Reload this Page >

The Official DVD Talk Madden 2003 PS2 League

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-26-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i spoke with broadwayblue about this league since he mentioned it in the other thread about the ps2 adapter so it looks like the two of us will organize and run this. i already am running another league so i have website made up and basically just transfered the bulk of it to another host to use for this league. i'm sure we can get 32 people that are interested and play the full NFL schedule and postseason. basically anyone that is interested should sign up here in this thread.

i think we should also take time in this thread to suggest rules and how we want the games played. pro-madden or all-madden difficulty? the norm in most leagues is 7 minute quarters....do we want this or maybe 8 minute quarters? other leagues have rules such as you cant move a defensive player individuallly until the ball is snapped (you can do line shifts though) since sometimes moving one guy can take advantage of the Madden AI. another rule some leagues use is no onside kicks unless youre losing and its towards the end of the game. another rule is you have to punt on 4th down regardless of how many yards/inches you have left unless its close to the end of the 1st half or game and youre losing. most of these rules are in place to make the games as realistic as possible and to prevent people from running up the score or taking advantage of another player. obviously another thing would be that we dont want any quiters playing. no one like to get their a$$ beat when theyre playing a game, but this league is for fun and quiting games cause youre losing doesnt make the league fun.

whoever signs up please give feedback on these rules or add some of your own that you'd like to see and we can discuss them. the internet adapter comes out this Thursday I believe. once we get 32 people that are interested we can have a lottery for teams and maybe do a week or two of exhibition games against other people to practice with your team. nothing is really set in stone so discussion here would be great.
Old 08-26-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i grabbed the names from the other thread for people that said they would be interested. i guess you can confirm it here or say you dont want in so we can have a sure list.

DVDTalk Name / Madden Name / connection type

broadwayblue - - broadband
Aghama - very unlikely maybe
mrglass - mrglass - broadband
Big Dave - Da Big Dave - broadband
TaTTooD - TaTTooD - broadband
The Cow
nyr4321 - Nyr4321 - broadband
duy37 - duy37 - broadband
RockyMtnBri - RockyMtnBri - broadband
zerotl - ZEROTL - broadband
JNielsen
jw2299 - Angry J - broadband
J-Dubya - JOE711 - broadband
monkeyhair - monkeyhair -
fjser
evenflowddt - MM.aenima - broadband
dasmooth1 - Kill imay - 56k
acidburnlk - AcidburnLK - 56k
S}{ammer - S}{ammer - broadband
donnie5 - donnie5 - 56k
qbert - erikiyo - broadband
dgmayor - DGMayor - broadband
drsifu - DrSifu - broadband
Krypto - - broadband
amplified - Amplified - broadband
jamieg47 - jamie47 -
Pretz4040 - - broadband
ivelostr2 - - broadband
tavarua88 - tavarua88 - broadband
MCSeffect - MCSeffect - broadband
uiucpimp - uiucpimp - dial up

the obvious requirements for the league would be you'd have to have a ps2, internet adapter, madden 2003, and some free time each week to play a game against your opponent that week.

i'm up for doing more then one week of the schedule per week, but 1 game a week might be more realistic...its something we can talk about as well.

here's the website.....its on a free host which does 1 popunder so if you just leave it alone till youre done with the site you can close it and be fine. if you close it right away it will popup again once you go to a new page.

http://www.bombdrop.curvedspaces.com/

Last edited by TaTTooD; 09-07-02 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-26-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

nice site...time to order my ethernet adaptor. what's the best deal currently?
Old 08-26-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by broadwayblue
nice site...time to order my ethernet adaptor. what's the best deal currently?

i dont know of any deals really, but if you want one and havent preordered it you better get to a store when they open otherwise you might be SOL
Old 08-26-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a very unlikely maybe. You might want to crosspost the announcement in the Sports forum.
Old 08-26-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I got NCAA 2003, not madden
Old 08-26-02, 04:45 PM

Count me in, but it will take a week or so for my new DSL account to get set up. I'm thinking of just buying a USB adapter instead of the Sony one. Any reason not to do this???
Old 08-26-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by donnie5
Count me in, but it will take a week or so for my new DSL account to get set up. I'm thinking of just buying a USB adapter instead of the Sony one. Any reason not to do this???

not really...they'll do the exact same thing...i thought about it too but it was so close to the release date i figured i'll just wait and get the ps2 adapter.

here's a link to which adapters work: http://www.neversoft.com/online_gui...dware.htm#modem
Old 08-26-02, 05:07 PM

I'm in...

I really like the punting on 4th down rule. I can remember many nfl 2k1 games getting out of hand because people would go for it on their own 5 yard line, and they had to get 15 yards to get a first down.

