Reload this Page >

PS2 Online vs. XBox Live: The Games of 2002

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-25-02, 12:28 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been lots of threads comparing the features of PS2 Online and XBox Live.

This thread will serve as an in depth look at the online features for the Games coming out in 2002 for PS2 Online and XBox Live plus my picks in each genre.

The Pack-In Game:

PS2: Twisted Metal Online

2 players via Modem, Up to 8 players via broadband, Uses a client based server system, Does not include single player missions, You have to send in a "rebate" card to get the game.

Xbox: Revolt (subject to change)

Up to 6 players, 1 per XBox, Voice chat, Somewhat similar to Mario Kart, Not much depth, No online rankings, It does come with the Starter Kit.

My Pick: PS2 Even though you have to wait for Twisted Metal to be mailed to you, it's definetly a better pack-in game than Revolt. This could change if Microsoft decides to change or add another game.

Shooters:

First Person:

PS2: Tribes: Aerial Assault

Up to 16 players, No restrictions on number of players according to connection, 30 maps and multiplayer bots, No online chat rooms or in-game, Over 3 56K connections will see major lag.

Xbox: Unreal Championship, Shayde: Monsters vs. Humans

UC: Up to 16 players, Over 40 maps, Voice chat, Downloadable weapons, levels, vehicles, and skins a week after launch, Halo-style controls, Custom soundtracks, Custom password servers for clans.

Shayde: Up to 16 players, 36 levels, 6 characters, Voice chat, Graphics are average, Premise is solid.

My Pick: XBox Feature for feature, Unreal Championship owns Tribes. The ability to listen to your own music while you are fragging somebody and screaming some trash talk through the voice communicator is priceless. Shayde sounds pretty good too.

3rd person:

PS2: Nothing, but it's not a huge genre.

Xbox: Mech Assault

Up to 4 players, Downloadable maps, weapons, and mechs, Voice chat, Several Gamplay modes, Destructible enviroments, Online rankings.

My Pick: XBox Even if the PS2 offered up something, it would be hard to beat Mech Assault. The downloadable feature is just awesome!

Tactical:

PS2: Socom: US Navy Seals

Up to 16 players, Broadband only, Comes with headset for voice commands and chat, In-game clan support, Quick set-up time, One shot kills, Multi-player games are 6 minutes long. More similar to Counterstrike than Tom Clancy games. Slightly more expensive due to headset.

Xbox: Ghost Recon

Up to 16 players, voice chat, New weapons, Includes Desert Siege add-on pack, Global player rankings, Improved graphics and AI, redesigned levels, 7-8 multiplayer gameplay modes.

My Pick: Tie Both games will be fantastic. Of course, you need to be a fan of the methodical style of gameplay. It's not a frag-happy FPS game. Practice hard so you won't be sitting out most of the round and work together with your team.

Sports:

Football:

PS2: Madden, NFL 2K3, Gameday

Madden: up to 2 on 2 with 1 connection, No in-game chat (only before, halftime, and after), Matching service, Download roster updates, Superb Gameplay and graphics.

NFL 2K3: up to 2 on 2 with 1 connection, Matching service, In-game chat, Rankings and Tournaments offered later for extra cost, National stat tracking, Download roster updates, Superb Gameplay and graphics.

Gameday: up to 2 on 2 with 1 connection, Built in ranking system, Stat tracking, In-game chat, Average gameplay and graphics.

Xbox: NFL 2K3, Fever

NFL 2K3: up to 4 on 4 with 1 connection, Matching service, voice chat, Ranking system, Download roster updates, National stat tracking, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

Fever: up to 4 on 4 with 1 connection, Matching service, voice chat, Ranking system, Download roster updates, National stat tracking, Weather is the same as city during your game, Superb graphics, Average gameplay.

My Pick: PS2 NFL 2K3 cancels each other out. Fever beats Gameday, but Madden kills Fever. Maybe Microsoft will get off their butt and improve Fever for next year.

Basketball:

PS2: NBA Live, NBA 2K3, NCAA College Basketball 2K3

NBA Live: 1 on 1, 1 mode of Exhibition play, Roster Updates, no in-game chat, no matching service, Average Gameplay and Graphics.

NBA 2K3: 1 on 1, Exhibition play, Roster Updates, In-game chat, Matching service, National Stat tracking, Rankings and Tournaments offered later for extra cost, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

NCAA: 1 on 1, Exhibition play, Roster Updates, In-game chat, Matching service, National Stat tracking, Rankings and Tournaments offered later for extra cost, Unknown Gameplay and Graphics.

XBox: NBA 2K3, NCAA College Basketball 2K3

NBA 2K3: 1 on 1, Exhibition play, Roster Updates, Voice chat, Matching service, National stat tracking and rankings, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

NCAA: 1 on 1, Exhibition play, Roster Updates, Voice chat, Matching service, National stat tracking and rankings, Unknown Gameplay and Graphics.

