Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live and ISDN

Old 08-12-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox Live and ISDN

I doubt this is an issue for anyone but me, but I've been wondering if Xbox Live would work with my 128k ISDN connection. Initially, Microsoft said 64k up and down would be fine. I never really believed that and lately I've been hearing that some people are being told by Xbox support that it's now 256 down and 128 up.

I decided to email Xbox support and ask. The reply doesn't make me think I'm going to be able to use Xbox Live, but it also doesn't make me think the guy who replied truly knows:

Thank you for writing to Xbox about Xbox Live.

You need to have a broadband (high-speed) Internet connection (DSL or Cable) to use Xbox Live. We've made this decision to deliver a significantly better gaming experience than can be achieved over dial-up.
Note:
Because most satellite broadband connections do not meet the bandwidth requirements for Xbox Live, they are currently not supported.
Due to latency issues with many wireless networking solutions, wireless connections to Xbox Live are not currently supported.

If you have other Xbox concerns, please feel free to write back.
That seems like a standard answer that doesn't really address ISDN. What do they call 'broadband'? I'm sure they get lots of "I connect at 115,000 with my 56k modem, it'll work right?" emails.

I get pings of around 100 ms, so I was hopeful. Maybe not though.
Old 08-12-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
No, it will not work with ISDN.
Old 08-12-02, 05:13 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Doesn't ISDN use a telephone jack connection?

How would you change it over to a Cat 5 cable? (The connection for the XBox.)

Last edited by Flay; 08-12-02 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-12-02, 05:35 PM
Shawn

So does the email mean that if you have a wireless router set up, you can't use Xbox live?
Old 08-12-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DSL works through phone lines as well, but obviously that'll work with XBox Live. The technology is very different, but from a network point of view, there really shouldn't be anything preventing someone from using ISDN.

For the most part, online games actually don't need that much bandwidth. There are lots of PC gamers enjoying all kinds of online games at 36K up, 56K down. The real limiting factor's will be bandwidth for the voice functionality and overall latency. If they're targeting "cell phone" quality voice communications, I'd guess the bitrate for that wouldn't be more than 32 Kbps so that shouldn't be a killer.

Theoretically, I don't see any reason why ISDN wouldn't work unless your connection to Microsoft's servers has too high of a latency. But, you probably aren't much more likely to encounter that problem than people with DSL/Cable/T1 lines.
Old 08-12-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because most satellite broadband connections do not meet the bandwidth requirements for Xbox Live, they are currently not supported.
I bet that sucks for a lot of people.
Old 08-12-02, 06:37 PM
Shawn

Yes, it does, but it makes the online gaming experience better for those with cable/dsl. Microsoft wont lose as much money by not letting satellite users play online than they are losing by not letting 56k user play online, but that makes cable/dsl user happier.
Old 08-12-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are there enough people with cable and DSL for this to work though? First off, DSL is going down the crapper. I had a DSL connection 2 years ago and 3 of my providers went out of business in one year. Cable companies have a lot of problems now too so I'm not so sure the spread of cable internet will continue at a reasonable pace. I think satellite internet is the best choice for a lot of people but that won't work with XBL. I don't know. I never thought XBL would be a success but now I'm beginning to think it will be an even bigger failure.
Old 08-12-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kellehair
First off, DSL is going down the crapper. I had a DSL connection 2 years ago and 3 of my providers went out of business in one year.
Where in Jersey are you? Verizon is doing alot of business here. They have my DSL line and its never been down.
Old 08-12-02, 07:18 PM
Shawn

Are there enough people with cable and DSL for this to work though? First off, DSL is going down the crapper. I had a DSL connection 2 years ago and 3 of my providers went out of business in one year. Cable companies have a lot of problems now too so I'm not so sure the spread of cable internet will continue at a reasonable pace. I think satellite internet is the best choice for a lot of people but that won't work with XBL. I don't know. I never thought XBL would be a success but now I'm beginning to think it will be an even bigger failure.
Wait a minute, you think something Microsoft is doing is bad?!? Whoa, I didn't see that coming. Listen, contrary to what a lot of people think, Microsoft is not going to discontinue the Xbox because XBL isn't doing well. Didn't they say they didn't expect that many people to be using XBL during teh first year? What do you mean cable companies are having a lot of problems? I have cable and it works perfectly(*knocks on wood*).
Old 08-12-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think satellite internet is the best choice for a lot of people but that won't work with XBL.
Seriously, are you in the pine barrens or something?
Old 08-12-02, 07:32 PM
Shawn

No, he just hates Microsoft.
Old 08-12-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know but satellite is niche and dial up is dead. Dial up is for your grammas AOL account.

