Reload this Page >

The Thing (PC and X-Box, merged)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Thing (PC and X-Box, merged)

Old 08-26-02, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Thing

I bought this for the PC today at Best Buy for 32 bucks using a 15% off coupon from PCGamer and because it was on sale for 39. I didn't want to pay the 50 bucks it goes for. nice bargain...

I know...

Anyway - this game kicks some ass. I'm really getting into it. Fans of the movie should really like it. The graphics are sweet on the PC. There's plenty of depth here with the character's moodswings that I could probably play this over and over with different results. Anyone else pick this one up? It's available on the PS2 right now as well - Isn't it out or coming out on Xbox as well?
Old 08-26-02, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it out or coming out on Xbox as well?
Supposed to ship on 9/3.
Old 08-26-02, 04:33 PM

Thanks for your impressions, Trigger. I'm a huge fan of the movie, but wanted to hear some feedback before I bought the game. I think I'll pick it up on Wednesday when I get Socom.
Old 08-26-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I played it at E3 on a console and then on a PC... can't remember if I played the Xbox or PS2 version, I thought it was the xbox version but wasn't sure before. I wasn't happy about the controls using a controller, but the keyboard mouse setup works out great.

I've played through a few more levels and it seems like they are getting a little less linear following the same story and more that you're just the same guy coming across different little stories - that's cool too, but it would be nice if they all connected to each other a little better. It's early yet, so we'll see.
Old 08-26-02, 05:23 PM

From what I remember hearing at E3, this game is not like the movie but more like a sequel.
Old 08-26-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - this picks up where the movie left off - you at least start off searching the wreckage of the area from the movie. From there, it's not really the same area. It's still good with some unique gameplay elements.

The PC version has some sound issues on a few computers, but they're on top of it already with a small patch that fixes them. It was just a sound issue during some cut scenes. Some people are having other issues, but I suspect it's because they don't have updated drivers for their hardware. If you need the patch, let me know and I'll post a link.

Edit: I'm discovering something annoying about this game - they give you blood test kits so you can prove you're not infected to other people, and in some cases you can even test your buddies... but checking them doesn't always help - it'll show you they aren't infected and then you take 2 steps and they turn into one of them. Some of it is scripted and that's not all that cool. This is no Half-Life, but I still think it makes for a cool game so far. Am I really the only one who's picked this up?

Last edited by Trigger; 08-26-02 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Am I really the only one who's picked this up?
I'm waiting for the XBOX version.
Old 08-26-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was amazed that my local rental place had it so I quickly snagged a copy.

I like it but there are so many buttons to push and commands to give that it can be a pain at times.
The smaller ememies also seem to take far more ammo than they should. I hope you don't have to conserver ammo just to survive.

I'm on the 4th level if I recall. I just got totally destroyed by a creature in a heartbeat so I'm taking a break. I REALLY wanted to buy this but opted for a rental. I'm thinking it was a wise choice for me. Others may disagree with that and that's fine with me.
Old 08-27-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - the console controls make this a less desireable title. PC gamers should pick it up though... it's cheaper than on console, the graphics are better and the controls are an advantage rather than a hinderance. Plus, there might be add-ons or mods eventually.
Old 08-27-02, 06:17 AM

I'm waiting for the XBOX version.
Me too! Just have to get Enclave done before I get it.
Old 08-27-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey Trigger, I was debating whether to pick this up for the PS2 or PC. Sounds like the control issues make it a stronger choice for PC. How are you playing, with keyboard/mouse or gamepad?
Old 08-27-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I've been using mouse/keyboard... it's what I'm used to. I have a few old gamepads, but neither have analog sticks. I've been thinking about picking up a few that they have at Best Buy - one of them has all the buttons that the PS2 controller has plus 2 more. I've never really used gamepads with my computer games except for virtual soccer 96. Mouse/Keyboard is much easier - I had to remap like 2 keys, but otherwise the keyboard layout should be familiar to anyone who plays FPS games.
Old 08-27-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks for the responding, sorry I should have looked at your 2nd post above more closely, you state that the keyboard/mouse thing works well.