My Pick: Tie NBA Live was a turd last year so variety doesn't get the PS2 any extra points. Even if it has been improved, it will be hard to knock off the King: NBA 2K3.

Hockey:

PS2: Nothing. NHL 2003 was announced without online features and the game ships in less than a month. Sega says no online for PS2 version of NHL 2K3.

XBox: NHL 2K3

4 on 4 with one connection, Roster Updates, Voice chat, Matching service, National stat tracking and rankings, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

My Pick: XBox Obviously without any competitiors, online hockey will rule all on the Xbox. I can't wait to kick some online butt with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Skateboarding

PS2: Tony Hawk 3 and 4

Uo to 4 players, Tons of mini-games, no in-game chat, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

XBox: Tony Hawk 3 and 4

Uo to 4 players, Tons of mini-games, Voice chat, Superb Gameplay and Graphics.

My Pick: Tie Although the XBox version will have voice chat, skateboarding isn't exactly a smack talking type of game. Either version will be great.

Racing:

PS2: ATV Offroad Fury 2, Auto Modellista

ATV: up to 4 players, 40 courses, 20 ATV's, In-game chat, Single and team modes.

Auto: up to 8 players, 50 cars, Custom cars, In-game chat, Ability to observe competitions, Trade replays, First cel shaded racer.

XBox: Q: Where are the racers? A: 2003. Midtown Madness and the only online version of Pro Race Driver are coming in early 2003.

My Pick: PS2 Without any competition, the PS2 wins, but not by default. The first ATV game was awesome, so the 2nd will be just as great. Also, Auto Modellista sound like a ton of fun.

RPG:

PS2: Nothing. Everquest arrives in early 2003.

XBox: Phantasy Star Online

Straightforward port, Voice chat

My Pick: XBox by default I'm not a huge fan of PSO nor am I of Everquest. Star Wars Galaxies looks like the RPG to get in late 2003.

Other: All the rest in 2002

PS2: Catan, My Street

Catan: Up to 4 players, Popular German board game, Matching service, In-game chat.

My Street: Up to 4 players, 8 Mini-games set in a residential neighborhood, aimed at younger players, in-game chat.

XBox: Toe Jam and Earl 3, Whacked!

TJ & E: Up to 2 players, No true online multiplay, Episodic downloadable levels, Also, downloadable objects.

Whacked!: Up to 4 players, 30 levels, 8 characters, 9 mini-games, Voice chat, humor will eventually wear off.

My Pick: XBox I'm not planning on buying any of them, but If I had to choose, the XBox is my pick. The PS2 games just sound too bland.

To sum up, I'm getting both online services. I see more games that interest me on the XBox side of things, but both services will get a ton of playtime from me.

Last edited by Flay; 08-25-02 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 12:36 PM

In a perfect world, whoever had NHL 2k3 online would be enough to tip the balance.

Of course, since at last count only 28,000 copies of DC NHL 2k2 have been sold , I'd understand large amounts of skepticism.
Old 08-25-02, 12:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Flay: you didn't list Inside Drive for Xbox.
Old 08-25-02, 12:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

And oh yeah, nice work as usual!!!
Old 08-25-02, 12:51 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Flay: you didn't list Inside Drive for Xbox.
Sorry GP, but Inside Drive won't have online play this year. You will be able to download roster updates.

Last edited by Flay; 08-25-02 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 02:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Flay

Sorry GP, but Inside Drive won't have online play this year. You will be able to download roster updates.
WOW WEIRD!! That seriously makes no sense at all. Thanks for the info though.
Old 08-25-02, 02:24 PM
Banned

Looking forward to playing:

Madden 2003
Tony Hawk 3
Twisted Metal: Online
My Street
Auto Modellista
Tony Hawk 4

and will rent:

ATV Offroad Fury 2
SOCOM: US Navy Seals

I am still VERY UPSET, that NHL 2003 & Timesplitters 2 will have no online capabilities now! That sucks ass!
Old 08-25-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Lots of good information.

Sucks that the Gamecube versions don't support at least some online features like roster updates.
Old 08-25-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about voice chat: will you be able to block specific people if they're spamming the line?
Old 08-25-02, 03:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Aghama
Question about voice chat: will you be able to block specific people if they're spamming the line?
Yeah you can mute people if that's what you mean and mute specific people if you are playing in a group.
Old 08-25-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, that's what I meant. It would have been a huge oversight if they didn't include that option.
Old 08-25-02, 03:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Aghama
Yeah, that's what I meant. It would have been a huge oversight if they didn't include that option.
In the marketing video you can download they basically show someone going crazy and calling everyone A-Holes, and then the two other guys playing say to each other "let's block the A-Hole". Nice feature.

I don't know if SOCOM has this feature though.

