Guilty Gear XX- The Midnight Carnival

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-17-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Heaven or Hell?...Deul 1...Let's Rock.

Greetings fighting fans, it's been a while since I've done this so forgive me ahead of time for the rust, and above all we now know that you can't have an opinion on something unless you've experienced it first hand.

As some of you may or may not know Guilty Gear XX is the follow up to the highly (underated yet) successful Guilty Gear X which was an Dreamcast import and just recently discontinued on PS2. This game Guilty Gear XX is powered by the NAOMI board which housed such games as Capcom VS SNK 2, and Marvel VS Capcom 2. And believe me when I say the game pulls no punches in letting you know how good it looks. And the screen I was playing it on made it all the better. The game's cast is comprised of all the characters from the previous game including four new characters to keep old veterans interested, and the inclusion of the bosses from the previous game. Testament and Dizzy, also known as "AweofShe". Of the new characters the one who caught my eye was Bridgete (picutured here)

Not since StarTropics have I seen a character fight with a Yo-Yo, It was very impressive. She is accompanied by Slayer a vampire fighter who feeds upon his victums before a fight. As well as Zappa a lunatic who fights while bent over backwards, and walks a lot like Voldo from Soul Calibur. He doesnt fight with a blade at all times, but with spirits. the style is comparable to that found in Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure. Whie playing the game I didnt come across the last new character I-no.

So my review is a little incomplete.

The best way to describe the type of upgrade this game has been given is to compare it to SF: Champion Edition. Each characters stage has been revamped, and new animations, and people have been placed in the background. for example for those of who played GG X, Testment's level "Hell" which was once a pit full of raging magma, and fire; has now turned to ash and everything is white. Spooky no? The characters as well have been rounded out, although most have an advantage over the other. Fans of the soundtrack will be pleased to know that the music has not changed, it still boasts the same heavy metal tracks, and while I could be mistaken a few of the levels have been remixed. The arcade was so loud from people playing DDR I could'nt hear the music too well. What fighting game would be complete without supers or as they are known in Guilty Gear "Overdrives". The old cast have been given one new overdrive, and you can perform one of them in the air. Not to be outdone by Capcom's VS series GG XX has simplified (somewhat) thei air combo system. no longer do you have to press two buttons to launch your oppenant in the air, it is now a matter of pressing a single button, and making sure you connect. Be careful though as before your oppenant can bounce back from arial launches, added to the air combat is the addition of air throws.

Tired of being cheesed to death by someone who wont let up on you? Well here comes the addition of the Burst. A burst can deflect your oppenant away from you while you are blocking, and if they are trying to finish you off with an overdrive. and let us not forget the Insta-kills, they are back and if you do connect with one your oppenant loses the round. The difficulty is still there, and even after playing the game for about an hour I still couldnt beat it. I never continued because the more you do the harder it gets. It was difficult however to walk away from this machine the game is amazing, and I dont know if Sammy plans to bring this game state side, nd chances are if it does it will more than likely be a PS2 import. That said we probably wont see it until long after it is released. Guilty Gear XX was released in japan back in June, and chances are your local arcade doesnt have it yet, but hopefully they will soon. If you have the oppurtunity play this game. You wont regret it . Special thanks go to the Madmancafe for the pics. Want some artwork and a trailer for this masterpiece? Then head over to aweofshe.comand click on the download section. Thanks for reading.

Another post from your friendly neighborhood

zero

some more pics of the game in action.

Last edited by zero; 08-17-02 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks pretty damn cool
Old 08-17-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
You can have an opinion on something you haven't experienced, but it just won't carry as much weight as an opinion coming from someone who's had the experience.

That does look cool though. Fighter games aren't my favorite, but I like Anime - oh how I'm torn.
Old 08-18-02, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Guilty Gear XX- The Midnight Carnival

Originally posted by zero
Not since StarTropics have I seen a character fight with a Yo-Yo, It was very impressive.
I can't remember her name ... but the girl from Ergheiz on PlayStation fought with a yo-yo. I think her name was Yoko. Pretty sure.
Old 08-18-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Guilty Gear XX- The Midnight Carnival

Originally posted by Mattalos

I can't remember her name ... but the girl from Ergheiz on PlayStation fought with a yo-yo. I think her name was Yoko. Pretty sure.
Oh yeah I forgot about her, good game in the arcade horrrrrrible translation on the PSX. Some good news however seems I was mistaken check this out...http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=280613

-zero
Old 08-19-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 158 Posts
Having seen this game in the arcades at Japan, I would have to say that they've made vast improvements graphically over Guilty Gear X. I also saw this game being played in Hong Kong as well. The gameplay also looked quiet interesting. However, I never saw anyone successfully pull off the "instant kill" against other players.

One thing that bugs me though about the game is that the cheese factor is still quiet high. Much like in Marvel vs. Capcom II, good button mashers can still use the same pattern over and over to lock the other guy in a corner. Dizzy seems like a popular choice among the good cheesers. While I do realize that it still takes skills to execute the combos flawlessly, but it does not change the fact that they are just doing the same thing over and over and over...

This little tidbit from IGN also confirms that a PS2 port for GGXX is forthcoming.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/366/366969p1.html

PAL
Old 08-19-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Having seen this game in the arcades at Japan, I would have to say that they've made vast improvements graphically over Guilty Gear X. I also saw this game being played in Hong Kong as well. The gameplay also looked quiet interesting. However, I never saw anyone successfully pull off the "instant kill" against other players.

One thing that bugs me though about the game is that the cheese factor is still quiet high. Much like in Marvel vs. Capcom II, good button mashers can still use the same pattern over and over to lock the other guy in a corner. Dizzy seems like a popular choice among the good cheesers. While I do realize that it still takes skills to execute the combos flawlessly, but it does not change the fact that they are just doing the same thing over and over and over...

This little tidbit from IGN also confirms that a PS2 port for GGXX is forthcoming.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/366/366969p1.html

PAL
I agree with what your saying the cheese in this game is only bound by the imagination of the player your fighting. But the burst is a good addition to keep those who are cheesey from spamming you to death. Dizzy is a popular choice due to the fact she is end all be all of cheesey bosses in fighting games. But there is always a way around the pattern, even if you keep dying by the hands of it.