DVD Talk
WWE SUMMERSLAM Official Thread - Predictions, Commentary and Reviews [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : WWE SUMMERSLAM Official Thread - Predictions, Commentary and Reviews

Original Desmond
08-22-02, 07:34 PM
Thought i'd start if off, let's see we have

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero

Undertaker vs. Test

Ric Flair vs. Chris Jericho

Rey Mysterio, Jr. vs. Kurt Angle

Christian & Lance Storm vs. Booker T & Goldust (WWE Tag Titles

Chris Benoit vs. Rob Van Dam (I/C Title)

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H (Non-Sanctioned)

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar (WWE Title)

Jackskeleton
08-22-02, 07:44 PM
hmmm, I wonder if Brock will get the belt....

devilshalo
08-22-02, 08:11 PM
only the last 3 matches seem interesting...

other than the rey rey vs angle match, the others smell of run ins..

cartman
08-22-02, 08:41 PM
It's days like Sunday that I wish I lived in Australia (they get PPV's for like $12, yes?).

El - Greazzo
08-22-02, 08:48 PM
I'm actually going to watch this PPV. This is the first one I'm watching since Wrestlemania because they've all sucked. It seems like it will be a good show. HBK is not the wrestler he used to be. He's much smaller and not as agile to me. Hopefully HHH beats his a$$. Taker vs. Test should be good too. I expect The Rock to drop the belt to Brock so he can go make another movie. Whether or not it will be a clean pin I have no idea.

Soup Nazi
08-22-02, 08:49 PM
Jackskeleton, isn't paying for PPV's so 1980's?

;)

Original Desmond
Original Desmond's Predictions

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero - I like Eddie a lot, i think he is the most versatile in ring performer the WWE has had since HBK. Sadly i think Edge will win this one. I don't see the appeal of Edge, i find him very boring

Undertaker vs. Test - Hopefully this match will only last 5 mins ! I doubt Taker will do the right thing and job clean to Test, Taker will get the win, i'll be doing something else during this match

Ric Flair vs. Chris Jericho - In just about every match Flair has had since his return to the WWE, he has had to carry someone. Jericho will do more than his fair share on in ring work. I actually think this will be a decent match, Jericho will most likely get the win

Rey Mysterio, Jr. vs. Kurt Angle - An interesting mix of styles. Should be an entertaining match, both can perform in the ring. I expect Angle to get the win

Christian & Lance Storm vs. Booker T & Goldust - Not a match i'm particular enthused about. 4 decent in ring performers but i just hate the gimmick and the angle. I guess Booker and Goldust will get the win

Chris Benoit vs. Rob Van Dam (I/C Title) - Definite best match prospect, should contain some excellent ringwork and be very entertaining. I think Benoit will retain

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H - THE match as far as i'm concerned :) Could be anywhere from average to mindblowing. I can't see HBK putting in any less than a huge effort, should be a good one. HBk to get the win

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar - I've actually enjoyed the buildup to this one. Everyone will be surprised if Brock doesn't get the win, with ROck off to make more movies. Inring should be interesting

I hope there isn't a temptation to add any 'filler' matches. The only one i could handle is a 3 minute Torri Wilson V Dawn Marie V Stacey Kiebler triple thread Bra and Panties match ;)

Soup Nazi
Originally posted by El - Greazzo
The last three matches are the ones that actuakky interest me.

Is that the new version of kekekekekekekekekekeke?

Original Desmond
08-22-02, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cartman
It's days like Sunday that I wish I lived in Australia (they get PPV's for like $12, yes?).

$24 Aust which year is about $12 US :)

Jackskeleton
08-22-02, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Soup Nazi
Jackskeleton, isn't paying for PPV's so 1980's?

