Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

If I get DirecTV will I receive a HDTV signal?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-17-02, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
I have a Toshiba 65H81 and a Toshiba DST3000 HDTV receiver. If i sign up with Directv will I be able to watch shows in HDTV such as 'King Of Queens' on CBS. It's brodcasted in HDTV but will I really be receiving it in HDTV? Also, Does anyone know if 'The Sopranos Season Four' will be in HDTV? Thanks
Old 08-17-02, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is what i have been told:

for directv
if you have a hd reciever you get Show HD, HBO HD, HDnet all for free you don't have to sign up for hbo and stuff to get teh hd versions. I don't have this, but a friend of mine that has hd directv has told me that. But Directv doesn't do CBS-HD over its sats, last time i checked.

for dish network - they have an option to get the cbs (and only cbs) hd over the sat.

you can however use your directv HD reciever to pick up OTA if its avail in your area.

Last edited by hypeiv; 08-17-02 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-17-02, 04:10 PM

If you already have a DTV receiver you should be able to get HD already. This all depends, of course, on whether or not your antenna is set up right, how far you live from the transmitters, and most importantly if DTV is available in your area yet. Also just because a station is broadcasting digitally doesn't always mean they are sending out an HD signal.
Old 08-18-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All this stuff is why I have not jumped on the HDTV bandwagon quite yet. The cable companies need to pick up HDTV.
Old 08-18-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirectTV doesn't transmit any locals in HD. In some rare cases you can get CBS in HD but only if you can get a waiver from your local affiliate which I here is very hard to do.
Old 08-20-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dude, not to sound like an a-hole but DELETED

Last edited by bfrank; 08-21-02 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 10:34 AM

Not sure about DTV, but with Dish you need a separate antenna for HD since they are broadcast over a different satellite.
Old 08-20-02, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

for DTV-- you will need a special reciever (like the one by hughes etc) that is made for high def. satelite channels plus a special DTV satellite
for the local channels --you will need a HD tuner as well as a special outside antenna
Old 08-21-02, 12:24 PM

An outside antenna is not necessary for digital television. All you need is a good UHF antenna. It can be located either inside or outside. It all depends on the availability of DTV (digital TV not DirecTV) in your area.