Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City managers are jerks (kinda long, but I must rant)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Circuit City managers are jerks (kinda long, but I must rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Circuit City managers are pricks (kinda long, but I must rant)

I used to defend all the CC bashing here, but I finally see the light. I went in today to pricematch Soul Reaver for $9.99 with their 110% guarantee. It was $29.99, but Fry's had it for $9.99. So, that would mean it would be $7.99.

So I bring the game and the ad up to the counter and the guy rings it up and i tell him i want to pricematch it. okay, he has to get a supervisors approval. that's cool, i can understand. So the supervisor comes and looks at the ad and says "no." Just a flat out no with no explanation whatsoever. So I ask why. He tells me that's a "special 1 day sale". I say "ok, but today is that 1 day." He still denies me my pricematch. What's ironic is that he was standing in front of a HUGE (like 10 feet tall) poster that says "we will GLADLY pricematch any local competitor and give an extra 10% of the difference". So i tell him to turn around and read his own damn sign. He tells me to hold on and goes and talks to the store manager. He then comes back and says "OK we'll do it this time".

So he rings it up and it came up to like $10.74 with tax. I said "NO $7.99 + tax" He then refuses again. He said that the 110% guarantee only counts if I bought the item, then see it later on for less in an ad. I told him "fine, ring it up at $29.99 and then I'll show you my receipt and this ad if you want". This puzzled him of course, because it was just as dumb as his explanation. He then tells me to "either take the $9.99 price right now or go spend extra gas money driving all the way to Fry's." Now I was pissed. I flat out said, "this is such ********" and I want what's advertised". He then tells me to hold on and goes into the back. The guy that was ringing me up said that these need to be in stock at Fry's for a PM so he has to call. I was fine with that, so he made the call. He confirmed that it was $9.99 and they had some in stock. Less than 60 seconds later the store manager comes back and says "I just called Fry's and they are all out so take the $9.99 or leave it."

I was now about to set this place on fire. I can't believe he flat-out lied to my face. Now, I'm 21, have braces so I can look 16 to some people and I know he was only doing this because he thought I was some punk kid just coming in for the game. I tell him I'll be back in 1 minute. I walk out to my car and get my receipts. I had just purchased a car alarm for $400 and almost $2000 in car stereo equpment for my new 2003 Cobra. I said "I want all my goddamn money back and while you're at it, pull up my account and see how much I have spent here in just the last year." I have done the same thing to my previous 3 cars, purchased a big screen TV and I go there EVERY Tuesday and have spent $100-200 in new CDs/DVDs/Video games since 1999. (they always ask for my phone # so it's all right there.) So the jerk finally realizes that I've spent well over $10,000 already there.

Now the old mofo finally agrees and takes the $2 off. I should have said give this to me free now for all the BS you put me through or I will return everything and take my business to Best Buy/Fry's from now on. It took me over an hour to purchase this video game.

Grrrrr, I want to write to their office I'm so mad, but from reading other posts it doesn't sound like it will do much. Thanks for reading this I feel better now.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 08-10-02 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-10-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would forward this e-mail to them....
Old 08-10-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Edited the thread title.

Not censorship so much as sensitivity to those of us who surf from public or semi-public places and don't need the word "prick" in bold letters on our screen.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 08-10-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a good example of why I don't like price-matching, as a general rule.

In your shoes, I would simply have gotten the $9.99 game from Fry's -- and rewarded them with your business for having a good sale.

Instead, you rewarded the slimeball Circuit City with your money. Sure, you eventually got it for $2 less, but at the cost of your time and frustration -- and by cutting out the store who would have given you the product at a good price without a single hassle.

I can see doing a price-match if you buy something and later on see that it was lower somewhere else; but when I'm making the decision where to buy something, I'll always vote with my wallet and directly reward the store with the best deal and least hassle.
Old 08-10-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have, but it would have cost me at least $6 in gas plus 30 minutes in bumper to bumber 100 degree weather. theres only one frys here and its not that close
Old 08-10-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
PM are always tough to get so I just get stuff from the place that will sell them cheaper. Ya shoulda just gotten it from Fry;s.
Old 08-11-02, 12:21 AM

I totally know how you feel. This might've been 6 months ago but I tried to price-match some item and the clerk said that they don't even have the 110%, just 100%, there was no posters to prove it so I thought it was over. And before that even when I was finally get CC to price match they would never give me the extra 10%, I had to raise a little hell to get it.
Old 08-11-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
I would have, but it would have cost me at least $6 in gas plus 30 minutes in bumper to bumber 100 degree weather. theres only one frys here and its not that close
I know how you feel. I live the same distance from that very same Frys
Old 08-11-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that PM policy well. It does suck on 1 day specials or when the retailer offering the price is sold out. To me, them is the brakes. However, you got the game at a $20 savings whereas if you went to Fry's (or if the manager had called Fry's to see if it was in stock before telling you no) you wouldn't have the game for that price at all.

