Reload this Page >

Question about E-Reader from Nintendo.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-25-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got this info about the cards from the Nintendo website.

" A long bar holds 2.2 kilobytes of information and a short bar holds 1.4 kilobytes. The memory configuration in the e-Reader is 64 Mb mask ROM and 1 Mb flash memory."

2.2 kb is enough to hold an entire NES game? I'm wondering if the cards have games on them at all or do they just unlock games that are already built in to the E-Reader itself. If the E-Reader itself has all the games built in to it won't Game Shark find some way to unlock them all without needing to buy any cards?

Needless to say I'm confused over this whole E-Reader technology. I can understand how small amounts of data (like on the Pokemon Cards) can be held on a card, but I don't get how an entire NES game can fit.
Old 08-25-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supposedly an NES game will take approximately 5 cards... so you have to scan in all 5 cards before you can play the game... and with 2 strips on each card that's 9 - 10 scans for 1 game.
Old 08-25-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's still only 22 KB though. With 8 megs of onboard ROM, it definitely sounds like the games are stored on the reader.
Old 08-25-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
That's still only 22 KB though. With 8 megs of onboard ROM, it definitely sounds like the games are stored on the reader.
You would think, with 8MBs (64 Mbs) of ROM memory and 1 MB of flash memory. Everyone seems to say, though, that games can be stored until you want to play another game, in which case you must slide new cards, deleting the old game in the process.

It would have made a lot more sense to slide the games through once, then store them on the reader, with a menu option given to choose which game to play. It wouldn't be such a big deal to slide 15 cards if the game was stored permanently and you never had to do it again -- but even then that's only 33k.

So don't expect games like The Legend of Zelda, or even Kung-Fu -- we're talking games like Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Jr., Tennis, Pinball, Excitebike, Game & Watch packs, etc. Even Joust is too much.