Reload this Page >

Mario and Starfox and EB and Gamespot

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-13-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to EB and Gamespot yesterday at a local mall. Both had the July 2002 demo disc for the GC, which features playable versions of Starfox Adventures AND Super Mario Sunshine, as well as video's for Metroid and some other games.

After playing Mario for just a couple minutes I was really glad I pre-ordered it. However, I'm just not sure about Starfox yet. I guess I was looking for more action or something. It just seemed really slow to me. Also seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to it. I'll prob play it again before I make any sort of decision there.

Metroid looked kick ass btw.
Old 08-13-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played both at EB the other day. Mario was a gem. Star Fox looked good, but I have to agree that there was no action in the sequences I played. I was also dissapointed that the graphics, although crisp and colorful, didn't look very complex.
Old 08-13-02, 09:42 AM
Cat

I wasn't too impressed with StarFox either, but I only played it for a brief bit. Mario was everything I expected it to be and made me realize the wait is driving me nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Cat
Old 08-13-02, 09:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I just wish Nintendo would distribute their demo discs with their magazine.
Old 08-13-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Or at least one of those cheesy promo videos like back in the n64 days.
Old 08-13-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's interesting that others are feeling the same way about Starfox. I wonder if it just takes a while to get into it or what...

There's plenty of other incredible games coming out this 4th quarter though, so I won't be too disappointed if SF ends up being bad.
Old 08-13-02, 11:36 AM

Isn't Starfox Adventures a bit like the Zelda 64 games? If that's the case, I could understand why a demo doesn't do it justice. It takes a while to get into games like that.
Old 08-13-02, 12:33 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Cat
I wasn't too impressed with StarFox either, but I only played it for a brief bit. Mario was everything I expected it to be and made me realize the wait is driving me nuts! I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Cat
Only two weeks left.
Old 08-13-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Mario and Starfox and EB and Gamespot

Originally posted by Zodo
Went to EB and Gamespot yesterday at a local mall. Both had the July 2002 demo disc for the GC, which features playable versions of Starfox Adventures AND Super Mario Sunshine, as well as video's for Metroid and some other games.

After playing Mario for just a couple minutes I was really glad I pre-ordered it. However, I'm just not sure about Starfox yet. I guess I was looking for more action or something. It just seemed really slow to me. Also seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to it. I'll prob play it again before I make any sort of decision there.

Metroid looked kick ass btw.
Is "Gamespot" the same thing as Gamestop? If so, there's one in the local mall I could stop in and check em out.
Old 08-13-02, 04:49 PM

I think he meant Gamestop. Gamespot is a video game news and review website.

Went to see for myself at my EB. Saw like 2 seconds of Super Mario Sunshine before two kids hogged the console. They played Super Monkey Ball 2 which got me salivating for that game. I'll try again another day for a look at Starfox Adventures.
Old 08-13-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
So do I. Alot.
Old 08-13-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm. I seen the new demo disk today at EB and whats the first thing I play? Beach Spikers great graphics, still trying to decide if the controls were sluggish although it could have been the camera angle, it sucked at times. When you win a match the girls hug, hmm... maybe I should wait for DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball.

I also played a bit of Super Mario it looks great glad it's preordered, will be buying SMB2 also so I didn't look at it that was about the time the little girl came up and kicked me in the shin so she could play.
Old 08-14-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Edison
Hmmm. I seen the new demo disk today at EB and whats the first thing I play? Beach Spikers great graphics, still trying to decide if the controls were sluggish although it could have been the camera angle, it sucked at times. When you win a match the girls hug, hmm... maybe I should wait for DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball.

I also played a bit of Super Mario it looks great glad it's preordered, will be buying SMB2 also so I didn't look at it that was about the time the little girl came up and kicked me in the shin so she could play.

I almost did that to some of the people in the Nintendo booth and E3.
Old 08-14-02, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Star Fox was boring. Mario was good, same gameplay as Mario 64 as everyone has said. Metroid Prime was blah...I liked Goldeneye more than Perfect Dark so maybe that's why.