Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the rarest games for each system?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-09-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Power Stone 2, and Wacky Racers for the DC which seem sorta rare but nothing like some other things I have seen. I heard some game called "World Championship" is the rarest Nintendo game and I saw it on ebay for $10,000 but that is nuts. What are some other rare games out there.
Old 08-09-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
PS2 - Rez is kinda hard to find
Xbox - Airforce Delta Storm was discontinued and nobody seems to know why, so a-holes try to sell it for 70 bucks on half.com.
GCN - nothing rare except the developer
Old 08-09-02, 07:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
GCN - nothing rare except the developer
And even then it's Rare that they deliver games on time!
Old 08-09-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Saturn

E.T. for the 2600
Old 08-09-02, 08:37 AM

Saturn- Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun

SNES- Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, EarthBound
Old 08-09-02, 08:59 AM

E.T. for the 2600
How much does this go for?

-Dean-
Old 08-09-02, 09:03 AM

I have a copy of PSO ep 1&2 Network Trial Edition for GC. It was only sold in japan, so maybe it's sort of rare.
Old 08-09-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dean D. - Sorry, that was a joke, though not a very good one

C-Killer - Well, those SNES go for good money on eBay, but I don't think they're really rare. Their price is just inflated because they are in demand.
Old 08-09-02, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
E.T. for the 2600
Not so rare if you have a shovel and know where the landfill is!! (they dumped thousands and thousands of the E.T. carts when the 2600 died off)

Toe Jam and Earl for the Genesis is tough to find.
K.C. Munchkin for the Odyssey 2 (Atari lawsuit forced the discontinuation of this title)
Burning Rangers for the Saturn
Any of the "Super" games for the Coleco Adam.
Old 08-09-02, 09:52 AM

PS1- Intelligent Cube, Super Puzzel Fighter 2 Turbo used to be hard to get, Klonoa, wild arms 2, devil dice

PS2- Rez

SNES- Orge Battle, Secret of Mana, FFIII, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound

Genisis- Toe Jam and Earl, hmm...

Saturn- Panzer Dragoon Saga, was it Dragon Force? hmm that really cool dragon something RPG game, Shinning Force III

All i can think of for now.
Old 08-09-02, 09:57 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

NES: Bubble Bath Babes
Micro Machines 2

Atari: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

PS: Dragonball Final bout

3d0: Zelda games
Old 08-09-02, 10:09 AM

I had a feeling this was a joke, but I just had to ask. I just couldn't imagine anyone paying any money for this game.

As far as rare games go, I think I still have a completed version of Thrill Kill lying around for the PS1.

-Dean-
Old 08-09-02, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by SmackDaddy

Not so rare if you have a shovel and know where the landfill is!! (they dumped thousands and thousands of the E.T. carts when the 2600 died off)
Thought the rumor was that it was somewhere in New Mexico.
Old 08-09-02, 10:43 AM

I am a power seller of dvds and video games on EBay so this is my area. This list is by no means complete, but it gives you a good idea.

Nes- Dragon Warrior 2, 3, 4
Stadium Events
Bubble Bath Babes
Bubble Bobble 2
Final Fantasy
Hot Slots
Stack Up
Mega Man 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Contra Force
Action 52
Caltron 6-in-1
Bonk's Adventure
Cheetahmen 2
RC Pro Am 2
Tengen Tetris
+ A Number More

Sega Genesis
Pirates Gold
Toe Jam and Earl
Time Killers
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star Games

Sega Saturn
Panzer Dragoon 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force 3
Dragon Force

SNES
Final Fantasy 2, 3
Chrono Trigger
Breath of Fire II
Ogre Battle
Harvest Moon
Mega Man x2
Mega Man x3
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Castlevania Dracula X

Nintendo 64
Harvest Moon
Ogre Battle 64
Hydro Thunder 64
Starcraft 64
Paper Mario
New Tetris

Playstation
Risk
Breath of Fire 3
Intelligence Cube
Bubble Bobble/ Rainbow Islands
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout
Poy Poy
Suikoden II
Einhander
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Anthology

Atari Jaguar
Aliens vs. Predator

XBOX
Air Force Delta Storm

Really nothing on Playstation 2 or Gamecube
Old 08-09-02, 11:01 AM

I think some of the rarest are:

Dungeon Explorer II
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood

On the TurboDuo.
Old 08-09-02, 11:40 AM

I think some of you guys don't realize how common some of those games are. Most of the stuff listed isn't rare. In fact it's possible that some of the rare and valuable games are games you've never even heard of.

