Reload this Page >

Super Monkey Ball 2???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Super Monkey Ball 2???

Old 08-24-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Monkey Ball 2???

in the best buy ad for this week (starting tomorrow) it has super monkey ball 2 advertised for 49.99 AND that its available on wednesday
i thought smb2 wasnt coming out till sept 10
misprint? or did it ship early?
Old 08-24-02, 09:53 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Re: Super Monkey Ball 2???

Originally posted by squidget

i thought smb2 wasnt coming out till sept 10
misprint? or did it ship early?
Start using my thread. It was changed to the 26th 3 weeks ago.

IGN posted their review of SMB2:

Presentation

Monkeys, balls, colorful menus, lots of options and a new story mode which is cheesy, but cute. 8.0

Graphics

Prettier than the first. Colorful, varied themes for locales, with more geometry and animation in the background at 60 frames. Still low polygon. 7.0

Sound

Gets the job done, but not very well. Uninspired music proves more annoying than catchy. Decent selection of cute sound effects. 6.0

Gameplay

Amazingly intuitive. Challenging. Fun. Addictive. Sometimes too frustrating and cheesy, but the draw to keep playing is always there. 9.0

Lasting Appeal

In a league of its own. 150 levels, 12 mini-games, and so many multiplayer possibilities that replay value is incalculable. 10.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.0

Last edited by Flay; 08-24-02 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-24-02, 10:03 PM

sweet!
thanks Flay!
Old 08-24-02, 11:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It'll be tough deciding which game to play first next week, this or Mario Sunshine.
Old 08-24-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
It'll be tough deciding which game to play first next week, this or Mario Sunshine.
I"m going ape.. just thinking about the choice

Gotta go monkey, my friends are all getting mario. Plus I got beach spikers keeping me busy as well at the moment.
Old 08-25-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Re: Super Monkey Ball 2???

Originally posted by Flay

Start using my thread. It was changed to the 26th 3 weeks ago.
So if Mario and MonkeyBall are getting released on the 26th (monday) why isn't Best Buy getting them until Wednesday? Aren't they usually more on the ball than that (especially for such a big game like Mario?)
Old 08-25-02, 01:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Ship dates for Video Games aren't as reliable as release dates for DVDs. Basically, you need to add 1 to find out when EB and Gamestop will have it, and add 2 to find out when most other retailers (Best Buy, Target, etc) will have it.
Old 08-25-02, 03:03 PM
zig

I think I'll hold off on SMB2 until they lower the price. I love the first, but paying full price for a sequel to SMB isn't something I'm willing to do with all these other great games coming out.
Old 08-25-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Easy decision for me. I've got both on pre-oder, but I'm playing with the monkeys first.

Monkeys in balls = wacky fun

Mario should be fun, but I just love those SMB mini-games.
Old 08-26-02, 10:32 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dates you see for Video games are ship dates, not release dates. Most times the publishers don't ship the games out until that date, so stores won't have them to sell until a day or two later. With movies and cds, we see release dates, not ship dates, so stores usually have the movies and cds in the back for a few days and just don't put them out until the release date. Of course their are exceptions both ways.

As for SMB2, I'm in the same boat a Zig. It'll have to drop in price before I buy it. It's a great multiplayer game, but the single player mode gets old fast IMO.
Old 08-26-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

As for SMB2, I'm in the same boat a Zig. It'll have to drop in price before I buy it. It's a great multiplayer game, but the single player mode gets old fast IMO.
Ya, if you suck at it.
Old 08-26-02, 11:01 AM
Retired

True, when you suck at it, anything above advanced is just too frustrating to be fun. But the whole concept of tilting a board to roll a ball around obstacles just didn't do it for me. The mini games are the selling point, and they're just not worth $50 to me.
Old 08-26-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I got the first Mnokey Ball, I played single player all the time...up until I couldn't get past Expert Stage 9.

Then I gave up and moved onto the mini-games.

I'll probably do the same thing with 2...once I just can't beat any more SP levels, I'll move onto MP.
Old 08-26-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by zig
I think I'll hold off on SMB2 until they lower the price. I love the first, but paying full price for a sequel to SMB isn't something I'm willing to do with all these other great games coming out.
This might be smart, I remember picking up the first one for only 29.99. I"m sure the price on this shoudl follow suit, esp. with Mario coming out at the same time.

As far as multi-player sucking, I still play this game more than any other one I got, and to be honest I find the single player almost better than the multi because it's so challenging, and I always have people over playing games. I'm thinking the 2nd maybe will have more mini(s) but the single play looks even better.
Old 08-26-02, 04:28 PM

no contest. monkies all the way.
peeps are always comin over to play this title, will definitely have to play first.
then maybe when they all go home i can get some mario action going