On the topic of SOCOM... Even though SOCOM sounds great in a perfect environment, in practice I don't know if it will be due to immature morons (if you can't mute people), and cheaters.
Old 08-25-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love how Flay is so impartial to things. He always presents facts, instead of opinions and even his opinions are reasonable Good job!
Old 08-25-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im a little surprised by the weak RPG section for both.
Old 08-25-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice wrap up. Thanks.
Old 08-25-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what will be good about the xbox version is that we will not get slowdown or occasional freezing since you need either dsl or cable to play
Old 08-25-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
what will be good about the xbox version is that we will not get slowdown or occasional freezing since you need either dsl or cable to play
I had very little lag on the DC. And I played UT and NBA2K2 with it religiously. I dont think the PS2 plan is really going to pay that high a penalty for allowing narrowband.
I DO like that stats will follow you around on Live and that cheating with be pretty much a nonfactor but it all comes down to the games. And right now that looks like a dead heat.
Old 08-25-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: PS2 Online vs. XBox Live: The Games of 2002

Originally posted by Flay
The first ATV game was awesome, so the 2nd will be just as great.
I hated ATV offroad fury...

Also in the online RPG section, Isn't FFXI coming out for PS2 online soon? (I don't keep up on this since I no longer have a PS2).

Let's also not forget that for Xbox:
the games will have better graphics (talking about those that are multi-platform)
broadband ONLY
you already have the necessary hardware you need w/out spending extra cash like on PS2

Last edited by SuprVgeta; 08-25-02 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: PS2 Online vs. XBox Live: The Games of 2002

Originally posted by SuprVgeta

you already have the necessary hardware you need w/out spending extra cash like on PS2
Misleading. You have to spend $50 to use Xbox Live and you don't have everything you need since that $50 includes the headset that you need. There is no way around that. So its actually $10 more expensive to use the Xbox.

Granted some PS2 games will charge you an extra fee, but many are free to play online so you are only out $40 to play online in most cases.

Last edited by darkside; 08-25-02 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 08:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Re: Re: PS2 Online vs. XBox Live: The Games of 2002

Originally posted by SuprVgeta

Also in the online RPG section, Isn't FFXI coming out for PS2 online soon? (I don't keep up on this since I no longer have a PS2).
It's coming in 2003. I've only covered the games of 2002.

Let's also not forget that for Xbox:
the games will have better graphics (talking about those that are multi-platform)
broadband ONLY
The first is not an online issue, thus makes no bearing on an online comparison. The last 2 are issues related to a network comparison, not a GAME comparison.

We have debated the pros and cons to each network to death. This thread is about the games.
Old 08-25-02, 11:44 PM

I participated in Sony's on-line beta test earlier this year and played all Sony's games that are slated from now till year's end and Twisted Metal Black was FAR AND AWAY THE BEST thing Sony had to offer.
The hype on SOCOM is huge, but I thought the game blew. One life and then a bunch of waiting.....I was underwhelmed to say the least.
Old 08-26-02, 11:38 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Zinc
I participated in Sony's on-line beta test earlier this year and played all Sony's games that are slated from now till year's end and Twisted Metal Black was FAR AND AWAY THE BEST thing Sony had to offer.
The hype on SOCOM is huge, but I thought the game blew. One life and then a bunch of waiting.....I was underwhelmed to say the least.
I'm excited for TMO. I loved the original, but my old roomates hated playing it. Now I will be able to play multiplayer all the time.

As for Socom, the PS2 IGN editor has indicated that it has some significant flaws in the single player game. For instance:

Here's an interesting example of the AI behavior, from mission 3, where the objective is to defuse a series of bombs and rescue several hostages on an offshore oil rig. I am parked in front of a bomb, waiting out the 30 or so seconds required to defuse it. My partner is covering me when two terrorists run toward us, intent on doing me a mischief. In response, my parter switches weapons (going through a short animation in the process), runs to the terrorists, knocks the one over the head with his rifle butt, and then knocks the other over the head with his rifle butt. Now, which is the more aggravating problem with the AI: my partner's inability to understand the use of a ranged weapon, or the terrorists' inability to get a single shot off while there's a fellow trying to knock them over the head with a rifle butt?
Old 08-26-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zinc
One life and then a bunch of waiting.....I was underwhelmed to say the least.
This is one of the things that I'm looking forward to about this game. It's a lot better (for me) to play with people who have to try and use strategy to stay alive through the whole round rather than just run into a group of enemies, kill, respawn, and then repeat the whole process.
Old 08-26-02, 12:10 PM

Nice job Flay! It's good to see an impartial evaluation.

Also don't forget Project Gotham will be a racing option for XBOXERS
Old 08-26-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by finbogg
Nice job Flay! It's good to see an impartial evaluation.

Also don't forget Project Gotham will be a racing option for XBOXERS
I think it's gonna be named project gotham 2 *suprise, suprise*

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.