Back to my 49ers franchise...
Old 08-26-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When do you think you'll be starting this up? I'm definitely interested, but I won't have my PS2 Network Adapter untill Sept. 14 since I preordered it from EBword after the 21 of August.
Old 08-26-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nyr4321
When do you think you'll be starting this up? I'm definitely interested, but I won't have my PS2 Network Adapter untill Sept. 14 since I preordered it from EBword after the 21 of August.

as soon as we get 32 people that are ready to play
Old 08-26-02, 06:29 PM

Count me in. I'm looking to pick up the network adapter soon. Does anyone actually already have theirs? This week Best Buy ad says it available so I'll call and hopefully I can get one.

Who's going to get which team? I'm a newbie to Madden, so I would like the St. Louis Rams. its my fav team. Or I can settle for the San Diego Chargers. I'll probably lose alot games anyways. heh heh

Last edited by duy37; 08-26-02 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by duy37

Who's going to get which team? I'm a newbie to Madden, so I would like the St. Louis Rams. its my fav team. Or I can settle for the San Diego Chargers. I'll probably lose alot games anyways. heh heh

i figured we'd either do a lottery for a draft and people will select the teams they want based on their draft pick or else a straight lottery for teams.
Old 08-26-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, I wouldn't mind joining! I'd like to have the Broncos - I'm bummin' because when I update, I'm gonna lose Ed McCaffery! He's my go to guy!

A word of caution with buying any old USB adapter - I bought the Linksys USB100M and it didn't work. Does anyone have a different adapter that works? I want the Network Adapter 'cause I really want Twisted Metal Black On-Line!
Old 08-26-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri

A word of caution with buying any old USB adapter - I bought the Linksys USB100M and it didn't work. Does anyone have a different adapter that works? I want the Network Adapter 'cause I really want Twisted Metal Black On-Line!

the USB100TX (its black and red) is the Linksys one that works
Old 08-26-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll probably grab the USB100TX if I can't immediately grab the network adapter. Then, if I have to get it later, I can always return it for the Sony one. BTW, I'll be at Madden as RockyMtnBri!
Old 08-26-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
Hey, I wouldn't mind joining! I'd like to have the Broncos - I'm bummin' because when I update, I'm gonna lose Ed McCaffery! He's my go to guy!
why would you lose McCaffrey? he's got a pulled quad but is still expected to start in the opener
Old 08-26-02, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool - I thought he wasn't gonna make it!
Old 08-26-02, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by mrglass
I really like the punting on 4th down rule. I can remember many nfl 2k1 games getting out of hand because people would go for it on their own 5 yard line, and they had to get 15 yards to get a first down.
Were these league games or games against random lobby members? A league structure should take care of this cheesy, non-sim play without having any special rule.

If it doesn't, either the quality of coaches is far too low to have a successful league, or the game itself has the problem (i.e, far too much success on 4th down).
Old 08-27-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

rockymtnbri, check out www.cyberhigh.net for Broncos news. We have a huge bronco fanbase and are pretty much always up on the latest news.
Old 08-27-02, 09:22 AM

Count me in....

Do you guys have a tentative date yet, when the season is starting, and how the scheduling is gonna be. Giants or Jets please. This is gonna be barrels of fun.... <ZEROTL>
Old 08-27-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Count me in....

Originally posted by zerotl
Do you guys have a tentative date yet, when the season is starting, and how the scheduling is gonna be. Giants or Jets please. This is gonna be barrels of fun.... <ZEROTL>

once we have 32 people ready to play we'll either have a lottery for teams or a lottery for draft picks then draft teams. i figured we'd do a week or so of exhibition games so people can get used to their teams, then we'd start. we'd play the full NFL schedule. its either going to be 1 game or 2 games per week. we'll see how many games everyone is capable of playing per week.
Old 08-27-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Count me in if the Eagles are available.

Edit: I cant get to the site from work, for some reason our firewall is blocking it. I'll check it out when I get home. TaTTooD. IM me if your around.

Last edited by JNielsen; 08-27-02 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-27-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in!

Why do we all have to have one team? It is possible to play Rams v. Rams, or the like. Obviously, different players being assigned one team throughout the duration or the league, will give some players an advantage or disadvantage.
Old 08-27-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jw2299
I'm in!

Why do we all have to have one team? It is possible to play Rams v. Rams, or the like. Obviously, different players being assigned one team throughout the duration or the league, will give some players an advantage or disadvantage.

we're drafting teams so whatever team you get is based on chance. a good player might get a crummy team or a bad player might get a good team or it might work the other way around. its fun to play the 32 team schedule and having more than one player with the same team doesnt make for a lot of fun IMO when trying to simulate an NFL season. You could always start your own league and run it that way

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.