Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ana Gasteyer to leave "SNL"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ana Gasteyer to leave "SNL"

Ok, so she already left, but I only got Wednesday's issue of Variety today.

Gasteyer ends 'SNL' gig
Thesp will star alongside 'Funny Girl's' Goldberg and Mullally

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Gemini's Twin may be looking for a new member: "Saturday Night Live" player Ana Gasteyer, whose characters included Jonette in the fake pop group, has left the sketch series after six years.
Gasteyer, who last season became the show's first pregnant castmember, said the departure was mutual and amicable.

" 'Saturday Night Live' was the ultimate laboratory for honing my versatility as a performer," she said. "As much as I will miss my enormously talented colleagues, I am looking forward to taking on new artistic challenges outside the realm of sketch comedy."

Gasteyer joins Will Ferrell in opting to depart "SNL" after the 2001-02 season. Gasteyer and Ferrell played middle-school music teachers Marty and Bobbi Moughan-Culp in a series of sketches featuring their offbeat renditions of contemporary songs.

Gasteyer's other characters included Margaret Jo, co-host of fictitious NPR show "Delicious Dish." She also parodied real-life figures such as Martha Stewart, Celine Dion and Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris.

The thesp recently has spent time on the legit stage, including making her Broadway debut in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as Columbia and appearing in "The Vagina Monologues" with Brooke Shields and Mercedes Ruehl.

Gasteyer will appear in Manhattan Theater Club's upcoming production "Kimberly Akimbo" and will co-star in the Actors' Fund benefit of "Funny Girl" alongside Whoopi Goldberg and Megan Mullally.
I'm going to miss her more than Will Ferrel...the NPR sketches were usually pretty good, although those Gemini's Twin sketches were not that great.
Old 08-27-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gemini's Twin was brilliant. Oooooooooo-ooo-ooooo-ooooo-oooooooooo-oooooooooo ... white people.

As for Ana, this is a big loss. "Fans" seem to always forget about the women that carry the show: Jane Curtin, Jan Hooks, Nora Dunn, Cheri Oteri, Ana Gasteyer, etc (unless you're a spazz like Shannon). Ana really stepped up when they stopped bringing Hooks on as a special guest, and she almost completely carried the show once Oteri and Shannon moved on. I love the "characters" as much as anyone, but it's those like Gasteyer and Kevin Nealon that ground the show and play straight to all the funny. They're essential to the show's success, and I hope Rudolph and Dratch can keep getting stronger to keep the show going. It wouldn't hurt to buy Debra Wilson from Mad TV, either.

das
Old 08-27-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now if only Chris Kattan would finally quit the show.
Old 08-27-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad. I will definitely miss Will Ferrell more than Ana Gasteyer, but I really liked their music teachers sketch.

Old 08-28-02, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Now if only Chris Kattan would finally quit the show.

Ditto. I look forward to the day I don't have to see a mango sketch on snl.
Old 08-28-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

She will be missed. And I think Kattan is comic genius.
Old 08-28-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tygloalex
She will be missed. And I think Kattan is comic genius.
Just because you want to make hot mango love to him doesn't mean he's a comic genius.

Old 08-28-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
who was she again?
Old 08-28-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
who was she again?

Old 08-28-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who was she again?
Exactly
Old 08-28-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

bum
bum
bum
bum
bum
Dog Show!
Old 08-28-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
who was she again?

A comic worthy of SNL HALL OF FAME STATUS.

"Shweaty balls"
"Music Teachers"
Old 08-28-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rachel Dratch and Amy Poehler will have to step up to be the backbone of the show now. Mya Rudolph still looks like a deer in the headlights in a lot of the sketches.

D
Old 08-28-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Derrich •<HR SIZE=1>Mya Rudolph still looks like a deer in the headlights in a lot of the sketches.

D
<HR SIZE=1>

I felt that way up until the second half of last season. I think she's starting to figure it out and will shine next season. We'll see.

das
Old 08-28-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that Mya Rudolph is starting to come around. It is really too bad about Ana Gasteyer. She has been my favorite female cast member for a long time. Much better than those overrated Cheri Oteri or Molly Shannon...
Old 08-28-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She has to be my all time least favorite SNL personality.
I hate her to no end.

I never laughed at a single skit she did.

