Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Schoolhouse Rocks rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Schoolhouse Rocks rocks!

I watched 3/5 of the shorts so far, plus all the extra shorts on disc 2. The picture is great considering the age. Nice bright colors and very little grain or specs. The sound is 2-channel, but I think it's mono. It's very clear though, and does the job fine. There's a new song that is in 5.1 & DTS, but it basically sounded mono too, so a remix might not have made much of a difference. There are 47 shorts on disc 1, plus 4 extra on disc 2. Lots of other nice extras as well. It has 4 music videos by new bands over the original videos from the great cd that was out a few years ago. The menus are very cool & kid friendly- they talk & tell kids what to enter for what. You can watch the shorts in order, in groups (math, grammar, etc.) or shuffle them all. Great songs & brought back many memories. My 16 month-old son seemed to enjoy the songs as well. As good a dvd as you could have hoped for.
Old 08-26-02, 09:33 PM

Did you notice anything goofy with the sound? The copy I had had was blaring from the center speaker with very muted music in the LR, but loud sound effects during the previews. Then, the actual SR content seemed to be several nothches lower in volume. I had to crank it up a bit to get it up to "normal" levels.

Otherwise a very cool set. My 5 yr old got into it!

Drebin!
Old 08-27-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried it in stereo mode on my receiver & it did sound weird, so I switched back to DD pro-logic, which just put it out the center speaker, but it sounded crisper.
Old 08-27-02, 11:24 PM

My only complaint about this set (apart from the fact that I wish they'd provided commentaries for all the songs instead of just 10) is that they seem to have missed out the "Introduction" song from the Scooter Computer series. I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't incessantly marketed it as EVERY Schoolhouse Rock song ever created.

And how cool would it have been if they could of included the SHR segment from the Simpsons?

"I'm not garbage! I'm an amendment to be, yes an amendment to be!"
Old 08-28-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This set definitely rocks hard!

My only gripe is the sound. Granted, i'm eternally grateful to Disney for putting this out, but after hearing the Nike commercial couldn't they have spent just a lil $$$ on cleaning up the songs? Other than that, this is definitely a must have. [not to mention the slim double alpha case!]
Old 08-28-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I think it's GREAT!!!!!!!! So awesome to have ALL of 'em on one DVD. Disc Two is cool two. A GREAT DVD and HIGHLY recommended. Perfect to put on for the kids, who love to watch it and can learn stuff in the process.