Put as long as you turn the contrast way down you should be fine
Old 08-29-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do. 50 inch Toshiba. I haven't had any problems. I'm not one to sit playing games for 5 straight hours though.

A lot of games come with a way to move the screen around. I try and do that every so often if I'm playing a game a lot.

A properly calibrated (Avia) set shouldn't have any problem with a little caution.
Old 08-29-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about for a plasma tv?

My wife wants one of those and I'm just curious how it might be effected using games.

I'm guessing you can't really do it with projector and screen though.
Old 08-29-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been playing my XBOX on a 55" Toshiba RPTV since last December with no problems.....
Old 08-29-02, 08:59 PM

I have been playing various consoles on my 50" Toshiba for several years now. I have had no problems with burn-in. I feel that burn-in with video games is a thing of the past. As someone else stated, pretty much every game nowdays has movement all over the screen, which is all you need. The only thing that causes burn-in is having a static image on the screen, as some of the OLD classics had (The mazes in Pac-man, etc.) The same holds for plasma, there is not any worry with burn-in.

As far as burn-in images, I am more paranoid about watching the same TV channels too much... the channel logos they stick on the bottom are horrible!
Old 08-29-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You will still need to be cautious with games that have lives, scores, or other statistics in fixed places on the screen--these can cause burn-in. Crank down the contrast when playing these types of games and you should be fine . . .
Old 08-30-02, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I've had my 55" Panny for a year+ with no burn in from Xbox, N64, or Super NES.
Old 08-30-02, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by BigDave
What about for a plasma tv?

My wife wants one of those and I'm just curious how it might be effected using games.

I'm guessing you can't really do it with projector and screen though.
Actually, plasma tvs can be affected by burn in, as plasma tvs use phosphors, just like the tubes in regular front projection, rear projection, and direct view tvs. On a plasma, if someone watches a lot of 4:3 aspect ratio tv without stretching the image, its possible for 'boxes' to appear on the left and right of the centered 4:3 image. I personally hate watching stretched 4:3, so it will be a while before I get a 16:9 ratio tv.

All projector TVs have the problem that their picture tubes (usually three) run very hot compared to direct-view tvs. So, over time, the picture will dim faster and can burn in quicker if the same image is shown long enough (over days-weeks). Front projectors are probably the most susceptible, as the tubes run the hottest.

I know someone whose family had CNN on continuously after 9/11, and on their RPTV, the scroll bar at the bottom and the channel logo eventually burned into the image!!

I have a 53" Sony XBR rear projection TV I've used for around 6-8 years now and I still play games on it, sometimes for 8-10 hour marathons. Whenever I take a break I change the video in to TV or something else that refreshes the whole screen.

I think it also helps to crank down the brightness/contrast. Get one of those AV system tuning discs, like Video Essentials, and you'll get the picture just right, though it may be a little dark for some people.
Old 08-30-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If you leave your game on pause for a month or two, then there might be some burn-in, but I don't think you should worry about it too much otherwise.
Old 08-30-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine actually has a Video Game setting, I never use it but it's supposed to make the colors look a bit better. I don't think it's an issue anymore.

I wouldn't leave it on overnight with a game paused to play it safe, but I always turn the TV off on the rare occasions I do that.
Old 03-14-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts
What's the longest time you guys have played a game on your RPTV?

The reason I ask if some buddies and I are hooking up 4 Xboxs tomorrow for some old-fashioned Halo deathmatches and I know we will be playing at least 6 hours straight. Halo does have the static sheild & weapons displays.

Any problems to worry about? I have had my TV professionally calibrated so the contrast is in check. Just trying to put my mind at ease. Thanks.
Old 03-14-03, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Most RPTV's definately have brightness and contrast cranked way too high. These default settings are sometimes called "scorch mode" because of the increased risk of burn-in. I used Avia to set the levels on my set. I modified 2 of the built-in modes to compensate for light level in the room. Console games and DVD's look great.
Old 03-14-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a 50 frag game will only last 10 minutes or so, and then the screen cycles to the game report, so you should be allright.
Old 03-14-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the conference rooms at my work has a plasma screen hooked up to a PC for presentations and such. The "My Computer" icon is permanently burned into the screen, as are some other static windows icons and bars. Be careful.
Old 03-14-03, 08:28 PM
Banned

It will be fine as long as you turn the contrast and picture down to half of the company pre sets. Ive had mine since december and havent had a prob yet.
Old 03-14-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I play lots of videogames on our 53" rptv, zero burn in from it. That being said, we do have the Weather Channel logo burnt into the upper left hand corner of our screen - my dad has a habit of leaving it on that damn channel.
Old 03-14-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How's duck hunt on these tv's?
Old 03-14-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm glad to read all of these optimistic, yet cautious reports. I've had a 47" Panny for about 2 months now, and I've played about 2 hours of games on it. It's calibrated with Avia, but I'm still too nervous to play on it for much more than an hour or so. Maybe when the "new" wears off I'll play more games on it.
Old 03-16-03, 07:10 AM

been playing on my 61" hitachi for a couple of years with no problem, though i don't play for hours on end like i use too, got my cube hooked up right now w/component cables and waiting for the ps2 price drop so i can get a second one hooked up and get back into it as the kids are currently holding my first one hostage.