Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Beverly Hillbillies' to become reality show

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Beverly Hillbillies' to become reality show

HOLLYWOOD, California (Reuters) -- CBS is resurrecting "The Beverly Hillbillies" as a reality series, Variety reports.

The network will soon begin casting for a weekly half-hour series that will follow the adventures of a rural, lower-middle class family -- yes, there will be a granny -- as they are transplanted from their humble digs to a Beverly Hills mansion. The project is tentatively titled "Real Beverly Hillbillies."

During their one-year stay in California, they'll be afforded a wide variety of luxuries they'd normally be unable to afford, from maid service to personal assistants. They'll also have a chance to earn a substantial income each week, either via a stipend or through some other means.

Cameras will watch their every move as the rural clan attempts to fit in with folks who eat at the Grill rather than use a grill, or who shop at Harry Winston instead of Wal-Mart. And while the series will focus on a group of five or six, it's expected their extended family will also stop by for a visit sometime during their stay in the mansion.

CBS vice president of alternative programming Ghen Maynard said the series will have a humorous tone, though with a respect for the family and some elements of drama.

Link

I wonder if there will be a Cops crossover episode.
Old 08-28-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only that finds this offensive for some reason?

"Let's get some poor people and give them a bunch of money and watch how they freak out! Then after we've made a bunch of money off of watching them, we'll dump them back where came from!"

yuck.
Old 08-28-02, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shouldnt FOX be doing this?

This really sounds like some P.O.S. show they would place along side "Glutton Bowl II"
Old 08-28-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, do they get their own cement pond too?!?

Are these (non) reality shows ever gonna go away?
Old 08-28-02, 02:21 PM
Suspended

What next?

WKRP in Cincinnati: LIVE - Watch a group of people attempt to run a second-string radio station!

Hogan's Hereos - LIVE: Laugh at the comedy antics of a group of people attempting to escape from the Nazis?

And the hits just keep on coming. . . .
Old 08-28-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm with ya, Boat. Big icks.
Old 08-28-02, 03:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Althought the idea sucks, if they were to ask me I would do it in a second, a year with all the money you need?

I would be spiriting money away all over the place, so that when the show was over I would be sorted.

So would you go on the show?
Old 08-28-02, 03:29 PM
Banned

I hate reality shows and never watch any of this American Idol, Dog Eat Dog, etc. I watched one episode of the Osbornes and I've seen one episode of Survivor and wasn't too interested in either show,

BUT THIS I WOULD WATCH!!!

This has potential for some real comedy evolving out of real situations. I will watch this show for sure, that is I WOULD watch the show, because I know that CBS will f**k the show up by making the family perform various stupid stunts and other fabricated versions of drama in order to earn that "weekly stipend" described in the article. Rather than present live reality they will opt for "Road Rules" style fabricated reality. Too bad, because it could have been great.

They should call the show Joe 6 Pack and in the first episode the whole family could go to Best Buy to get a DVD player and b!tch about them black bars.
Old 08-29-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I hate reality shows and never watch any of this American Idol, Dog Eat Dog, etc. I watched one episode of the Osbornes and I've seen one episode of Survivor and wasn't too interested in either show,

BUT THIS I WOULD WATCH!!!

This has potential for some real comedy evolving out of real situations. I will watch this show for sure, that is I WOULD watch the show, because I know that CBS will f**k the show up by making the family perform various stupid stunts and other fabricated versions of drama in order to earn that "weekly stipend" described in the article. Rather than present live reality they will opt for "Road Rules" style fabricated reality. Too bad, because it could have been great.

They should call the show Joe 6 Pack and in the first episode the whole family could go to Best Buy to get a DVD player and b!tch about them black bars.

I agree. This sounds like one of the best ideas for a reality show that I have ever heard. I would definitely check this out.
Old 08-29-02, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

"ICK" yes - but I would watch.

the question is what do they do with these people after the show. Ok give it all back and back to the hills with you.

This could mess them up big time.
Old 08-29-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BadlyHealingBoy
I would be spiriting money away all over the place, so that when the show was over I would be sorted.
Except since YOU know how to use a computer (and perhaps even own one), you'd not be considered a "rube" and therefore too bright to be on the show.

I just think this borders on exploitative... I mean isn't it just shy of human cruelty (like that found in Great Expectations but with the humiliation factor being much higher)?
Old 08-29-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't wait til...Buffy The Vampire Slayer LIVE!

a teenager, a wooden stake, a cemetary, and a camera!
Old 08-29-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This show already exists. It's called "The Anna Nicole Show".
Old 08-29-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by costanza187
I can't wait til...Buffy The Vampire Slayer LIVE! a teenager, a wooden stake, a cemetary, and a camera!
... or why not a REAL Series 7?
Old 08-29-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by devilpants

How true!
Old 08-29-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid...and, well this is the stupidest piece of sh*t that tv execs have come up with in at least a couple of weeks, or since, like devilpants said, "The Anna Nicole Show."

does there ol' pickup come with a dog and a gunrack, because in West Virginia they do (I have seen it with me own eyes).

"I don't even have A gun, let alone Many guns, that would necessitate an entire rack." (or something to that effect)
Old 08-31-02, 01:38 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Now FOX is getting into the mix with Green Acres.
08/30/2002 22:34:02 EST
Fox Plans 'Green Acres' Reality Show

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Fox network is looking for a rich family willing to move from the big city to the boondocks for a reality-TV version of the 1960s sitcom "Green Acres."

Earlier this week, CBS announced plans to turn "The Beverly Hillbillies" sitcom in to a reality show about poor people moving into a mansion.

Fox claims to have had its "Green Acres" idea first, according to the trade newspaper Variety.

Producers said they are still arranging the details of the show, and may consider hiring a celebrity to participate in the experiment.

"I see a limo with a U-Haul attached," said Jon Murray, executive producer of the new show. "There's going to be wonderful humor in this show, as there is with anyone who's a fish out of water."

The reality show would be a take-off on the 1965-1971 sitcom in which wealthy socialites Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor had comic misadventures in the hayseed town of Hooterville.

However, Fox does not yet own the rights to the name "Green Acres," and may ultimately decide to use another title, Variety said.
Old 08-31-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Mildred we gotta sign up for that show coming on about the Beverly Hillbillies! Whoo doggie, they gonna make us rich. We can buy all the beer we want and get drunk every daggone day cuz theyre paying for evrything. Yessiree bob, I tell you what, no more letting friends sleep in the cars up on blocks in the frontyard, we gonna be livin in style! I just hope they got some game out there, I want to take my coon dog. Maybe theyll have me a truck I can drive with a dog box in the back. Yeah youd like that wouldnt you Otis?
Old 08-31-02, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Oh man, this is great! I would watch this show just to laugh my arse off. Imagen, granny in the middle of the beverly shopping center with a shotgun looking for some supper!

I do agree that Fox should be doing this. I don't know. sometimes you just have to watch the stuff like if it is a train wreck, you can't just turn away from it, you just have to look.

then again, the show has to have a little heart. this is what makes the Anna nicole smith show crap and Ozzy's show take off. you kinda have to feel bad for the guy. and he's funny. Anna nicole is just plain annoying. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Old 09-01-02, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by devilpants

True very true but I wouldn't watch this train wreck of a show anyway since there are better things to see.

Last edited by DJ_Spyder; 09-01-02 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-01-02, 08:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

What if the poor family were transported to Beverly Hills by CBS and were then moved to the boondocks as a "rich" family by Fox?
Old 09-01-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't give the networks any ideas.