"Satellite internet is the best choice"???? What the...
Old 08-12-02, 07:43 PM
Shawn

Now, I'm one of the biggest Microsoft-lovers on this board, but even I know that dial-up is definitely not dead. Microsoft is losing out of the majority of the online market by not supporting 56k, but what they are trying to do is convince people to get broadband. I know that if 56k users were playing against me, I probably would not get XBL because of the lag. I do agree with you, though, that satellite internet is definitely not the "best choice" for XBL.
Old 08-12-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where in Jersey are you? Verizon is doing alot of business here. They have my DSL line and its never been down.
This was when I was at Lehigh in PA.

Listen, contrary to what a lot of people think, Microsoft is not going to discontinue the Xbox because XBL isn't doing well.
I never said Microsoft would discontinue the Xbox if XBL did bad. I was just saying I think XBL would do bad.

What do you mean cable companies are having a lot of problems?
Adelphia's gone. Cablevision is tanking and so is AOL-Time Warner. The government is forcing an upgrade to digital cable and that is costing cable companies billions and billions of dollars. Things are not good in cable land. I don't really know which side of this fence I sit on. I hate Cablevision for not carrying the Yankees but I love them for their mad crazy fast Optimum Online.

Seriously, are you in the pine barrens or something?
Nope. A lot of Americans live outside of cities though. Cable or DSL is not an option for a lot of people. That's just the way it is.

Dial up is for your grammas AOL account.
No argument there. Online gaming practically requires broadband and I think it was kinda smart of Microsoft to go broadband only. I just think they are like a decade ahead of themselves though. Broadband just isn't mainstream yet. Not even close.

Microsoft is losing out of the majority of the online market by not supporting 56k, but what they are trying to do is convince people to get broadband.
Broadband is not an option for the vast majority of Americans. That's basically my whole point.
Old 08-12-02, 10:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

Satellite internet
Old 08-12-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Don't cry over the cable companies. They screwed themselves over, constantly stalling on any upgrades, and they allowed satellite to take over a decent sized marketshare. Plus they get revenue back by upgrading their systems, so don't think everything they do is out of pocket. If they didn't spend their time ripping off customers they wouldn't be in this mess. Nevertheless I love my cable modem and do have cable tv through Comcast so what do I know?
Old 08-12-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do not cry for the cable companies. Things do look bleak for them though. And since a cable internet connection is practically required for XBL, things look bleak for it as well.
Old 08-12-02, 11:14 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

And since a cable internet connection is practically required for XBL, things look bleak for it as well.
So you are saying, 1.9 million people = a bleak outlook for XL.

Learn something new every day.
Old 08-12-02, 11:33 PM
Banned

Kellehair, what are you proposing.. that the cable companies are going to go out of business leaving us with no cable nor broadband?

Only an idiot would think that.. So I know you dont.. Wink wink.

A company can have bad profits, or problems, and they still continue... Thats how business works, ups and downs.. theoretically.. and this economy runs on technology hitting the masses.. So cable internet will not go down, but only gain more people.

I care if it doesnt include satellite or 56k users.. oh wait.. no i dont..

And of course it wouldnt use satellite, this is nothing new.. the upstream on satellite is horrible.
Old 08-12-02, 11:34 PM
Shawn

I never said Microsoft would discontinue the Xbox if XBL did bad. I was just saying I think XBL would do bad.
If you look at what I said, "a lot of people" does not necessarily include you.
Old 08-12-02, 11:35 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by YujiNaka
... So cable internet will not go down, but only gain more people.
Agreed.
Old 08-12-02, 11:37 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Flay

So you are saying, 1.9 million people = a bleak outlook for XL.

Learn something new every day.
And, Microsoft knows they aren't going to get all 1.9 million people...I remember reading they expected about 150,000 people in the first year, can anyone confirm or deny that?
Old 08-13-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by YujiNaka
the cable companies are going to go out of business leaving us with no cable nor broadband?
Yep. Aint no way that new fangled broadbanner thingy gonna work. Ima stick to my dixie cups and string.
Old 08-13-02, 12:11 AM
Shawn

Originally posted by joltaddict

Yep. Aint no way that new fangled broadbanner thingy gonna work. Ima stick to my dixie cups and string.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.