Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Definitive Technology Speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-02, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very interested in pikcing up an entire set of Definitive Technology Speakers. I was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge on places to buy them from for a good price. I am specifically looking to start with a pair of BP2006Tl's. Any information would be great and very helpful.

Thanks
BBHTguy
Old 08-09-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using Def Techs for quite some time now (BP2002TL's, CLR/2500, BPX's) and I love them. The bipolar sound isn't for everyone, but I doubt I would ever go back to direct radiators for HT sound.
Also, be warned that you are highly unlikely to find Def Techs online, and most A/V shops run pretty close to MSRP. That being said, find a dealer you can trust, give the speakers a good audtition and see what kind of deal you can get. A/V stores like repeat customers and the more you shop (and buy, of course) the friendlier they will become.
Good luck.
Old 08-10-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What kind of price range are they in?

-pedagogue
Old 08-10-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My understanding you can only pick them up at a local dealer or no warranty!! No online purchases.
Old 08-10-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the BP 2004's as my mains, plus a large center and the XP1.2's for surrounds. i like the surrounds because they came in white. You can check out some pictures in my sig but my surrounds are now white and are hung behind me. The speakers diffuse the rear sound but clarity is good.
Old 08-10-02, 07:09 PM

Thank you

Thank you for all of the replys. I think that Magnolia Hi-Fi carries the speakers and I have heard that they are opening a store up in my area soon. I am hoping that they might have some speical Grand Opening promotion or something.

Thanks
BBHTguy
Old 08-14-02, 12:45 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Def Tech's Dealer Locator
Old 08-16-02, 08:02 PM

I use them and love them. For the price, they are a great value. If you do more music listening, I personally suggest thier direct radiating. But if its 50-50 or more towards HT, the bipolars are awesome.
Old 08-17-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can help, email me if you like.
Old 09-18-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Just looking for some opinions from you guys that own DT powered speakers. I just bought two BP2004TL, one C/L/R 2500, & two BP2X.

My questions are: 1. Do you have the subs firing toward the TV or away from the TV?

2. How many inches to you keep the sub side from the TV/wall and the other side from the TV/wall?

The dealer I bought them from said that it is suggested that the subs fire inward toward the TV & that the speaker be a bare minimum of 5 inches from the TV. He said that since the subs are facing the TV, the other side could be right next to the wall if it had to be. What are your thought/opinions? Thanks.
Old 09-18-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Just looking for some opinions from you guys that own DT powered speakers. I just bought two BP2004TL, one C/L/R 2500, & two BP2X.

My questions are: 1. Do you have the subs firing toward the TV or away from the TV?

2. How many inches to you keep the sub side from the TV/wall and the other side from the TV/wall?

The dealer I bought them from said that it is suggested that the subs fire inward toward the TV & that the speaker be a bare minimum of 5 inches from the TV. He said that since the subs are facing the TV, the other side could be right next to the wall if it had to be. What are your thought/opinions? Thanks.
1) Away from my tv.

2) My mains (BP2002TL) are about 3 feet from the sidewall, and approx. 8 feet apart.

I wouldn't recommend firing the subs inward at all. The woofs need room to breath, and although below a certain point bass is omnidirectional, anything around 50hz and above (or thereabouts) is certainly directional, and firing them toward the tv is going to add unnecessary reflections. My opinion: face them outward and away from the side walls. Very important: give them room in the back too! The bipolar design is crtitical to having room behind the mains as well.

About your dealer...if your speakers are 5 inches away from the tv, and right next to a wall, that room must be real small
Seriously, opinions differ greatly on speaker placement, but for what's it's worth Def Tech suggests experimentation with the inward/outward placement.
Old 09-18-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the response. The room is not too tiny but the TV & speakers are kind of in a nook. It is a small room though (its about 10 feet by 15. It is not completely enclosed though. (it opens out into 2 other rooms) What really takes up the room is the TV. It is a 65 inch with a matching component holder that is 2 feet wide as well. Throw in the 2 speakers & there is not a ton of room between them & the walls of the nook.

I just didn't want to go thru the pain of hooking them all up & then finding out that the woofers should fire outward instead of inward. I was quite surprised when the dealer kept saying that they are meant to fire inward towards the TV. I asked him about it so much that I think I kinda bugged him. But I really wanted a definitive answer.

Did you try it both ways or were you told right off to fire them outwards? Also, my dimensions for the speakers will be, if faced outwards, 1 1/2 inches from the TV/component holder & 9 inches from the walls on both sides. Does that sound adequate?

ADDED: Also, how far do you suggest from the back of the wall. I have them out about the lenth of the TV which is approx 3 feet.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 09-18-02 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-18-02, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

I would have said the same but we have done some test in designing down firing subs and found that there is very little change even down to a few inches. I would say you will be fine with 5".

