Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with theater setup using xbox dvd player?Help!!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-21-02, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi im very new to his home theater setup as i have been using 6 year old pro logic surround aiwa system and im planning to get the kenwood KEN HTB205 from circuit city

I will be using my xbox as my main dvd player (yes yes I know its not the best DVD player in the universe but it works very well and the picture is running thru svideo so it very good). And i have also a digital cable tv box that has optical audio out. so there are 2 things i need to hook up to the receiver once i get it. I have a 20 inch wega just so you know.

Ive gone thru the FAQS but nothing really steps me thru like how do i set up the sound to get dts,5.1 etc.etc especially with an xbox. Ive been reading about everyone talkin about dts and 5.1 and since now im getting it decent system how do i start it off. This is for my room by the way =). Like what wires i need to buy when i buy the system etc.

I appreciate any help thanks alot!
Old 08-21-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=176562
Old 08-21-02, 01:45 PM

Thanks saw that before forgot about it is there any info on hooking it up with cable tv box that is does has optical audio out
Old 08-21-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe the Kenwood 205 has 3 digital inputs so you can plug the Xbox into one and the cable box into another. Or am I misunderstanding your question?
Old 08-21-02, 04:33 PM

might be a dumb question ?

so The only thing im using the tv for is the picture ?
For the cable box the only thing from the cable box connected to the tv is the s video and the optical audio wire is connected to the reciever right? so 2 wires total? ami right sorry im kinda new
Old 08-21-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only video cables should be going to the TV, since the TV will not be producing any sound.

You have to do video switching somehow. 4 options:

1. Use the receiver
2. Use the TV
3. Buy a seperate switcher
4. Switch the cables manually

I believe the Kenwood 205 only does composite switching so you may want to consider other options.
Does your TV have 2 S-Video inputs?
Old 08-21-02, 07:41 PM

i have a s video switch box so i have 4 s video inputs connected and audios. Thats why in confused as to how this is going to work i have 4 different things but 2 i want to use the reciever with which are the xbox and direct tv dish. So the 2 s videos from the xbox and cable go into the switch box and the 2 OPTICAL AUDIO WIRES go into the reciever meaning cause the kenwood has 3 i believe? Sorry all these terms and wires and switches have me confused someone shed some light! thanks!
Old 08-21-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually you always want to use the receiver for audio.

So you have 4 S-Video devices, but only two of them have optical audio output.

Ok, use the switch box for only S-Video switching (leave the audio part of the switch box empty).

Then plug the audio cords from all 4 devices into the receiver (use the receiver for audio switching).
Old 08-21-02, 07:55 PM

Ah i see very diff as I see that audio and video are seperated now. I cant wait to get the reciever and speakers wonder how DTS AND 5.1 sound like with dvd movies! The reciever does have multiple inputs right for optical audio wires?