Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

ps2 network adapter reviews???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-27-02, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so anyone out there who was lucky enough to get their hands on one; any reviews for us?

i'd like info on:

ease of install
ease of connection
playabilty and fun
connections with other people

that is...if anyone can stop playing long enough!

thanks!
Old 08-29-02, 01:49 PM

Since I have AOL, I will not know for a long time how good it is. The damn thing won't work with AOL DSL. It would have been nice to know that BEFORE I spent $60 on SOCOM!
Old 08-29-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ease of install - Can't get much easier. Since everything is configured on my router, I used all of the 'automatic' settings. Add a couple of minutes of setup time if you have to enter ISP settings.

Other than a penny (or other coin), no tools are required. The expansion port door pops right off. After the NA is placed in the port (don't forget to remove the plastic covering over the connector), you just tighten down the screws with the coin.

From there, just plug your phone line in (or ethernet) and boot up the PS2 with the disc in.

ease of connection - Depends on the game. I had a little trouble getting into the madden servers, but it wasn't too bad. SOCOM was a bit of a mess, due to high demand (didn't they see that coming?).

playabilty and fun - I don't care for NFL football at all, I play NCAA 2003. I bought Madden today at lunch just for online play. It's a different game when you know there's a human at the other end. Obviously it depends on the game, but there's a lot of potential for fun online play.

connections with other people - I didn't experience any lag. I know I was playing with some 56k'ers (I have ISDN), but everything was smooth. Establishing a connection with another player is done from within the game (you don't connect and then start the game).
Old 08-29-02, 04:09 PM
Banned

Easy as pie to install.
Easy as pie to setup.
Easy as pie to get into Madden server.
Old 08-29-02, 04:39 PM

I just got mine today too. I have dsl and show up 5 out of 5 greens on madden, and great in nfl 2k3.

the install was simple. you just remove the expansion bay cover on your ps2, remove a peice of plastic covering the connector on the NA, and place the NA in the bay. then just use a coin and screw in the 2 screws to hold em together. after that you just boot up with the start up disc and the program guides you through everything. it was flawless.

playing football online is amazing. both football games had a bit of lag, very little, but madden seemed to lag a bit more. especially in play calling. during the game it was a bit lagged too, a bit annoying for the running game.

I haven't tried frequency, and my socom just shipped from amazon. I think sony has a hit.

problems I've encountered...madden crashed on logging off. my ps2 is buried into my home theater and is a pain to get to, so it was annoying to have to move some stuff to hit the power from the back of the ps2. the reset button didn't work at all.

there are cheaters in 2k3 already. either that or the game is buggy. I stopped my oponent at his 15. on the first play, the ball zoomed accross the field like a bullet pass and ended up on my 15. the next play, started on my 15 with him having a 1st and 10. I wish there was a way to chat, so I coulda asked what happened.
Old 08-29-02, 04:57 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by postermen
Since I have AOL, I will not know for a long time how good it is. The damn thing won't work with AOL DSL. It would have been nice to know that BEFORE I spent $60 on SOCOM!
No it will work. Unfortunately, You just have to call AOL and pay an extra $5 a month for their "premium" PS2 gaming service.
Old 08-29-02, 05:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Flay

No it will work. Unfortunately, You just have to call AOL and pay an extra $5 a month for their "premium" PS2 gaming service.
Interesting. I wonder if Sony made a deal with AOL to help finance their servers with the blood of AOL users. I can't imagine any possible reason for AOL to need to charge extra.
Old 08-29-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pie.

I tried to get on-line with SOCOM today and was unsuccessful. I guess the server problem they were having is still there. Otherwise I had a great time playing Madden on-line until the other guy quit!

Overall, I'm thrilled! I just can't wait to get my QCast Tuner:

www.broadq.com

Check it out - it turns the PS2 into a media server that reads content from connected PCs. I have over 50GB of ripped tracks (9700+) that I ripped from my CDs, so I can't wait for this!
Old 08-29-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

easy to install
easy to setup
I have had more fun playing madden today than I have on video games in years
Plenty of people to play. No lag and it's all fun
Old 08-29-02, 10:34 PM
Banned

Took 3 hours to do install and setup.

Why?

cuz when i moved my ps2 after trying to hook it up in a different place. I forgot to plug in the ethernet cord. suck. I forgot about it. and kept trying and kept wondering why it wouldn't work. figured it out. now playing tony hawk 3 and madden continouisly.

oh and it is easy as finding a penny on the ground at a taco bell drive-thru window.
Old 08-30-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played my first full game of Madden online last night. It was a blast. Playing online against a human completely changes the game.
Old 08-30-02, 07:02 AM

The only time consuming part of the process was entering in my information using the onscreen keyboard. Everything else was a snap! I'd say that it took me about five minutes total to get online after I installed the adapter.
Old 08-30-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mrglass, I agree. I will be looking for a usb keyboard now. It will probably come in real handy when Tribes comes out anyway.
Old 08-30-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by s}{ammer
mrglass, I agree. I will be looking for a usb keyboard now. It will probably come in real handy when Tribes comes out anyway.
Can you use just any 'ole USB keyboard and mouse with a PS2?
Old 08-30-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmm...could I hook up my KVM switch to my PS2? I'd still use my TV for output, but would my USB keyboard and USB mouse still work?
Old 08-30-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I bought a cheap $10 USB keyboard and mouse a week ago, and it seemed to work, but the cord was too short! Take into consideration how far your PS2 is from you when you look into buying these peripherals. I took them both back and will probably get a SharkBoard for $20 or a PS/2 to USB adapter so I can use a keyboard and mouse I already own.
Old 08-30-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I am pretty sure any of them work. I saw a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard for $50 on Amazon.
Old 08-30-02, 03:27 PM

I got my AO-Smell connection to work today. I am signed up under the unlimited plan if that makes any difference. I really like Madden online even with my crap 56k connection.
Old 08-30-02, 08:43 PM

AOL will only work with dial up. I just got DSL, and they said it will be some time, ie. months, before I will be able to use it. I will probably return SOCOM to EB and get something else
Old 08-31-02, 06:25 PM

wow! thanks for all the input, guys!
it sounds like my fears about this inital rollout being a big suck-a thon are unfounded.
i'll be getting my network adapter soon!

thanks again
Old 08-31-02, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

went to compusa and best buy for either a cheap USB keyboard or the sharkboard and neither of them had any. I settled for a $30 logitech internet navigator keyboard that was mispriced at $20. It works fine.
Old 09-01-02, 01:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

I just picked a NA up, is it supposed to be loose and rattle when you pick it up and move it (or kinda shake it a little?)? I'm away from my place so can't hook it up until Monday or so.
Old 09-01-02, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think mine did that also. Kinda like the screws that screw it in or something.
Old 09-01-02, 02:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

Thanks S}{ammer
Old 09-01-02, 02:12 AM

damnit, it doesnt work with my network setup, be advised the adapter only likes to work with run of the mill hub/router/switch ethernet solutions.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.