Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So how IS Mario Sunshine? Anyone played it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-20-02, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it comes out next week and while part of me is excited (thinking back to the amazing times with MArio 64) part of me is "ehhh". I mean, from the videos and screens I've seen I'm very unimpressed. Just seems like a lot of messin' around with a stupid water pack.

But then again, I haven't touched the game and have a ton of faith in these flagship Mario titles for each system. Has anyone played the Japanese version? Or does anyone know if this one truly is up there with Mario 64?

Any impressions or anything would help me decide if I'm picking it up next Tuesday.
Old 08-20-02, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know someone from this board imported the game. He posted his impressions a while ago. Lots of websites have impressions up too. IGNcube put up a lengthy piece with impressions from 2 of their guys last month.

If the idea of running, jumping, and doing all sorts of other fun things doesn't excite you than I suggest you skip this game. I personally can't wait for this game. It's gonna be the most fun I've had since Mario 64.
Old 08-20-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

FYI, Mario Sunshine (along with Starfox Adventures) was playable on the demo machines at Target. I would have given it more playtime but the controller was busted. It looked pretty though.
Old 08-20-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah everywhere i got the damn controllers are busted

but i played both as well as i could
star fox looked amazing and mario looked great as well, its like a enhanced mario 64 , which aint a bad thing at all

star fox looked like a badass zelda 64 to me
Old 08-20-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
It worked at Best Buy and it's Mario. If you like it, you will like this. Personally I love Mario, so I put it down after 5 minutes because I couldn't stand not being able to take it home, so I didn't want to torture myself.
Old 08-20-02, 10:41 PM
Banned

IGN just posted some new movies....also I checked out a lot of others that I missed. Looks like the same ol' Mario fun. But, like spainlinx mentioned, I don't want to torture myself with them as well as ruin the experience.

I did see the demo at some store the other day and spent about 2 mins. with it...pretty much getting no feel for the game or anything. For once I'd like to not ruin a game and experience it fresh, knowing little to nothing about it going in.

Maybe I can pull it off this time...
Old 08-20-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For once I'd like to not ruin a game and experience it fresh, knowing little to nothing about it going in.
That's the only way to go IMO. If you don't know much about a game before you play it you're always better off. If the game is great it will knock you off your feet. If the game is just OK it won't disappoint you as much. One of my friends always reads all the hype and he's almost always disappointed and he's rarely impressed.
Old 08-21-02, 12:36 AM
Banned

Yeah...I could list many big name games that I ruined because of the 'net.

Perfect Dark
1080 Snowboarding
Zelda: TooT
Banjo Kazooie
DK64

...are just several of the big name ones. Back in the 64 days, I'd read/see everything, get the game and be over it in a week or two.
Old 08-21-02, 01:17 AM
zig

Yeah, I think I'm going to stop doing that as well. It's too late for me with SMS, but from now on, I think I'll limit my exposure to games before they're out as much as possible. Now let's see the next time they put out a zelda clip, I crack down and download it It was so much more fun when I knew very little about the games before I played them.
Old 08-21-02, 02:44 AM
Banned

Yeah, I refused to do that with Tony Hawk 3, for instance. It soon became one of my favorite games ever.
Old 08-21-02, 09:11 AM

Ok, well I just beat this game last night. I finished with 81 shines, so I still have a lot to do. The game is a lot of fun, and if you liked Mario 64, this game is very similar from what I hear, I never played Mario 64. It is also somewhat frustrating to the rookie Mario player like me. In fact the only negative I can give it, is that I really suck at some parts (
Spoiler:
yoshi
)of the game. If you like platformers, with mild problem solving and palm sweating jump timing then you'll probably like this game. The worlds are incredible and I really like how you can see the different worlds in the background in Dolphic Town. If you have questions, I'll see if I can answer them.
Old 08-22-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait to be a plumber/street cleaner!!! It's going to be great! Blue collar work in the video game worlds sounds exciting. Aug 22 TRU will have it;-)
Old 08-22-02, 09:56 AM

Cleaning the town is not a great priority. Only one or two stages require you to clean the area completely.
Old 08-22-02, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't wait to be spoiled so all I know is you clean the island.

Without spoiling me....is there other worlds other than the island? Like those snow, rainbow, and others.
Old 08-22-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope.
Old 08-22-02, 10:44 AM

There are eight areas(sub areas) in the island. They each have there own theme, but are not like snow or rainbow, they are more like other parts of the island. In fact you can see many of them in the background of the main island. You have to "unlock" these areas by completing certain tasks.
Old 08-22-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
Aug 22 TRU will have it
Do you mean Toys R Us will be selling it almost a week early? If so I'm going to Toys R Us ASAP.
Old 08-22-02, 12:23 PM

I'm sorry....just looked at my slip...it says Aug 27
Old 08-22-02, 12:26 PM

Wow, I'm going to miss those worlds.

I'm looking foward to BK ...that game is sure to be loaded with new and fun worlds to explore.

Thinking about fun worlds to explore.....wouldn't it be cool to play tag/hide-n-seek as a 2p mode. hmmmmm
Old 08-22-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

EGM gave Mario 3 9.5's but it didn't get game of the month because of Castlevania on the GBA got a 10 and two 9.5's.

I played it at Target. Awesome time. Can't wait.
Old 12-27-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are two spots that are on fire in the main area and I cant put them out. Help a brother out. One is a pipe on an island and another is up on one of the towers and I can see a shine behind it. I grabbed one of those water barrells and threw it on one and it didnt do anything. I cant find anything on any of the faqs either.
Old 12-27-02, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
jolt, that isn't fire, and it can't be put out with water. There's actually a big hint in the manual on how to get rid of them, and an explicit hint in the spoiler tag below:

Spoiler:
They need to be sprayed with juice by Yoshi.
Old 12-27-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Son of a...
But mechabowser scares me. I just want to stay in the safe part of the island and find stuff.
Old 12-28-02, 08:24 AM

Let me tell you this game came and went fast!
Old 12-28-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

Spoiler:
They need to be sprayed with juice by Yoshi.
That is just plain gross