Doom 3 for XBox confirmed.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-16-02, 07:39 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doom III confirmed for Xbox

John Carmack confirms that the graphically impressive first-person shooter will come out for the Xbox and will match the visual fidelity of the PC version.

Id Software had previously expressed interest in doing an Xbox version of its upcoming first-person shooter, but hadn't confirmed that there would be a console version of the game. Today during his keynote at QuakeCon, id's John Carmack said that the Xbox is the only console platform that id is "completely committed" to releasing Doom III on. Carmack further commented that the Xbox version will have the "full graphics fidelity" of the PC version, which made a major debut at this year's E3, where it won a number of awards.

Id Software has said that work on the Xbox version won't start until the PC game is complete. At QuakeCon 2002, id expressed hope that the game would be done before next year's E3 in May. For more information, check out our previous coverage of the PC game.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...877682,00.html

I've had this on my list for a while since John Carmack mentioned it at E3, but it's finally confirmed. I'm really amazed the graphical quality will match it's PC counterpart.
Old 08-16-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Doom 3 for XBox confirmed.

Originally posted by Flay
I'm really amazed the graphical quality will match it's PC counterpart.
Me too. If they can get it to run nicely on the Xbox then my PC should be able to handle it. I was worried after seeing the Demo at E3.
Old 08-16-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just thought about posting this hehe. Well my PC is an Athlon XP 1900+ with a GF4 ti 4200. I don't see difficulty running on my computer at all, but I really prefer to play games on consoles. If the X-Box version turns out looking as good as the PC counterpart then I may have to get the Xbox version.
Old 08-16-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool. I think I might actually get this one on the Xbox instead of the PC just for the DD sound .
Old 08-16-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We might have to wait a year or more after the pc version is complete for the game to come out on x-box. Id also takes it time with games, so we might have to wait a while. I guess I'll just have to make due with Halo 2 until it comes out.

Last edited by ten41; 08-16-02 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-16-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah... I guess I'll just have to "MAKE DUE" with HALO 2 as well
Old 08-16-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah bit of a pain to have to wait until after the PC version but fairs fair after all

Chris
Old 08-17-02, 03:30 AM
Banned

This is pretty cool, as Doom 3 will certainly be a big game... If Microsoft can somehow lend its help in making it programmed perfectly for Xbox, could be an awesome game on Xbox Live and look good with the "only for Xbox" logo on it!

-Jim
Old 08-17-02, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it any big surprise? Microsoft tosses a few $$$'s there way and gives them some promises that XP wont screw it up. and of course carmack would promise a port over to Microsoft's system.

I really have to question about the graphics. maybe the stock graphic settings, but considering that graphic cards will advance by the time it comes out, the quality on PC will still top over any console system. (not to start a fued or anything) I'm sure it will be great, and I do hope something is worked out so xbox users can play death match with pc users
Old 08-17-02, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
So the Xbox runs on Windows XP? I was unaware of that. Oh, and game developers wouldn't want to develop a game for the Xbox unless Microsoft showered them with money? That makes sense.

The graphics will be incredible on the Xbox - it's plenty powerful enough to handle Doom 3 since it's not hampered by the OS like a PC. In a year, PCs will be 3 times as powerful as the Xbox, but will only show being 1 1/2 times as powerful with Windows XP installed. The game's engine will run on current machines (otherwise, how would they develop it?) and anybody who currently owns a system that can play any game out now at respectable resolutions should be able to play Doom 3 when it comes out. I'd hate to have Xbox users play against PC users.
Old 08-17-02, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
why would you hate to have xbox users play against PC users?
Old 08-17-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just cuz - I can't explain it without starting an argument.
Old 08-17-02, 12:27 PM
Banned

I prefer Xbox games being ONLY xbox gamers competing against each other.

IT is a level playing field then, as nobody has a keyboard/mouse combination, we are all using the controller.. and nobody has a different speed computer or anything..

-Jim
Old 08-17-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no freakin way I could wait for the Box version of this.
Old 08-17-02, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Was it any big surprise? Microsoft tosses a few $$$'s there way and gives them some promises that XP wont screw it up. and of course carmack would promise a port over to Microsoft's system.

Xbox uses the Windows 2000 kernel, not XP.
Old 08-17-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I seriously doubt youll see legitimate PC vs Box servers. Im pretty sure your Live account gets tied to the serial number of your XBox. Thats not to say there wont be Gamespy tunnel type ways of using your box to get on PC Doom servers. But I dont think youll see it the other way around (PC versions getting on Live servers).
Old 08-17-02, 05:36 PM
Banned

I will wait for Doom 3 on Xbox, and have to.. as I dont spend anything for videocards on my computer, prefer to just spend the $200 for a console...

My computer is for internet, papers, and other "non-fun" to "slightly fun" stuff.

-Jim
Old 08-17-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kind of unrelated to doom 3 but there is some cool news from quakecon 2002 for Return to Castle Wolfenstein on x-box.

There will be full support for Xbox Live for competitive multiplayer, and the two-player coop has been confirmed for at least split-screen and LAN play.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...877714,00.html
Old 08-17-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Trigger
Just cuz - I can't explain it without starting an argument.
Well really, you can't post without starting an argument.

I just figure this would be a good way to test the whole PC vs Console folks.
Old 08-17-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Tamrok

Xbox uses the Windows 2000 kernel, not XP.
the joke/reference was that microsoft would make a promise to not let XP screw up any running like it has to many other games..

Blah, I guess some gamers just don't have a funny bone.
Old 08-17-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Blah, I guess some gamers just don't have a funny bone.
It's probably funnier in English.
Old 08-17-02, 08:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

It's probably funnier in English.
You need to get your English to JackSkeletonese dictionary my friend, it comes in very handy!

The reason PC gamers shouldn't play against Xbox gamers IMO is because of resolution differences.
Old 08-17-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

You need to get your English to JackSkeletonese dictionary my friend, it comes in very handy!

The reason PC gamers shouldn't play against Xbox gamers IMO is because of resolution differences.
I already ordered a copy off amazon...

How can resolution differences make a difference? I guess what I was going to say was that mouse keyboard owns xbox controller in FPS games. I don't think they should play together because there's enough sucky players on the online PC FPS community as it is. I need some more competition. Actually - I'm gonna pick the game up for both Xbox and PC if it's as good as I think it's going to be... I'm more in this one for the single player experience.

I don't think it will happen though cuz PC version will get patched and then so much for compatability between the two.
Old 08-17-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what I was going to say was that mouse keyboard owns xbox controller in FPS games.
Not only will the controls be more accurate but the framerate will most likely be smoother and most importantly the PCers will have been playing on these maps for a good six months to a year before the XBoxers get there.

They would be squished into goo.

PS- Trigger have you seen the Photochop thread in Other?

Last edited by joltaddict; 08-18-02 at 10:56 AM.