Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony DVP-C660 (might be DVD)?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-25-02, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about the thoughts of others on this model. It has DTS capability and a 5 disc changer. Sorry for the confusing title, I forget whether it is DVP-C660 or DVD-C660.
Old 08-26-02, 12:39 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

its the DVP-C660, which I believe is now replaced with the 600. I know that the 600 plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs....you may want to check to see if the 660 does as well or not if you're planning on using it to play CDs and have CD-RS.

I have a version of this player (it may be the 660) and I know that it doesn't play CD-Rs. Outside of that, I've been very happy with the performance and quality of the player.

One thing that I like about the SONY's is that they have two sets of all the outputs which for me was handy because I use a direct connection to my distribution panel as well as connecting it through my reciever and the TV directly.

One more note: this unit does not have a Dolby Digital decoder built in therefore I assume that it doesn't have DTS decoder either. It does have Dobly Digital outs and probably DTS outs....you'll need your receiver to be able to decode these.

Last edited by ngp; 08-26-02 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 09:21 PM
Banned

Just checked the DTS, you are right it is not onboard, nor is the DD, can anyone recommend a good receiver to do both?
Old 08-27-02, 09:38 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending upon your budget, check out the Denon 3802....great sound quality (http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr38023.pdf).

The 3802 you can get on-line for about $700ish the last I looked. Try Etronics, LetsGoDigital, and some others. The question on rather you should buy on-line or at a local retailer for more money is up to you.

In terms of the SONY DVD player, I think that the similar product to the 660 is now the 615 and 650 ($160 and $250 respectively at Best Buy). I don't believe that either have decoders on it but your new receiver will take care of that!