Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Little help with Panny PT-47WX49

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

On doing the 1st convergence(green vertical and horizontal lines)I have set it to the marking points that are placed on the TV.
I have noticed that while watching a DVD that is THX enhanced,the THX intro logo is off to the right about 3 or 4 inches.
When in 4x3 mode,the bars are as follows:
Right side is 3"
Left side is 4-1/4"

Should I leave it as is as this really isn't that much and don't use 4x3 anyway.Or should I use 4x3 mode and get both sides the same measurement?

I also notice it while watching regular TV(image seems to be more to the right) while in just mode(my normal viewing mode)
Old 08-23-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long have you had the set? If it's new, leave it as is for a week or two... If it's not new, have you done all of the tweaks on the set?

At any rate, all of the geometry issues on this set can be addressed and corrected under the 64 point convergence in the service menu... > http://www.panny.tv/ < Bookmark this site if you haven't already and read up on the tweaks. This question would be better asked on the forums over there (or the Panny forum over at hometheaterspot) since it deals strictly with the 16X9 Panasonic sets.

BTW, I have one of these and they are GREAT for anamorphic DVDs via progressive scan. I love mine, but, I've never watched a thing on it other than DVD... So, I'm not the best qualified to help you on your 4X3 questions... I have however done most of the tweaks on my set, including the 64 point convergence, if you have any questions... Just BE CAREFUL and read up on it should you want to do the tweaks...

Long story short, just a guess, but I think you probably need to do the full 64 point convergence on your set... This sounds like a horizontal centering issue. Or, if it's under warranty or you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, have a service dude come out and fix it...

Oh, and get a copy of AVIA if you don't have one yet...

Also, what kind of player are you using and how is it hooked up?

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 08-23-02 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-23-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have been to panny.tv infact go there alot.I just thought Id ask here as well.
As for the 64 point convergence,a little uncomfortable doing that really,kids always buggin me and really don't want to mess anything up.
The set it about 6months old.
As for the AVIA disk,kinda pricey and haven't seen any at the stores either.I may just get one if I can find a good deal,gotta hide the cost somehow from the wife

If I were to get someone to come out and service it,what should I expect?
Just an average set up or would they do calibrating?ie; 64 point and others.

Thanks for your reply too
Old 08-23-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah... Okey dokey...

For the 64 point convergence, yes, you need several hours by yourself and a lot of patience... It's not that difficult, just time consuming and you need full attention and a clear mind. Makes a world of difference though...

Avia is pricey, I just added it to the cost of my set when I bought it... You'll need this however before you start the 64 point convergence, you can't adjust overscan and run the test patterns required without it. Any owner of a HDTV should buy Avia, in the long run it's MORE than worth the initial cost and is pretty essential to keeping a display properly calibrated.

As for the tech, who knows, depends on your area and how much experience they have... Some (most?) will only do the basics, some may do more... I've opted to learn all I can about the set and do it myself. Last thing I want is some monkey in my service menu...

YMMV...
Old 08-23-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah I hear ya.
I will get the disk if i feel I can do the tweakin'

As for the service,I am also weary about people touching my TV if they are just service guys that don't learn more to do thing proper and such.
I like to learn as well.I always get to know things and just haven't got around to knowing the TV all that well yet.
I suppose I would need the AVIA disk first anyway.

Thanks for your help and hopefully I will get the most out of this TV as this thing is my baby now

Maybe I can call service and see what my options are as well.
Old 08-26-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Groovy. Well, if you ever get around to the tweaks and have any questions, post back in this thread and I'll see if I can help...
Old 08-28-02, 12:20 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Can either of you guys tell me the difference between the PT-47wx49 and the PT-47wx42, right now CC has the pt-47wx42 for $1599.99 with a $100 gift card, so I was wondering what the difference is.
Old 08-28-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

42 is this year's model and has a few small differences in the convergence menus, the screen, the D/A converter... SVM can be turned off (this is a fairly simple, but nerve testing, tweak on the 49 - you have to get into the "guts" of the set) and the biggest difference is that the 42 does not lock into full mode when fed a progressive source, you can scale the set for non-anamorphic DVDs (you can do this with the 49 using an interlaced source, but it pales in comparison to a progressive signal).
Old 08-29-02, 11:32 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

to Johnny Zhivago:
As you have read in the other post I am a newbie to RPTV's, and I greatly appriceate (sp?) your help, stores could use people with your knowledge to sell their products. I see you say it doesn't lock into to full mode and you can scale non anamoprhic dvds, what do you mean by this?
Old 08-30-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
I see you say it doesn't lock into to full mode and you can scale non anamoprhic dvds, what do you mean by this?
When you feed the Panny a Progressive (480p) Signal via a Progressive Scan DVD player and component cables, a 4:3 DVD "locks" into full screen mode and stretches the image to fill the 16:9 screen. I may be in the minority but I like this. Really, the only 4:3 DVDs I have are kids stuff and some old Criterions.