I have Infinity Overture 1 with side firing powered 8" and I have about 10" clearance and the woofers firing outward.
Old 09-18-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you try it both ways or were you told right off to fire them outwards? Also, my dimensions for the speakers will be, if faced outwards, 1 1/2 inches from the TV/component holder & 9 inches from the walls on both sides. Does that sound adequate?

ADDED: Also, how far do you suggest from the back of the wall. I have them out about the lenth of the TV which is approx 3 feet.
I only tried it firing outward due to my set-up, which has the mains each side of my 61" RPTV which also has component cabinents on each side of that (hence the 8 feet spacing). The speakers are only a few inches away from the cabinets and I didn't feel that having the woof fire directly into a solid piece of oak would appeal to me. It's not exactly open air in between the speakers and the side walls, as an Acoustic Research ARS500 sits beside each speaker, but I feel it has alot more room then being directly against the cabinets.
My mains are about 3 feet or so from the rear wall, sticking out ever so slightly in front of the screen.

Hope you enjoy the Def Techs. They are wonderful speakers, but might take some adjustment if you aren't used to the bipolar sound.
Old 09-18-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the responses guys. I am new to some of this so I want to have it all done the best way.

Do ya'll also have the powered center speaker. I was reading it's instruction manual & there are several ways to hook it up. The dealer just said to hook it up like a normal center but I am intrigued by the Bi-wiring & Tri-wiring. Have anyone of you tried these other ways. Mine has a low, mid, & high section. It also shows a way to use the full range low level input which completely confused me. Any opinions/comments on this?

Also, if you just hook it up as normal to the low section or bi-wire it to the mid & high, is the built-in sub still working or does it only work when you do this full-range low level thing? Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the responses.
Old 09-19-02, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Hook up your center a full range and set to large in the reciever.

Bi wiring is mainly so that you could used a powerful amp for the bass section and then a clean (maybe tube) amp for the highs.

In home theater there is really no need for by wiring but it is a marketing thing that has hung around from stereo.
Old 09-19-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
Hook up your center a full range and set to large in the reciever.

Bi wiring is mainly so that you could used a powerful amp for the bass section and then a clean (maybe tube) amp for the highs.

In home theater there is really no need for by wiring but it is a marketing thing that has hung around from stereo.
You're confusing bi-wiring with bi-amping.

My mains are bi-wired, and I'll get into the details later, but right now I've got a party to go to and much alcohol to consume.

Later.
Old 09-19-02, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
You're confusing bi-wiring with bi-amping.

My mains are bi-wired, and I'll get into the details later, but right now I've got a party to go to and much alcohol to consume.

Later.
No need

I would love to hear your views on the perfomance difference.
Old 09-19-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bfrank
No need

I would love to hear your views on the perfomance difference.
You've already stated your opinion on the matter, as you feel sonic improvement due to bi-wiring is a myth, so my feelings on the subject is moot.
I just wondered since you were speaker designer, you were going to admit you didn't know the difference between bi-amping and bi-wiring a loudspeaker
Old 09-20-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright...thanks guys as now I am more confused.

Really though, I just want to know the best way to hook my center up. They give the different ways in the manual but it appears that some of those ways require a pre-amp(?).

I have a Denon 1803 receiver. Should I go with normal wiring just to the low secion or bi-wiring to the mid & high sections? Should I look into a pre-amp? Does the sub on the center channel work no matter how you wire it? Thanks.
Old 09-20-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright...thanks guys as now I am more confused.

Really though, I just want to know the best way to hook my center up. They give the different ways in the manual but it appears that some of those ways require a pre-amp(?).

I have a Denon 1803 receiver. Should I go with normal wiring just to the low secion or bi-wiring to the mid & high sections? Should I look into a pre-amp? Does the sub on the center channel work no matter how you wire it? Thanks.
Let me preface this by saying this is my opinion, and anyone can feel free to agree or disagree. My opinion is based upon trial and error, and real world experience in my HT. YMMV.

I find that Def Techs (and any quality loudspeakers, for that matter) need a good power amp to reveal any subtle (or not-so-subtle) differences in any tweaks such as bi-wiring or bi-amping (or tri-wiring in the case of the Def Techs).
For the purpose of this thread, we'll stick to bi-wiring.

Since your using the Denon, I'd recommend just leaving all the jumpers in place and wiring them as normal. Don't worry about the LFE inputs for now. Since your leaving the jumpers in place, it doesn't matter if you connect to the low, mid or high terminals.
Not sure if the Denon has pre-outs or not, but if so, you might want to invest in a good power amp down the road. The more power you have, the more revealing the Def Techs can be, and give you more flexibilty for connections and wiring possibilities.

Last edited by DVD_O_Rama; 09-20-02 at 04:36 PM.