Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone recommend a 27 inch flat screen?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-22-02, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My TV just broke, so I'm currently on the market for a 27 inch flatscreen TV. I want to stay between $400 and $700.

Based on what I've researched, I THINK I have it narrowed down to the following:

Sony KV-27FS100/KV-27FS13
JVC AV-27F802
Panasonic CT-27SX12

Anyone own any of these? Pros and cons? Is there another brand/model I should consider?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-02, 01:58 PM

This topic (a similar one at least) came up not too long ago and the bargain TV of choice at 27" was an Akai. It got a lot of good things said about it and it had a great feature set, especially at it's price. It is basically a rebadged Samsung available from Sams Club and sells for ~$350. I know you said you were willing to spend between $500 and $700 and this is way lower then even the bottom of your scale so you might want to go more upscale / name brand. For more information, check out this thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=228904

Other (name brand alternatives) you could try are the Samsung DynaFlat which the Akai is based off of (which would probably afford you a better warranty package out of the box), or the Toshiba 27AF42 PureFlat. The cheapest I have seen the Toshiba go for was around $350 + $100 shipping.

Not to move too far off of davejt1's initial topic, but I am looking into buying a 27" TV soon too and any further help you kind people could offer would be really appreciated. I am wondering if anything new has come out which changes people's opinions about the Akai or what the current best 27" TV is. I am especially interested in hearing from people who have any one of these TV's (Toshiba, Akai, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, JVC, other...) and any first hand information you have about the ease of calibration and overall set up, picture quality, and speaker quality. I am thinking of matching whatever TV I get with a Panasonic RP62 or RP82 DVD player (currently I have no HT setup at all) and I want a good match and the total to be ~$700 or less...
Old 08-22-02, 02:48 PM

You might want to consider two new JVC 27" models: AV-27F713 and the AV-27F803. Both are flat screen with the anamorphic squeeze. They are available at goodguys.com for $499 and $599 respectively with free shipping. Use the code "GG10VISA " for an additional 10% off. The only difference between the models is that the 803 has pnp. I'm considering this myself and I highly recommend JVC. I currently own a 27" JVC which is 12 years old and have had no problems with it.
Old 08-22-02, 02:59 PM

Sony if you can afford it, otherwise the Akai is almost as good.
Old 08-22-02, 05:48 PM

The Akai is an excellent value for $379. The picture is pretty crappy out of the box ( the factory levels are set way to high on brightness), but with a little minor adjusting it has a great picture. When in the anamorphic squeeze mode, the picture is incredible with an enchanced dvd. The sound quality is also really good, it may be the best sounding 27" I've heard, which may be a cosideration if your not going to hook it up to a receiver.
Old 08-22-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Do all the 27" models of that Akai have the squeeze mode? Or is it extra like PIP?

tks
Old 08-23-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Panasonic, they make pretty much the best TV's Our TV repair guy with over 35 years experience cant be wrong
On the other hand, I own a SONY Trinitron...
Old 08-24-02, 07:19 AM

Milo. all the 27" Akai flat screens I have seen have the squeeze function but there is a Samsung model( I believe it is 2710) that does not, and it is also sold at Kmart rebadged as a Curtis Mathis, so avoid that model and make sure you get one that does the squeeze.