Good ridance.
Old 08-28-02, 03:41 PM
Banned

If only the head writer/glasses chick would quit too, then maybe the show could go back to being something it hasn't been in nearly 8 years, GOOD. All these chick cast members have turned the show into nothing but parrodies of stuff on MTV. I loath the SNL. Every year it gets worse and worse. It got so bad that the top tallent on the show were all women and every sketch started to be juvinile sex comedy. These chicks comic inspiration is American Pie 2.

Here is something I posted in another thread:
SNL needs to get rid of most of their current cast and replace them with some really top tallent. Having that glasses chick as head writer has done nothing but hurt the show. All the female cast members are horible and they dominate the show. The show is so preocupied with sex humor that there is no satire or parody, just repetitive (and unsuccessful) sex humor. Again I blame the female writers and cast members for this. I agree with the silent majority of comedy fans out there that has known the truth all along: Women aren't funny.

The lack of tallent from the female cast has materialized itself in the form of non-stop sex jokes. The show really re-enforces the old addage: When you're not funny, work blue.

For the record I'm no prude and love a dirty joke as much as the next guy. But with South Park and Kevin Smith pushing the bounderies, SNL comes off like an "also-ran" tame little p*ssy show in comparison.

Last edited by Pants; 08-28-02 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-28-02, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Pants m'man - I hate to agree with you, but you are spot on the money. I think the last truly great SNL cast was. . . . geeze as far back as Mike Myers, Dana Carvey and so on. There were a couple of bright moments from time to time since then, but nothing as consistently funny as from the era of the early 90's.

Well, nothing that's not Dan, Bill John, Jane, Garret, ect, I mean.

Even worse was when they used to run old classic clips during reruns (or for the Xmas special). It only hammered home just how far the show had fallen from it's days of greatness.

(To even further hurt SNL - there was a local comedy skit show that ran right before it. Almost Live was hands down the funniest, dependably entertaining show - far outstripping SNL. So while SNL has continued to struggle on life support, I didn't really notice or cared.)

I keep holding out hope that SNL will someday be funny again, but at this point I doubt it. It's like watching beloved old Uncle Fred waste away while in a coma. Sad really. . ..
Old 08-28-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a drag. She was the strongest female performer since the days of Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks. But on the plus side, Rachel Dratch is pretty good and Amy Poehler just keeps getting better. Speaking of Poehler, anyone remember the Upright Citizens Brigade? Now THAT'S a show that needs to be on DVD.
Old 08-29-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh no! Who will parody President Hillary in 2 years?

[Involuntary shudder.]
Old 08-29-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ana was ok. Not a stand-out like Cheri Oteri but alright. However, Ana's been on SNL for a long time. Her time was up IMO.
Old 08-29-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Derrich •<HR SIZE=1>Mya Rudolph still looks like a deer in the headlights in a lot of the sketches.

D
<HR SIZE=1>

I felt that way up until the second half of last season. I think she's starting to figure it out and will shine next season. We'll see.

das
I said this before, but it seems like every line she delivers just falls flat. And it's not because she's not trying. The audience hardly ever laughs at anything she does. At least on the episodes I've watched. Kind of sad.

I've also said this, this show is has been dead dead DEAD for a long time. I think the current cast is p-r-e-t-t-y bad. And I think I'm the only one who can't stand Jimmy Fallon. To me, he's just a shameless Mike Meyers wannabe with bad hair.
Old 08-29-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget her flawless impersonation of Celine Dion.

"I am the greatest singer in the world and I have the greatest song in the world! Neeaaaarrrr, faaaarrrrrr, whereevvveeeerrrr you are!!!!"

Old 08-29-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show would be a lot better if they showed reruns from 20 years ago.
Old 08-29-02, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
And I think I'm the only one who can't stand Jimmy Fallon. To me, he's just a shameless Mike Meyers wannabe with bad hair.
Well, you may not be the only one, but I *love* him. And unlike a previous post, I enjoy Tina Fey (The "chick with the glasses") and I feel like the statement that SNL should basically be a completely male show is a bit off the mark (made in an above post). Amy Poehler is definitely growing as a cast member (love the "I got one leg" sketch) and Rachel Dratch, while maybe not much to look at as some have pointed out in other threads, can be quite hilarious. Her Calista Flockhart is dead on.

Saying that, I think, hopefully, it will be a long time before Fey leaves. She and Fallon are much better than any of the Weekend Update hosts since Dennis Miller (who was possibly the best).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.