Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-orders from Ebgames.com?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-26-02, 12:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I'm confused. I pre-ordered a couple games from Ebgames.com for the first time ever (Super Mario Sunshine and Super Monkeyball 2) on two seperate orders. Both have the same ship date: today (8/26). I went to look them up today to see if they'd shipped yet and to my surprise they had two different order statuses:

Super Monkeyball 2 is listed as "Backordered." I can guess what that means...they haven't received any copies of the game to ship out. No problem there.

But Super Mario Sunshine is listed as "Suspend." I did some hunting on the site and there's no indication on what that means. Anybody know?

A followup question: I've noticed that Ebgames.com and Gamestop.com usually have the exact same daily deal. With all things being equal, who's the best to order from (i.e. who will get the game to me first).
Old 08-26-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called EB on Friday asking about the Suspend thing. They said it was because their order system was not working correctly with order status. He assured me my SMS would ship out today. I would guess both of your games will ship out today unless you ordered them after August 23, which seems to be the drop dead date between them getting sent out today or tomorrow.

As you can see now, EBGames is once again down for maintenance.

Forgot about your other question. I have ordered from both shipping out 2nd day air. With EB I get the game next day, with Gamestop it's 2nd day or after. You pick which one I usually go with
Old 08-26-02, 12:44 PM

That pretty much answers my questions, Agtfox...thanks!

Yeah, I ordered both games back in early July so I'll assume that they are both going to ship unless they tell me otherwise.

Reading on EBGames website it appears they have a deal with some of their vendors where the vendor will ship direct to the consumer rather than having to go through EB. That may be why your EB orders come quicker.
Old 08-26-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, all pre-orders before a certain date go to a 3rd party drop location. I was just letting people know you can get stuff next day by picking 2nd day
Old 08-29-02, 09:05 AM

Updates:

Mario arrived on Tuesday...they shipped it on Monday and used 1-day air, even though I'd ordered it for 2-day. That was a nice bonus that Agtfox already tipped me off on. But I had to call for tracking...nothing appeared on their webpage until Wednesday...one day AFTER I'd received the package. Not very helpful.

Still haven't received Monkey Ball. To my surprise, however, the tracking information is actually up. Even though it had the same release date as Mario, it was shipped yesterday (2 days late) and won't arrive until tomorrow (this one was shipped with 2-day)...even though my B&M EB has had this title on the shelf since the beginning of the week.

So far I have to give Ebgames.com a Thumbs Down. For next month, I have preordered Animal Crossing from Gamestop.com with next day shipping (release date 9/16). I'll see for myself then if their service is any better.
Old 08-29-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never had a problem with ebgames.com. Always got my items right on time. Sometimes your order status isn't updated very often. I bought a second PS2 from them last year after my launch unit broke. It wasn't until about a month ago did it finally say my order was complete. In fact, i just pre-ordered Metroid Prime and GTA Vince City using their free shipping coupons. combine that with no tax and its not a bad deal. especially for 1 day air.

Last edited by mljones99; 09-01-02 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 02:40 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

would you mind sharing these free shipping coupon codes?

i'm about to make a purchase myself.
Old 09-01-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by enthused
would you mind sharing these free shipping coupon codes?

i'm about to make a purchase myself.
The free shipping coupons are right on the website. Only certain games have them. For example, free ground shipping on Vice City or you can get 1 day air for $3. They did have free 1 day air on Metroid Prime but apparently they pulled that one.
Old 09-17-02, 12:27 PM

Another update:

This week was my test of Gamestop.com. I pre-ordered Animal Crossing from them with overnight shipping. The game was released yesterday. Yesterday evening I got a shipping notification via email complete with tracking number. No phone calls necessary, I knew exactly what was going on with my package.

Gamestop gets a from me. I'll be going with them from now on for my pre-orders.