As for the "prick" reference you should have used "cock", then stevevt might have let it "slide." {Sorry, couldn't resist. }
Old 08-11-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1 day policy or not, BB always does pricematches. I love PM'ing there; kinda gives me the feeling of screwing them over too.
Old 08-11-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ordway
This is a good example of why I don't like price-matching, as a general rule.

In your shoes, I would simply have gotten the $9.99 game from Fry's -- and rewarded them with your business for having a good sale.

I'll always vote with my wallet and directly reward the store with the best deal and least hassle.
That's my philosophy on pricematching too. I reward the store with the sale, it takes less time, energy and hassle to do that than to try to bend the will of another store to lower their prices.
Old 08-11-02, 06:28 PM

I would forward this e-mail to them....
I have to agree, sort of. I'd write a letter to the corporate office, detailing the events in a more professional manner. I only say this because
A. You're obviously a somewhat mature, intelligent person who has the ability to write clearly.
B. You were in the right; they were wrong.
C. You were treated like **** by the manager.

I'd say you have a 90% change of being ignored, but they should know how awfully a good customer was treated.
Old 08-11-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i would have went to frys but driving that far in this heat/traffic when CC is across the street plus with 110$ guarantee it is cheaper. Would have cost me almost $20 with tax and gas from frys. also ive been going there for years w/o a hassle.
Old 08-11-02, 06:36 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a similar experience at Best Buy. A jerk manager wouldn't give me the extra 10% on the difference for a PM, because I had to have purchased it first. "Fine, I paid the regular price first and the do the PM". He said it's silly and he wouldn't do it. I took the DVD to the checkout, paid it and walked out. Half an hour later after I did other shopping in the neighborhood, I walked back it with my receipt and PM with another CSR. She looked at the ad and gave me the 110% difference.
Old 08-11-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eau
I had a similar experience at Best Buy. A jerk manager wouldn't give me the extra 10% on the difference for a PM, because I had to have purchased it first. "Fine, I paid the regular price first and the do the PM". He said it's silly and he wouldn't do it. I took the DVD to the checkout, paid it and walked out. Half an hour later after I did other shopping in the neighborhood, I walked back it with my receipt and PM with another CSR. She looked at the ad and gave me the 110% difference.
What you shoudl have done was take the item to cash register (in plain view of the manager), paid for it full price and then walked over to the customer service desk.
Old 08-12-02, 08:12 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
well i would have went to frys but driving that far in this heat/traffic when CC is across the street plus with 110$ guarantee it is cheaper. Would have cost me almost $20 with tax and gas from frys. also ive been going there for years w/o a hassle.
Did you go to the CC near Sunrise Mall?? I swear they have the stupidest people working there...it's not even funny.
Old 08-13-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've said this once(really 1000 times) and I'll say it again.

Pricematching is a ploy, a scam , a fraud, etc etc etc. They only way I ever pricematch is if I call the store ahead of time and talk to the floor manager and verify with him. Then I check availability at the other store to make sure they have it in stock. While doing this I write down everyone's name. It's always worked by doing it this way. The only reason I pricematch is because it is more convenient then driving through hell, aka traffic, and then I get a better price. But the moral of the story here is always call ahead and remember names. Otherwise they try every flippin lame excuse you can imagine and when that doesn't work they flat out lie to your face which is about the dumbest thing any retailer could do.
Old 08-13-02, 10:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
While you were 100% in the right, I don't understand why somebody driving a 2003 Cobra with $2000 worth of stereo equipment would get so worked up over a measly $2.
Old 08-13-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

boy..that manager sounds like a prick
Old 08-13-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shawn

Did you go to the CC near Sunrise Mall?? I swear they have the stupidest people working there...it's not even funny.
yea