Reload this Page >

Xbox Live Launch Details

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live Launch Details

Old 08-13-02, 12:18 PM
Shawn

Xbox Live Launch Details

From Gamespot:
Microsoft has announced launch details for its online gaming service. Xbox Live will launch November 15, the one year anniversary of the console's release. The Xbox Live starter kit will be sold at over 5,000 retail outlets across the US for $49.95. The kit will contain the Xbox Communicator headset, a demo disc, and a one-year subscription to the broadband only service. There will be seven online games available from first and third party developers. Microsoft will offer NFL Fever 2003 (which has recently shipped to stores), Whacked! and MechAssault. Third party offerings will include Unreal Championship from Infogrames, Ghost Recon from Ubisoft, and NFL 2K3, which has just shipped to stores, and NBA 2K3 from Sega--a total of 12 Xbox Live games will be by year's end. Exact details on the titles are expected to follow in the coming weeks. For 2003, titles such as Halo 2, Project Gotham 2, Star Wars Galaxies and Counterstrike are slated to ship for the service.

For a look at some of the features offered by the service check out our media of a demonstration from X02.
Sorry, I didn't know if this was already posted, so if it was, tell me and I'll delete it. And I was just reading on Gamespot that KOTOR has slipped to 2003.

Last edited by Shawn; 08-13-02 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....Star Wars Glalaxies !!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought that the live kit was going to also include Re-volt for the X-box. Did they drop that?
Old 08-13-02, 05:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by MrPink
I thought that the live kit was going to also include Re-volt for the X-box. Did they drop that?
It's up in the air. MS noticed a negative reaction to Revolt, since it's a pretty mediocre game. Now they are looking to change the game or add another game to go with Revolt.

My guess is that the beta testers will get a chance to play the new game, if there actually is one.
Old 08-13-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long will you be able to buy Live for $50? I'm not sure if I want to go online with my Xbox but I also don't want to lose out on the $50 price.
Old 08-13-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Flay

It's up in the air. MS noticed a negative reaction to Revolt, since it's a pretty mediocre game. Now they are looking to change the game or add another game to go with Revolt.

My guess is that the beta testers will get a chance to play the new game, if there actually is one.
Revolt is not that bad a game. It got crapped on when it was on the dreamcast and we used to have lots of fun with it.
Old 08-13-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldnt care less what they package with it, Unreal and NBA2k3 will keep me a happy gamer for a good long time.
Old 08-13-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In their original press release they mentioned that over 100K people applied for beta testing.
Old 08-13-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Icculus
How long will you be able to buy Live for $50? I'm not sure if I want to go online with my Xbox but I also don't want to lose out on the $50 price.
I don't remember hearing that it would ever cost any more than that.
Old 08-13-02, 11:11 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by joltaddict
I couldnt care less what they package with it, Unreal and NBA2k3 will keep me a happy gamer for a good long time.
Old 08-13-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I thought I read somewhere that the $50 price was for the first year or so, after that they were going to $10 a month.

Last edited by Icculus; 08-13-02 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 11:16 PM
Shawn

While Microsoft hasn't officially announced it, most people seem to think that it will cost about $10/month after the first year.
Old 08-14-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
my ass - I'll pay 50 bucks for a year of access, but I'm not paying 10 bucks a month for something I get for free on my PC. Online gaming on my PC is good enough for me anyway. Damn. Microsoft should give the online experience away, those bastards.
Old 08-14-02, 12:21 AM
Shawn

my ass - I'll pay 50 bucks for a year of access, but I'm not paying 10 bucks a month for something I get for free on my PC. Online gaming on my PC is good enough for me anyway. Damn. Microsoft should give the online experience away, those bastards.
Again, that's still a rumor.
Old 08-14-02, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FonMan

....Star Wars Glalaxies !!!!!!!!!

thats a loooooooooooooooooooooooong way off
Old 08-14-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shawn

While Microsoft hasn't officially announced it, most people seem to think that it will cost about $10/month after the first year.
what would prevent you from buying another 1 year kit after the first year?
Old 08-14-02, 07:22 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by hypeiv

what would prevent you from buying another 1 year kit after the first year?
Several reasons:

1. The kit probably won't be offered at the end of the first year. It's also about the time Halo 2 Online will be coming out meaning MS can charge me whatever they want.

2. You would lose all of your stats, online rankings, and user name. Unless you absolutely suck at all games or picked a stupid name like Poopshoot Avenger, it's not worth it.

3. You would have to use a different credit card and falsify some information to register again.
Old 08-14-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flay

2. You would lose all of your stats, online rankings, and user name. Unless you absolutely suck at all games or picked a stupid name like Poopshoot Avenger, it's not worth it.
lol, if I didn't know better, I'd think this were a personal insult directed at me. I usually play with the name: ButtPirate
Old 08-14-02, 09:35 AM
Banned

Your XBox has a serial number tied to it internally, which XBox live will read.

So it is not possibly to have multiple accounts.

You can bring your account via memory card to someone elses Xbox Live, but I dont see that as being a way to circumvent the serial # of the Xbox.

Also, I imagine that the starter pack will always be $50, and then it will be $10 a month after that. They want people to get into XBox Live easily and cheaply.. So I see Xbox Live Starter Pack costing $50 for a good while..

-Jim
Old 10-29-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just an update. I didn't see this posted anywhere here. I noticed in the latest EGM the Xbox Live add shows the pack in games are Whacked and MotoGP. Not bad. I have MotoGP already. Is the retail version the same as the online version? What about Whacked? Any reviews?
Old 10-29-02, 11:52 PM

The online version of Moto GP will upgrade your retail version to online as well, via the hard drive. Lucky you...
Old 10-30-02, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by drbuns
The online version of Moto GP will upgrade your retail version to online as well, via the hard drive. Lucky you...
But will the pack in motoGP be the same as the regular motoGP well ofcourse minus the online? Because I sold my motoGP a month ago...
Old 10-30-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Unless they've changed things in the last month (entirely possible), the Moto GP in the pack is a demo version -- comes with nearly all riders unlocked, and 3 tracks unlocked IIRC -- I need to play some more tonight.

HOWEVER -- if you've played the full game on your machine, unlocked tracks, created new rider, etc. -- as long as the game is still saved and hasn't been erased, everything you've unlocked will be playable when you pop in the demo online disk. You can't play online using the current full version, you can just use that to build up your rider and skills, and then to play online, you put in the demo disk (included with the pack) and play. Works really nicely. I'll test my rider tonight to see if everything is as they say.

Tuan Jim
Old 10-30-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by zerotl
But will the pack in motoGP be the same as the regular motoGP well ofcourse minus the online? Because I sold my motoGP a month ago...
If you still have the the saved games on your xbox. i.e. unlocked courses, unlocked riders, and/or custom bikes from Moto GP. They will also be unlocked in the Moto GP Version. Bonus for you.