Rare games are like

Shining Force 3 - Premium Disc (not sold, only available in Japan)
International Superstar Soccer - SNES (limited print, didn't come out in the US)
Panorama Cotton - Mega Drive
Fire Emblem 667 - Super Famicom (Retail Box Version)
Elemental Gearbolt w/ Case, Gold GunCon and Gold Memory Card (Only 50 of these made)
Radiant Silvergun - Saturn
World Championship - NES (Used in the only National Nintendo competition put on by Nintendo)
Star Fox Competition cartridge

Out of the things listed only probably the following are considered rare:

Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn US
Shining Force 3 - Saturn US
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout

john: You may be a power seller, and they may be popular items and go for a decent amount of money, but most of the games you listed are not rare and are easily obtained.
Old 08-09-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
K.C. Munchkin for the Odyssey 2 (Atari lawsuit forced the discontinuation of this title)
K.C. Munchkin is a pretty common title. Not really rare at all. They sold more of these than any of their other games at the time.

These are the rarest non-prototype Atari 2600 games:
MenAvision "Air Raid"
Xante "Alien"
Imagic "Atlantis II"
Beagle Brothers "Basketball"
Xante "Beany Bopper"
Atari "BMX Airmaster"
VidCo "Copy Cart"
Xante "Crypts of Chaos"
Xante "Demon Attack"
Romox "ECPC Cartridge"
Simage "Eli's Ladder"
Answer "Gauntlet"
Ultravision "Karate"
Beagle Brothers "Keystone Kapers"
CommaVid "Magicard"
Spectravision "Mangia"
Atari "Motorodeo"
Sparrow "Music Machine"
Xante "No Escape!"
Atari "Obelix"
Beagle Brothers "Q*bert"
Atari "Quadrun"
Xante "Solar Storm"
CommaVid "Video Life"
Old 08-09-02, 01:58 PM

This depends on your definition of rare. I consider my "off the top of my head list" a legitimate list that you really could run across at any pawn shop or flea market. Most of those games are old games that will sell for MORE than current new games. Demand EASILY outstrips supply.
I don't consider import games and non-releases part of my list (they are unique collectibles). I have heard of basically all of the games in this thread, but if you NEVER, EVER see one it doesn't matter. Sure World Championship on NES is rare, but you will never run across one at a flea market. I have bought copies of every one of the games on my list at flea markets, thrown them on Ebay, and made big profits. I fully realize that many of those games had large production runs, but they all sell for good money today, and I'll buy any of them everytime I run across them (for a good price). Surely you would consider Bonk's Adventure, Caltron 6 in 1, Action 52 and Stadium Events rare though?? In my opinion (I will admit that I look at this more from a selling standpoint) all those games are rare and very profitable under the right circumstances. Our confusion and disagreement comes from the definition of "rare". I would bet that NO SEGA CD title sold as many copies as Final Fantasy III, but Final Fantasy III is a rare and valuable SNES game in the scheme of things. Many Nes and Sega 32x or Sega CD or Jaguar games are RARE but no one wants them, so who cares?? I am interested in your response.
Old 08-09-02, 02:24 PM

Here's my list of "Rare" games I have:

Genisis:
Chakan the Forever Man (classic goodness)

PS1:
Elemental Gear Bolt (coollest little lightgun game in town)
Clocktower 1 (best survival horror E V A R)
Clocktower 2 (rarer than CT1 for damn sure)

PS2:
Rez (If its rare? I didn't know it was rare already)

Basicly the only really rare games I have are the Clocktower games and Elemental Gear Bolt. I got the only copy of those I've ever seen.
Old 08-09-02, 02:27 PM

you gotta look at circulation to define rare. Just because chrono trigger, FFII and FFIII, and secret of mana were mass produced doesn't mean that they aren't rare. They are rare because people are holding on to them and other want to purchase them so there are more people looking to buy them then there are people selling them.

