Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

advice on next area to upgrade in?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-02, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I thought I would run a question by the group here. I am currently very happy with my current home theater setup. the specs are as follows below.

Display: Sony 32 inch Wega
Receiver: Onkyo 575TX
Front Speakers: Klipsch synergy CF 8.5
Center: Kliipsch synergy center
Sub: Klipsch 10 in.
Surround Speakers: Polk FX 330
DVD Player: Rca early generation model, not sure of exact model.

Now this setup as it is now is really decent in sound and picture quality. Not the best, but pretty impressive to most people.

My question is what is the next direction to go in if I have the funds available for an upgrade? which way will give me the most bang for the buck. I was considering getting a widescreen display, but that would require a new entertainment center, as the current 32 incher is the biggest that will fit. I guess the display is really the next center of upgrade, because anything beyond that will hinge on the display right? ie. progressive scan etc....

what are your thoughts?
Old 08-18-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go with a DVD player upgrade. I'm sure you can find a much better one around. But then again I really don't know much
Old 08-19-02, 06:31 AM
Cool New Member

I was caught in the entertaiment center trap, as well. Couldn't upgrade the TV without spending another couple of thousand dollars for a new wall unit.

My main issue was the depth in the unit. Since I liked the wall unit, I went for an older generation 42" plasma TV. While it was not HD compatible, it was 480P (progressive scan) compatible and was only about $3,000. By my math, the TV only cost me $1,000.

From there, I was able to upgrade the DVD player for a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited by skinsfan; 08-19-02 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Upgrade your TV, then DVD Player and finally sell that 10" Klipsch Sub and purchase a 12" Klipsch!
Old 08-20-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1) New DVD player, progressive scan...

2) 16X9 HDTV.

You'll need #1 when you buy #2, so you might as well get em' both at the same time.
Old 08-20-02, 05:36 PM

well, as far as selling the sub, I wouldn't go with another premade sub to replace it, the only direction I would go in there is one of those nice do it yourself sonotube subs....
but thats a ways off.

I really think I will be forced to bite the bullet, and drop some serious cash on a new wall unit and a HDTV widescreen unit to replace the current tv.

and of course with the hdtv comes the progressive scan multiregion dvd player

Once this is done, I will build the sonotube, probably a 6' tall unit with a 500 watt amp. that ought to do the trick