Article on video game violence on the front page of the Washington Post today

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-24-02, 04:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to the online version.

Nothing new, and it's a fairly balanced article for once. It's just curious that it was on the front page as I haven't heard much out of congress or anywhere else lately on video game violence.
Old 08-24-02, 05:42 PM
zig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good article.. not judgemental at all. Personally I hope this trend of violent/nudey games ends just because it's boring to me. There's no shock value, it's just unnecesarry in a game that might be fun if it wasn't full of immature crap.
Old 08-24-02, 07:44 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts
In today's virtual mean streets, Pac-Man wouldn't last a day. The yellow sphere with the slanted pie-hole that gobbled up pellets back in the '80s probably would get carjacked and beaten to a yellow wad of pulp.
[] He said "pie-hole" [/]
Old 08-24-02, 08:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I only play games with lots of gory violence. That way I can anonymously brag on Internet message boards to random strangers about how "mature" I am.
Old 08-24-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"It's awesome," said James Parker, 27, a Washington computer network administrator. "You can carjack any car, go to the seedy part of town, beep the horn and pick up a prostitute. Then you take her to a dark street and the car starts shaking. When the prostitute jumps out, your money is down but your energy is full."

How sad is it that a 27 year old man said that?
[Grampa Simpson]
HELL INA HANDBASKET!
[/grampa Simpson]
Old 08-24-02, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Article on video game violence on the front page of the Washington Post today

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Here's a link to the online version.

Nothing new, and it's a fairly balanced article for once. It's just curious that it was on the front page as I haven't heard much out of congress or anywhere else lately on video game violence.
Well, one reason is senator liberman has been pretty happy with the ratings system for home video games some far. He released a "report card" on the industry a couple of months ago. The only problems he had were some stores still selling some mature games to minors and the arcade industry not putting ratings more prominetly on it's games.

I bet we will see more senators get upset about sex and violence during the presidental election....