One thing I haven't see in any reviews, how do you save, is it at anytime, end of a mission, or save points scattered out throughout the game? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-27-02, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The save feature they built in gives you a pre-defined number of slots (7 I think) and you can save when you come across a tape recorder. There's one (sometimes 2) in each level. They always give you the option of starting a level over if you die. The PC version suffers from a few of these console-itis type of things... It would've been a little better had they just made the PC version and then ported it over to consoles later. That way, the save feature would've been whenever you wanted. This way works out good enough too and it makes saving more integrated... like Resident Evil. You don't need an ink ribbon, but sometimes the power is off in the room and you need to have an engineer fix it before you can use the tape recorder.
Old 08-28-02, 09:27 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been playing it on the PC here for the past couple of days. It's an interesting game...kinda moves a little slow, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be. It is interesting with the mood swings and level of trustedness, but not sure if I'll finish it.
Old 08-28-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why wouldn't you finish it? Are you stuck? I can't imagine paying for a game and then not finishing it unless it's really bad - like Daikatana or Wheel of Time. I just got captured and I'm realizing that this game has a larger story arc and you just have to not get too attached to the people you meet along the way. I read an appropriate quote somewhere that said something to the effect of - "games based on movies have to pay license fees and that's money that could've gone to making the game fun"... I think considering this is a licensed title, the game is quite fun.
Old 08-28-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
A couple of questions for those that have already played the game. Is this Resident Evil type of control/gameplay i.e. "Walk into room look around and such, walk into next room fight something etc." or actually more of a FPS/Third Person with a fixed behind the back view?

The reason I ask is that the RE style of control drives me nuts, and is why Dino Crisis (Dreamcast)still sits unfinished!!
Old 08-28-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's third person/FPS style - you can't look up or down in third person mode, enemies are auto-targeted, and in first person view, you can't move around and nothing is auto-targeted. The controls for the PC are super-easy... I imagine the only thing that could make this game challenging is if I had bought the PS2 version and tried to use the controller.
Old 08-28-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Argh. This game is good but the flaws it does have are gonna drive me nuts. Why are the NPCs so friggim stupid? If I'm shotting at something they walk RIGHT IN FRONT ON ME. Then they turn on me because I shot at them.

I'm having fun with this game but if I had spent 50.00 on the PS2 version I would of felt really bad about now. It's fun but I could have way more fun with a ton of other games.
Old 09-03-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

:bump: Ok guys, reviews. How's the XBOX one looking ?
Old 09-27-02, 10:33 PM

The Thing

Just bougth the Thing for xbox,what a very impressive game so far,i was wondering who else picked it up and what they thought so far?
The graphics i think are very good and the game play not to challenging yet, was wondering how far everyone is. man isnt dead to rights a tough game?thats what led me to buy this,dead to rights is so good,but so hard
Old 09-28-02, 04:09 AM

my friend just bought this for xbox, and we had to restart the game 3 times before we finally got the first key. there were so many glitches and places where you'd get stuck and never be able to get out.

the controls of this game are also a bit strange. I'm a bit too used to halo and socoms controls, so it was tough for me to figure out this new control scheme.
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=232257

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=234711

Last edited by Trigger; 09-28-02 at 04:12 AM.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
:bump: Ok guys, reviews. How's the XBOX one looking ?
Originally posted by Bell65
Just bougth the Thing for xbox,what a very impressive game so far,i was wondering who else picked it up and what they thought so far?
The graphics i think are very good and the game play not to challenging yet, was wondering how far everyone is. man isnt dead to rights a tough game?thats what led me to buy this,dead to rights is so good,but so hard
Old 09-28-02, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
woah.. two threads with the same exact title.. I think we have a mystery here.. Which one is the real thread and which one is a monster?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.