Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm looking for sailors. Do you know where I can find some sailors around here?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-11-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

This thread should serve dual function as a Shenmue appreciation thread and a goofy game quote thread...

First of all... I'm about day 4 or 5 into Shenmue and so far I'm fairly impressed. I got really sick of him asking everyone where sailors hang out, but now he's asking everyone where Charlie is even though I already know where he is - he's in the video arcade dammit, but he won't talk to me. I'll figure it out on my own... Anyway - so anyone who's played this game should recognize the quote in the thread title (unless a mod changes it or something - which wouldn't be as fun)... My biggest beef with this game is probably the controls. I don't like how the movement is handled with the D-pad. It's too stiff. Is the sequel coming to Xbox or PS2 or both? I'd really like to play it on the Xbox - I think the controls would be perfect. I was also happier when the fighting was just playing simon says with the buttons, but now that I've trained I have to fight for myself. My favorite part of the game has to be being able to play the arcade versions of Space Harrier and Hang On. Totally dope... Space Harrier was my favorite game in the arcades for the longest time. So what are your favorite Shenmue moments? (I'd say use spoiler tags if the moment is late in the game and pertains to the story).

Function number 2 - what other dopey quotes can you remember from other video games? Aside from All Your Base Are Belong To Us and all the quotes from that game... does anything else stick out in your mind? How about the La Le Lu Le Lo being mentioned every 2 seconds in Metal Gear Solid 2? Didn't that just start to sound rediculous after awhile?
Old 08-11-02, 11:11 PM
Shawn

I'm like 99.99999% sure the sequel is Xbox-exclusive, although it was released in Europe (and Japan?) on the Dreamcast.
Old 08-12-02, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet... then it should be good.
Old 08-12-02, 12:17 AM
Shawn

Gamespot impressions: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...023276,00.html
Old 08-12-02, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've played through the Dreamcast version of chapter two, and it's much improved over the first chapter. You will be pleasantly surprised at the changes, and the story is more involving.

If you really want to know the whole story, play through chapter one. Otherwise, a summary movie can be played at the start of chapter two.
Old 08-12-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by happypants
I've played through the Dreamcast version of chapter two, and it's much improved over the first chapter. You will be pleasantly surprised at the changes, and the story is more involving.

If you really want to know the whole story, play through chapter one. Otherwise, a summary movie can be played at the start of chapter two.
Ditto.
Old 08-12-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew I was going to play through this whole game once I heard this conversation:
Ryo: Do you remember that day?
Chick: That day?
Ryo: Yes, that day.
Chick: That day when it snowed?
Ryo: Yes, when it snowed that day, do you remember?

It also cracked me up that the Ryo's boss at the stockyards was this American black dude who was kind of tough looking, but he would start every workday with a race with little toys for prizes.
Old 08-12-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shenmue 2 is suppose to be an xbox exclusive. but with the way exclusives go nowadays, who knows for how long.
Shenmue 1 in the beginning is quite repetive. i got tired of asking peeps the same questions. once u get to the 2nd disc the fun starts. shenmue 2 (currently available on the dreamcast in Japan and Europe) is much better. more people, more action, more things to do.
the xbox version is pretty much a port. the graphics improved, but story and gameplay is the same as its dreamcast counter part.
it was at e3 and the control scheme was the same. movement by d-pad and analog to look around.
Old 08-12-02, 03:08 PM

Funny Quote:

Halo:
"I dont care if this thing is God's own Anti-Sunovabich Machine, we got a job to do marines!" -Sarge
(anything else Sarge says can go up here too)
Old 08-12-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh - so that biker dude with the mullet wasn't charlie... that explains it.
Old 08-12-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by squidget
Shenmue 2 is suppose to be an xbox exclusive. but with the way exclusives go nowadays, who knows for how long.
This will be an exclusive forever since Microsoft is the one actually publishing it and not Sega. I believe MS owns the rights to Shenmue 2 and possibly the rest of the series (not a known fact yet of course)
Old 08-12-02, 05:40 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by BrinStar
Funny Quote:

Halo:
"I dont care if this thing is God's own Anti-Sunovabich Machine, we got a job to do marines!" -Sarge
(anything else Sarge says can go up here too)
I don't seem to remember that line...when is it? My favorite quote is from "The Silent Cartographer" when the lady who is dropping the Warthog says "You know our motto, we deliver. "