Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Authenticity of autographs on eBay??

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seemed like the logical place for this thread ...

iIve been looking lately for autographs and I see there are some dealers with high feedback, COAs and money-back guarantees with their products. I just wonder if this still signifies that the product is legit. It just seems that there are a lot of autographs on EBAY and I don't see how all of them could be authentic. The entertainer would have to spend a few hours each week just signing 8x10's. Especially the Buffy cast pics -- there seem to be 25-30 every week. This just doesn't seem practical. I read somewhere that 90% of all autographs on EBAY are forgeries. Is there any way to tell for sure?? What do I look for?? I bought a couple of autographs from a dealer on EBAY a couple of years ago. They came with COA and money-back guarantees, etc. Supposedly the gallery has been in business for a long time, but they no longer do business on EBAY. I almost hate to find out because I really like the pics, but for future purchases, I am curious.
Old 08-19-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

COA's don't mean s***. Anyone can type a piece of paper and say it's "authentic".

If the dealer is a member of the UACC, they are most likely legit. www.uacc.org. Unfortunately, even then, you may get hosed.

Buying autographs is a very iffy proposition.

I have had very good luck with Iconographs and Starr Autographs. They both sell on Ebay and have their own websites.
Old 08-19-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only way to be sure is to get it in person.
Old 08-20-02, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few years back I saw an "authentic autographed photo of Calista Flockhart" offered on ebay...
the scan showed that the picture was signed like this:

Calista Flock Heart

Old 08-20-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by J-Dubya
The only way to be sure is to get it in person.
Sound advice.
Old 08-20-02, 04:58 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I'd pass on buying autographs; especially from Ebay. I see a ton of fakes there that come with COA's. Very often the fake signature isn't even on a high quality photograph but instead is on a poor quality computer print out of a magazine scan.

If you're going to collect autographs, get them in person.
Old 08-22-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cineman is exactly right. I have a nice collection of Springsteen autograph's meeting Bruce after shows etc. COmparing these to those on Ebay is scary. The guarntee is only as good as the person backing it up.
Old 08-22-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah...skip aotograph's on ebay. from what i've seen..they all look fake,since the seller seems to have a billion copies up for auction each week & like you said,i doubt the star(s) would spend that muchtime signing the same photo a billion times over!

Reminds me of this store in the Mall of America that sells 'real' sports & entertainer autographs for upwards of hundreds of dollers. Well all the pictures going all the way back until the early 1900's have 'crisp clear new none faded' autograph's that claim to be legit,yet theres no way they are,considering alot of the people are dead + they all appear to be written the same & look like they were just written today,rather than being vintage & 'past down' from a few generations as they claim.

Nothing but trying to scam dumb gulible sports & film fanatics who think they are getting the real deal!
Old 08-22-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember reading an article awhile back saying that the FBI was trying to crack down on stuff like that, and they said something like at least 90% of autographs on eBay are fakes. Don't waste your money.