;)

yup. and damn you, I clicked on that smile a few times thinking there was a secret to the smile. damns you! ;)

The Cow
08-22-02, 10:20 PM
Only match that doesn't have a clear should be winner (i.e. lop-sided, but doesn't mean they will win) is "Chris Benoit vs. Rob Van Dam"

On napkin that looks to be the best wrestling match...

cartman
08-23-02, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Original Desmond

$24 Aust which year is about $12 US :)

<.cartman tries microwaving his DishNetwork S card again for "test" channels> Goldernitalltoheck! Still doesn't work! <.cartman goes to price tickets to Australia>

dancinns
08-23-02, 12:34 PM
I've actually got pretty high expectations for SummerSlam or maybe it's just their promos for the event that have me jacked. :)

btw, what the hell does "6 1 9" mean when they're talking about Rey Rey? I don't get to watch Smackdown so I have no clue.

Meatpants
08-23-02, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by dancinns
I've actually got pretty high expectations for SummerSlam or maybe it's just their promos for the event that have me jacked. :)

btw, what the hell does "6 1 9" mean when they're talking about Rey Rey? I don't get to watch Smackdown so I have no clue.

619 has something to do with his hometown area code IIRC

My predictions:

Edge
UT
Jericho
Angle
Book/Dust
Benoit
HBK
Brock

WhattheFFF
08-23-02, 04:34 PM
it's his hometown aread code, so it symbolize him going home or the end of the match

Y2K Falcon
08-23-02, 05:13 PM
My prediction for Summer Slam:

A lot of folks hacking the DirecTV H stream will be mad.

Oh, and Rock loses the belt. -rolleyes-

I'm surprised they haven't made this a 'no disqualification' match, to leave the possibility of a run-in to not end the match and have Rock retain...

dancinns
08-23-02, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
My prediction for Summer Slam:

A lot of folks hacking the DirecTV H stream will be mad.

Oh, and Rock loses the belt. -rolleyes-

I'm surprised they haven't made this a 'no disqualification' match, to leave the possibility of a run-in to not end the match and have Rock retain...
Wow and I thought the -rolleyes- was a SmallBall exclusive. :)

I really don't see Brock winning the title. Sure they've hyped him to the main event but he's only been in the WWE for less than a year so I really see no way to justify him getting the title. He didn't pay his dues in other words. I predict the Rock winning on DQ and then losing the title the next night on Raw.

Original Desmond
08-23-02, 08:35 PM
cmon guys let's get this thread back on track :)

no more illegal PPV talk ok

Goat3001
08-23-02, 09:06 PM
Shawn Micheals vs. Triple H -eek-

Thats news to me. I have to see that match, its the only wrestling related thing I've been interested for about a year and a half :up:

Original Desmond
08-24-02, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Goat3001
Shawn Micheals vs. Triple H -eek-

Thats news to me. I have to see that match, its the only wrestling related thing I've been interested for about a year and a half :up:

you got good taste Goat :)

POWERBOMB
08-24-02, 05:52 AM
I think the HBK v HHH match will be slow with too much "time killers" -(I.E., a lot of someone outside the ring, looking to fans, etc) just to make the match longer than 5 minutes. Nothing hard here - remember the sorry pedegree on Raw? However, I think Shawn gets the win (Maybe HHH will slip and knock himself silly with his own sledgehammer or maybe he will Pedegree himself?) and afterwards Shawn will get the beating of his life therefore ending his WWE career {storyline}.

Thunderball
08-24-02, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I think the HBK v HHH match will be slow with too much "time killers" -(I.E., a lot of someone outside the ring, looking to fans, etc) just to make the match longer than 5 minutes. Nothing hard here - remember the sorry pedegree on Raw? However, I think Shawn gets the win (Maybe HHH will slip and knock himself silly with his own sledgehammer or maybe he will Pedegree himself?) and afterwards Shawn will get the beating of his life therefore ending his WWE career {storyline}.

