Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Paying for website access makes me so angry!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Paying for website access makes me so angry!

Old 08-08-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
F this makes me so angry!

Edited thread title for clarity - Static

I'm so mad that these websites expect you to pay for information and video and whatnot. Dirty bastards. Isn't there a site out there that is still free and has plenty of videos and media? Yes - I expect them to pay for bandwidth just to show me game video. Sigh... so which one would be better to subscribe to? IGN or Gamespot? Or is there a site that just steals all their insider garbage?

Last edited by Static Cling; 08-08-02 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-08-02, 07:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pay my 5.6 cents a day for IGN. It's pretty good for exclusives and decent for reviews. Their game guides are excellent. The boards are much better since they started charging. You will get the most up to date info.

Gamespot isn't that hot on exclusive info, but their video reviews are a great feature. I've never tried their boards, but I've heard they have been improved.

Anyway, if you have broadband and like to download tons of game footage, go for one of them. That's how you would get the most out of your 20 bucks a year.
Old 08-08-02, 07:48 PM
zig

I'm currently doing the 7-day free trial of IGN Insider. There's no way I'm going to subscribe. They have some exclusive videos, but it's not worth it. Their reviews are usually available to everyone, and the rest of their stuff is pretty useless IMO.

My main problem is the videos are rarely longer than 15 or 30 seconds, and they don't let people use download managers or resume downloads at all. That's a major disadvantage when you're on 56k.

I can get most of their videos and images on newtechnix.com, without subscribing to anything.
Old 08-08-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zig
I'm currently doing the 7-day free trial of IGN Insider. There's no way I'm going to subscribe. They have some exclusive videos, but it's not worth it. Their reviews are usually available to everyone, and the rest of their stuff is pretty useless IMO.

My main problem is the videos are rarely longer than 15 or 30 seconds, and they don't let people use download managers or resume downloads at all. That's a major disadvantage when you're on 56k.

I can get most of their videos and images on newtechnix.com, without subscribing to anything.
Yeah, I had insider for a few months and I didn't resubscribe. The reviews are ok but they're only locked for a little while. My main reason for wanting insider was for the boards - they're better but not all that much. There's still way too many idiots over there to make it worth $20.
Old 08-08-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my brother is a mod on gamespot if anyones interested.
Old 08-08-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts
Do you click on all the ads to support those sites? Or do you expect them to offer the information for free?