Reload this Page >

Which to buy, X-box or Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-10-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, quick question, hopefully you guys can be civil to one another while answering

My next door neighbor has a PS/2 I can borrow at any time, so I've decided to buy either an X-Box or a Gamecube so that we can do temporary swaps every now and then.

I'm leaning towards the X-Box I think. I'm 29 years old, and although I still love to play Mario Bros. I'm guessing that the X-Box would have more games tailored for older gamers as opposed to Nintendo. Is that a pretty accurate assumption?
Old 08-10-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My opinion(as others will have different views on this)......for me, the only good titles worth messing with are the remade version of Resident Evil and the upcoming RE0. The only reason I purchased the Gamecube was due to the price reduction and the Resident Evil series. If you are not a Resident Evil fan....go with the Xbox.
Old 08-10-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your best bet is to look at Flay's 2 "sticky threads" at the top of this forum and see which consoles has more games you want coming out.

This thread will prolly be closed as there are MANY others like it!

Old 08-10-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This threads going to be locked, but anyway. All you have to do is look at the games out now and coming soon. Pick the console with the most games you will play.
Old 08-10-02, 04:07 PM
Banned

It's always about the games, of course. Look at which consoles have the exclusive titles you want and go from there. If you want the Mario's and Zelda's go with the Cube, and if you want the Halo's and such go with XBOX.

Either way you won't go wrong. And don't like age decide...I'm 20 and lovin' the Cube
Old 08-10-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is something that I recently had to ponder myself and I chose XBOX. I have played around, while briefly, with the Gamecube.

My thoughts:

1. XBOX has an internal hard drive and one that offers a remarkable amount of storage space, making the purchase of memory cards (although there are memory cards for the 'Box available) essentially unnecessary.

2. XBOX users can copy music CDs to the system's internal hard drive and play them on certain games (Aggressive Inline is a recent example).

3. XBOX does have stronger graphics capability. While some game designers may not use the system to the fullest extent, it can be really amazing when a game is developed with imagination and skill (see "Halo")

4. XBOX currently has more games (than GC). Whether or not the games available for the system appeal to you is something that you must decide. Personally, it seems like the XBOX has an awful lot of sports games (some of them quite excellent), but could use a few more action FPS along the lines of "Halo".

5. On the opposite point, GC does have some strong titles about to be released and seems to have games that are aimed at more adult audiences in development. Time will tell if their selection of games expands rapidly or not. Both have fairly different selections of games - as I said before, you should visit a store and look at both sections to see what kind of games both offer and what will appeal to you more.

Personally, I am very pleased with my selection of XBOX, but I am very willing to admit that both systems have their positives and that Gamecube is certainly a system with a lot of potential, as well.
Old 08-10-02, 05:16 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Xbox
Old 08-10-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamecube.
Old 08-10-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here's an idea... make your own decision....
Old 08-10-02, 06:41 PM

Flip a coin,

heads gamecube and tails Xbox
Old 08-10-02, 06:57 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Try not to buy them both. If you do, don't leave those horny consoles in the same room.

I made the mistake of leaving them together for 1 night and when I came back I found one of these:

I pluged it in and it just sits there humming an offkey mixture of Halo and Mario Sunshine theme music. It's freaking me out, man!

Also, never watch the consoles mate. It will scar you for life. Plus if the PS2 catches you sneaking a peak, it will go GTA3 on your arse.

Last edited by Flay; 08-10-02 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-10-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gamecube has a very strong line up of games this fall.
Old 08-10-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
whatever one has the games you want

for me it might be the Gamecube for you it might be the Xbox.

of course if your friend leaves you then will have to decide which one to get next the PS2 or the ...
Old 08-10-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-10-02, 11:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*beats head against keyboard*

Didn't I close one of these yesterday, too?

Please do a search and you'll find many, MANY opinions on this subject. Closing thread.