That's exactly what I see happening as well. I see Shawn and HHH putting a 2 star match on. Lots of HBK playing to the fans, while HHH looks angry.
The problem with this match is, that despite all their efforts, HHH isn't over as a heel. Watch RAW when he comes out. When his music hits, the crowd goes nuts. It's only when they realize he's going to start talking and not wrestling that they boo.
HBK isn't ready to have a wrestling match of this calibre.

I foresee Shawn winning(maybe using the Sledge against HHH), but then as he's celebrating, HHH gives him the beatdown of his life.

IdgIe49
08-24-02, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by cartman

PPV's are FREE in South Korea. :) Of course, it's 3 weeks delayed, but still, it's free!!

no female matches???

cartman
08-24-02, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by IdgIe49

PPV's are FREE in South Korea. :) Of course, it's 3 weeks delayed, but still, it's free!!

no female matches???

Did you not watch RAW on Monday? No one cares about women's wrestling! :lol:

Sessa17
08-24-02, 04:06 PM
Aside from hogan in Wreslemania, this is the most I've been looking forward to a PPC in a really long time(which probably mean it will suck).

RVD vs Benoit should be a great match (I garaunty RVD will win)

Angle vs Mysterio I predict will be the greatest WWE match of the year. Angle will probably step in up a notch since he is never outdone by his opponents & he has never wrestled anybody like this. - Angle to win.

HHH vs HBK this match I'm looking forward to b/c there is a real good chance of HBK crippling him self or at least messing up really bad which I can almost garaunty he will do so that is enough to get me psyched for the match. Seems kind of a pointless match fro HBK to return to if he doesn't win so I give HBK the win.

And Brock vs Rock - This match I don't care about as I loathe the rock but at least he is wrestling somebody other then the same3 people he has wrestled for the last 3 years. Again I think it's a no brainer that the Rock will win. I'd be shocked otherwise.

The rest of the PPV I could care less about. I'm a little disspointed that there is no Hogan & no female match.

GuessWho
08-25-02, 07:57 PM
bump

mljones99
08-25-02, 10:14 PM
man, what a match the HHH/HBK was!

Obey The D
08-25-02, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by POWERBOMB

Good call regarding the finish. Match of the night IMO.

The Cow
08-25-02, 10:50 PM
No surprises in this PPV... HBK off the ladder and the table was cool, but winning??? Pulleeezeee....

GuessWho
08-25-02, 11:04 PM
Brock... face champ?!?

Rock, leaves to make movies with his last big PPV a boo-fest? :lol:

ChefWinduAZ
08-25-02, 11:24 PM
I could not believe all of those fans were booing The Rock and cheering for Lesner. It was funny when Rock kept yelling for them to shut up.

Rogue588
08-25-02, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by WWE Jedi I could not believe all of those fans were booing The Rock and cheering for Lesner. It was funny when Rock kept yelling for them to shut up. Huh? How did all this come about? I was just over at WWE.com and they must've missed all of this...

Original Desmond
08-25-02, 11:45 PM
Holy fkkin sh*t

HBK steals the show again !

He and HHH put on a bloody amazing match!

was perfectly planned ! HBK took many bumps early, bumps which he could handle then HHH took some more hardcore bumps. The end spots by HBK were amazing!

Match had great psychology, by the end of it, the crowd were going nutso!

and HHH has once again become the No 1 Heel in the business

Powerbomb and Thunderball , mate i luv you guys but i'm just laughting my ar*se off at you ! 2 star match my ar*se ! Doubt the Showtoppa, get Burnt !

Original Desmond
08-25-02, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Rogue588
Huh? How did all this come about? I was just over at WWE.com and they must've missed all of this...

If you watch it, you couldn't have missed it ! heaps of 'Rocky sucks' chants and 'lets go Lesnar'

WWE.com just chose to ignore them, the commentators did as well ! Still at least the crowd was still into the main event, especially after the mindblowing HBK/HHH match

Rogue588
08-26-02, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Original Desmond If you watch it, you couldn't have missed it ! heaps of 'Rocky sucks' chants and 'lets go Lesnar'

WWE.com just chose to ignore them, the commentators did as well ! Still at least the crowd was still into the main event, especially after the mindblowing HBK/HHH match Thanks OD. Since I figured they'll talk about/show it ad nauseum on Raw tomorrow nite, I decided to save my $$$.

