Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

watch out, r2 version of 24 is cut (spoilers alert, dont read if u have not seen yet)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

watch out, r2 version of 24 is cut (spoilers alert, dont read if u have not seen yet)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from an european forum site, we don't have the sequence where Teri tells Nina she is pregnant (from episode 23) on the DVDs. there is a posibilty of more cuts, so dont get the uk version if you were thinking of it.
Old 08-19-02, 01:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That's a pretty odd cut...I guess the point is to make the ending somehow less brutal?
Old 08-19-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

just to let u know, the BBC just got some episodes with different edits which were never meant to be broadcast
Old 08-19-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Honestly, I watched the entire show from the start and am a huge fan but I never remember Teri telling Nina she was pregnant.

Anyone else?
Old 08-19-02, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I understand it, the shows that aired in the US already had the cuts (that is probably why you don't recall Teri telling Nina she was pregnant), whereas the UK, by some trick of fate, aired shows which were not cut and, apparently, not supposed to be aired.

On the UK DVD discussion forums, people are irked over the fact that on the DVD they are not getting the show that aired in the UK, but rather are getting the US version instead. Now a lot of people are talking of waiting for the R1 release to see if they include the deleted scenes.

regards, Tim...
Old 08-19-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait a second, so there were cuts to the U.S version of "24?" Wow, that really sucks.
Old 08-19-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

these cuts were never meant to air anyway
Old 08-19-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah but they did and they apparently explain a few things about the finale.
Old 08-19-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, another reason why the europeans are pissed is that the european vhs version contains the bbc version which does contain some deleated scenes. so if u have a pal vhs, you might wanna pick it up out of curiosity
Old 08-19-02, 06:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to International.
Old 08-19-02, 11:27 PM

Location: Over the hills and far away, where the view is NOT as nice as rumored.
It's simple really. Since American TV is full of commercials, foreign broadcasts often add in the deleted scenes of a show to fill out the time slot. Often times the original directors aren't happy about this, and I'm sure that's what happened in the UK case.
Old 08-20-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pythonomad
It's simple really. Since American TV is full of commercials, foreign broadcasts often add in the deleted scenes of a show to fill out the time slot. Often times the original directors aren't happy about this, and I'm sure that's what happened in the UK case.

Apparently that’s not the case here. It’s not as if every episode had footage unseen in the US, it’s just this one MAJOR plot point which lends a whole new brutal slant to the ending. I saw all the UK transmissions and I’m very disappointed this is not on the DVD and will wait to see what happens with the US version but I don’t think it’ll be on there either.
Old 08-21-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ah damnit man, after complaining to fox, now the r 2 version will contain the bbc version with scenes that did not get into the usa version. there is speculation on a european forum site that now they might get to see the plane explode in its entirty! [it was edited here due to 9/11]
Old 08-23-02, 06:05 PM

BBC's teletext has an item about disgruntled 24 purchasers being able to return discs 5 & 6 to Fox for a replacement which shows the BBC TV 24 footage not contained on the US discs. However, the teletext piece also says that this will be the only way to get hold of the missing footage; there are no plans to reissue the discs with the footage in place. Sounds a little odd: does Fox have spare discs with the edited scenes ? Maybe you'd end up with VHS tapes substituted for DVDs....
Old 08-24-02, 03:34 AM
Cool New Member

The full Fox release taken from the R2 project www.r2-dvd.org.uk

The UK DVD release of 24 is taken from the US version and therefore contains approx.90 secs of cuts from the UK aired programmes on the last five episodes.

As a gesture of goodwill, Fox are offering to replace the discs affected. It must be stated that THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT RECALL as has been falsely reported, as the discs are not faulty in any way.

If consumers wish to replace discs 5 and 6, which are the only ones affected, they can write to the following address free of charge, including their original ones:

20th Century Fox
Freepost 38LON203004
London
W1E 3HG

Discs will be available in approx 4-5 weeks.

The VHS version contains all of the UK aired programmes.