Reload this Page >

Anyone Get Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 2...???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-15-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Anyone? If so how does it compare to the TOny Hawk series...???
Old 08-15-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
A couple of friends got it and I mostly watched, but its a pretty tough game.

You have the flatland tricks which are a big improvement over Dave Mirra 2, but the levels seem much smaller than Dave Mirra 2. They seem more Tony Hawk 3 sized levels which really isn't that big on a bike. Holding your balance seems much harder than in Dave Mirra 2 and I would love a perfect balance code for this game.

The trick system is very similar to Tony Hawk 3, but there is no on screen list for the tricks that I could find. You can also tweak the tricks such as taking your hands off the handlebars. You can also do spine transfers instead of just going back down the same ramp.

The objectives are kind of like Dave Mirra 2. You start out with 5 amateur tricks you have to do, then you get the semi pro tricks, and so on until you do them all. However, like with Dave Mirra 2 there will be many tricks you can't do until you get a better bike later in the game so you will have to revisit old levels.

You get points for beating objectives and the points unlock new levels, plus you can sometimes choose the next level you want to go to between two choices.

There is some cool stuff. Like your friend is hurt so you have to free the helicopter to get him. You find the chopper and grind the rope holding it so it breaks. They chopper then goes to rescue him and when you get back to where he was you can get his bike he left behind. Thats one way of upgrading your bike.

Its a decent game from what I saw and played, but no where near as fun as Tony Hawk. However, if you are a fan of these types of games it might be worth getting. I personally thought some of the objectives where the kind that will make you throw your controller, but sometimes thats the challenge that makes these games worth beating.
Old 08-16-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked it up last night for the Xbox was a little disappointed.
The graphics were worse than THPS3 and Dave Mirra. They did almost no optimization for the Xbox.
No tutorial - I'd like to learn how to continue a combo like the revert in Tony Hawk (you can do it, I'm just not clear how).
No custom CD tracks from what I see.
Everything looks ripped from the Dave Mirra game which is odd (I was expecting THPS3 on a bike).
You can't edit tricks.
I've only unlocked 2 levels so far so I may be too hard on it.

Doug
Old 08-16-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a rental.