Hell, it only took 15 minutes for WWE.com to post the results. [Though, like you said, they ignored the crowd.]

Manco
08-26-02, 12:17 AM
I ddn't see the PPV but people shouldn't be too suprised the crowd booing the Rock. New Yorkers have rep for booing babyfaces.

Original Desmond
08-26-02, 03:40 AM
What had me worried was we were at 1 hour 40 minutes just before the HBK/HH match. i figured that match would go at most 15 mins, and the main event no longer than 25 minutes, that meant it would be over in 2 hours 20 ! Summerslam ! who knew that HBK and HHH would deliver an almost 30 minute match !

vaporware
08-26-02, 09:26 AM
It should have been a $12 PPV. The only good match was HBK/HHH. The rest were huge disappointments. Could the crowd have been any more dead?

The RVD/Benoit match was a real letdown. Neither wrestler did much and the crowd didn't make a sound.

kneijst1
08-26-02, 12:11 PM
I thought the Rey Mysterio match rocked!! that guy is freakin talented. I wish I had Smackdown so I could see the cruiser weights, but I don't.

The HBK/HHH match was the best, IMO.

I could have cared less and barely watched most of the other matched, esp. Edge match + Ric Flair match. The Un-Americans matchs were just annoying too.

Sessa17
08-26-02, 12:20 PM
A decent PPV but nothing more. However there were a few very interesting things about it. . .

- Didn't anyone else notice how lame the crowd was. They were sitting througout almost the entire show. And I don't care how great people here seem to thing the HBK match was the crowd gave bigger pops to the Goldust/ Book match then the HBK match.

- The crowd absolutely was booing the hell out of the Rock. And the Rock either was not playing up to it as he was suppose to or he will turn bad this week on Smackdown. My friends & I taped it & afterward we replayed the match & early on when rock has Lenar in a submition & boos were really bad & we all swear the Rock yells out "SHut the F UP" twice. We think he was totally caught by surprise by the chants & he was actually pissed.

- I atcually wish that the HBK match was a total flop, b/c now we are going to have to see him wrestler again, uggghh.

Thunderball
08-26-02, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Original Desmond

Powerbomb and Thunderball , mate i luv you guys but i'm just laughting my ar*se off at you ! 2 star match my ar*se ! Doubt the Showtoppa, get Burnt !

Hey, I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. :) Glad he pulled it off.

Rypro 525
08-26-02, 01:13 PM
they were all probably pissed since they all knew he was gonna loose since he has the movie to make and they just gave it to him.

Dr. DVD
08-26-02, 02:12 PM
HBK vs. HHH really surpassed my expecatations. However, the ending really disappointed me as I wanted HHH to do a clean job to HBK without obliterating him afterwards. Guess this feud is far from over. Doubt we'll see more matches like that one though, definitely a match of the year contender.

The rest of the PPV was solid but not spectacular. Since Brock is the champ now as we all knew he would be, I hope they give him a darn good run with the gold and not have him drop it to HHH. I think that if they truly want to make him a bad a$$, he should hold it all the way to WM 19.

Rogue588
08-26-02, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Sessa17
A decent PPV but nothing more. However there were a few very interesting things about it. . .

- Didn't anyone else notice how lame the crowd was. They were sitting througout almost the entire show. And I don't care how great people here seem to thing the HBK match was the crowd gave bigger pops to the Goldust/ Book match then the HBK match. Ya know, I finally got around to watching Confidential from Saturday. They showed a classic Summer Slam match between the Hardy Boyz/the Dudleys/Edge & Christian -- TLC. From what I saw, this match f'n rocked!

I only brought this up cuz the crowd was definitely into that match.

...and it looked like a really good match.