The only one I have seen that I don't consider rare is breath of fire 3. But I just see a lot of those around me so it might be in some areas.
Old 08-09-02, 02:42 PM

Rare = hard to find, not many of.

Valuable = worth more due to demand

This thread is about hard to find games.
Not "Old popular games that people like so they still sell for alot".
Big difrence.
Old 08-09-02, 02:51 PM

I believe it's fair to say the whole Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series is very rare across all the platforms it has been on. It's almost ridiculous. Was it meant to be that way? They could've made tons of money, but now, half.com and ebay sellers are the ones making the money.

Even Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis GBA is rare. I still laugh when I goto some message boards and see some threads titles "Finally got Tactis Ogre!! ARGH!%$%$#"
Old 08-09-02, 02:53 PM

Brinstar- You must admit that "rare" would at the very least have to be qualified from system to system. Many games are actually rarer than Panzer Dragoon Saga, but everyone would consider that a rare game. FalconH10 is right, popular games become rare because people hold on to them and keep them. There were a ton of Harvest Moon's made for Nintendo 64, but it still sells for $60-$70 everyday. It is rare by Nintendo 64 standards. In my opinion, it all breaks down to supply vs. demand. That determines rarity.
Old 08-09-02, 03:06 PM

Nah, thats games that people like so they are highly demanded now.

A game that only had 2,000 copies when it was made is rare when it came out is even more rare now.

The games your listing are only "rare" because they are so good they are still talked about and traded. That doesn't mean they are rare, how many people here have played FF3? Thats not a rare game at all. Its definately in demand, but rare? You can get it at Electronic Boutique or Gamespot or any pawnshop in town.

Suply and Demand = price not Rarity.
Rarity affects the price also, but as you say if the game is no good then no one wants it. But its still a rare game. Low price, low demand, but rare game.

How many of you have played Clocktower?
I bet no more than 5-8 people here have played it at most.
Its a great game, a kind of Nitch game, but for its time it was great.
How much is it worth now? About $10-$25 depending on if the person selling it knows what he is selling.
Hardly NO demand for it because its RARE meaning not many know about it, meaning it CANT HAVE A DEMAND.

Get it?
Your talking about popular games that still sell. Thats the oposite of Rarity, they are so UN-Rare they are still in circulation.

If its rare and no one knows about it, then how can it be one of the most traded games of by-gone systems?
Old 08-09-02, 04:42 PM

I wouldn't use ebay as a complete measuring stick either because on ebay there are plenty of suckers. You can easily get more value out of something than it's worth due to ignorance. I mean come on, you can see auctions were people are paying more for an item than they could pay for if they went to a store or an online site. That alone shows ignorance.

Just because a game sells for a nice amount doesn't make it rare. Sure rare games can fetch a pretty penny, but that doesn't mean all valuable games are rare. What I listed are rare based on circulation, and I'd even say in demand rare games since they are games that are more well known and can fetch a pretty good price in an auction. It's harder to gauge rarity in the US because of the disogranized used market that exists here. But in Japan, it's easy to figure out what is rare and what is not as they are priced accordingly usually. But even then in Japan, popular games, although not rare, can still bring in a lot of money.

Another example is Ogre Battle on SNES was fairly a limited production run and is somewhat rare but the value on that game has dropped because of the ports. It's still rare, but it's no longer worth as much as it used to be. I used to be a sports and comic book dealer, and this would be how we would classify as something rare which really is the same way people are trying to use it here in this thread.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.