Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

hook up question (technical and complex)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-13-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll try and describe this set up the best i can. the object is to get surround sound out of my ps2

Components:

27" sony wega = 1 component video, 1 svideo, 2 composite

sony dvd player = 1 component video, 1 svideo,
1 composite, 1 optical

kenwood reciever = 5 svideo + 1 on front, 6 + 1 on front composite, 3 opitical,
3 component video

ps2 = 1 composite or svideo or component, 1 optical

Ok for connection layout

dvd is connected to tv via component cable, dvd also connected to the reciever via optical cable.

ps2 is connected to tv via svideo cable

what i want to do is hook up the ps2 to the reciever via optical, but when i tried, no sound came out, and yes i changed the setting on ps2.

I think i might know what im doing wrong, the optical cable from the dvd to the reciever is plugged into the cd/dvd optical out. the other optical out is supposed to be used with video 3 from the reciever which is an svideo jack. the 3rd optical is for optical in for a monitor so im pretty sure that is unusable in this situation.

so my question is this if i used the 2nd optical. I would plug the svideo cable from ps2 into the reciever under video 3, but I think i would have to run another svideo from the reciever to the television.

I have no idea

any ideas, suggestions. my idea would require me gettin another svideo cable
Old 08-13-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
You should be able to just use the optical for Video 3 on the receiver without having any video going through it. On your receiver - you should have optical ins and it sounds like you have an optical out. Whatever device you plug in via optical cable, it has to go into an "in" on the receiver. It should be independent of the video cable. I'd suggest hooking up the PS2 via optical and the DVD/CD in on the receiver... if it works as is, then there's something else missing in the equasion... if it doesn't work, then it's not the way you are hooking it to the receiver, it's something to do with the PS2.