DVD Talk
network adapter to USB modem HELP!! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : network adapter to USB modem HELP!!


dasmooth1
08-28-02, 10:03 AM
Hi All..

I purchased the Network adapter but i currently have a USB modem provided by AOL, how can i connect the adapter to my high speed connection?

I beleive the network adapter uses a ethernet cable, but i only have a USB modem with nowhere to plug anything in.

Is there an adapter or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

TaTTooD
08-28-02, 10:16 AM
seems like you'd just need a usb to ethernet adapter...here is an example of one:

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBToEthernetAdapter/intro/USBtoEth.asp?pid=USB-10BT


you could probably pick one up at any best buy, circuit city, comp usa, or any other computer retailer or else find one online somewhere

Adam Tyner
08-28-02, 10:19 AM
According to http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/usb_modems.htm , your only alternatives for sharing a network connection device that has a USB LAN connection are:

Get a router with a USB Host interface. The only one known as of January 2002 is the Draytek Vigor 2200USB DSL Router with built in 4-port Ethernet switch (http://practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=427). It's now available in the United States from Best Systems Direct (http://www.bestsystemsdirect.com/). Check out our review (http://practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=427).

Use your PC (or Mac) and a software sharing application to share the connection.

Replace the DSL modem with a combination modem/router if your broadband service provider allows it.

TaTTooD: The item you linked to looks like Ethernet-in/USB-out, which is the opposite of what is being asked for here.

TaTTooD
08-28-02, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ctyner




TaTTooD: The item you linked to looks like Ethernet-in/USB-out, which is the opposite of what is being asked for here.


maybe they sell the opposite? :lol:


doesnt usb TO ethernet mean you want to connect it to an ethernet cable so it should be the right thing. at least thats what i gathered from reading it

Adam Tyner
08-28-02, 10:29 AM
If you find 'the opposite', be sure to post a reply to this thread. ;)

According to http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_ethernet_adapter.html :

Unfortunately, USB to ethernet converters which will convert a USB DSL/Cable modem to ethernet do not exist. The problem being that there is no way to load the necessary drivers onto a DSL/Cable modem to let it know how to talk to the converter.

doesnt usb TO ethernet mean you want to connect it to an ethernet cable so it should be the right thing. at least thats what i gathered from reading itLook at the picture or read the description a little more closely.

TaTTooD
08-28-02, 10:40 AM
i was way off i guess :lol:

either way it looks like its gonna be a little expensive for him to get it to work :(



there's always a USB network adapter to use instead of the official sony one:

http://www.neversoft.com/online_guide/gettingstarted/hardware.htm



this seems like the best bet though:


Replace the DSL modem with a combination modem/router if your broadband service provider allows it.

dasmooth1
08-28-02, 10:45 AM
thanks for the help guys. it looks like i'm not the only one completely confused on this subject.

So far i've tried calling AOL (modem provider) only to have them transfer me to voicemail, SONY tech support, only to have a message tell me to call back, radio shack, who wasn't too sure and now i'm trying comp-usa, who is currently checking their website...

I thought maybe a router might do the trick, does that make sense to anyone? I'd hate to have to shell out 100 bucks just to get my PS2 online, but it is an option...any thoughts?

and thanks again for the quick responses!!!

dasmooth1
08-28-02, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TaTTooD
[B]i was way off i guess :lol:

either way it looks like its gonna be a little expensive for him to get it to work :(



there's always a USB network adapter to use instead of the official sony one:

http://www.neversoft.com/online_guide/gettingstarted/hardware.htm



By the way, i have the actiontek modem that is mentioned on that website, it's USB and is provided by AOL.

nshing
08-28-02, 12:21 PM
dasmooth1:

You cannot directly connect the PS2 with the Actiontec USB modem provided by AOL.

You have two options both of which require you to setup an ethernet network. The first option is to setup an ethernet network between your PC and the PS2. The PC will act as an internet server using the Actiontec USB to connect to the internet.

The second option is to upgrade your modem with the Broadxent Modem currently provided by AOL. This modem is an external modem that can be connected to an ethernet network. You will need an ethernet hub/switch or an ethernet router to share the dsl modem with the PS2 and the PC.

Check the AOL plus forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/aolplus
for more details.

dasmooth1
08-28-02, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by nshing
dasmooth1:

You cannot directly connect the PS2 with the Actiontec USB modem provided by AOL.

You have two options both of which require you to setup an ethernet network. The first option is to setup an ethernet network between your PC and the PS2. The PC will act as an internet server using the Actiontec USB to connect to the internet.

The second option is to upgrade your modem with the Broadxent Modem currently provided by AOL. This modem is an external modem that can be connected to an ethernet network. You will need an ethernet hub/switch or an ethernet router to share the dsl modem with the PS2 and the PC.

Check the AOL plus forum at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/aolplus
for more details.

Thanks for the help Nshing..I actually just ordered the new modem from AOL that you mentioned, it was only after 4 different calls and massive hold times that I was told that all I needed would be this new modem. I appreciate everyones help on this, I knew that this would eventually be the place with the most knowleadgeable folks that could help me solve my problem.