Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who's excited for Animal Crossing (and the E-Card Reader)?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-08-02, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Man, Im so damn excited. The game sounds awesome, and the E-Card reader is gonna be cool. Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am excited. I'll probably wait to hear some reviews and impressions before I run out and buy though.
Old 08-08-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm excited about Animal Crossing, but I don't know much about the E-card reader. Is it for Pokemon cards or something?
Old 08-08-02, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Well...yes... And no.

It lets you do certain things, play mini-games, play NES Games...
Old 08-08-02, 07:44 PM
zig

Well, I'm definitely going to be picking up AC, but the ereader.. I don't know. I mean it's a cool idea and if I had the extra cash I'd probably get it.. but.. too many other games to buy.
Old 08-08-02, 08:16 PM

I'm really looking forward to Animal Crossing. I love Harvest Moon and The Sims, so I think I'll have a lot of fun with this game. I have no interest in the e-card reader, though.
Old 08-09-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been excited for Animal Crossing ever since i first heard about them porting Animal Forest+ something like a year ago. As for the E-Card reader i'm waiting to see if they release the packs of Animal Crossing cards for it in the US and how much they are - the absolute last thing i need to do is get into collecting cards like i did Magic years ago
Old 08-23-02, 06:03 PM
Suspended

I created a website for this game... http://www.nextstopac.com
Old 08-23-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got it yesterday, and I must say that unless something different starts happening this game will wear out its welcome very quickly. All you do most of the time is run back and forth between villagers delivering items. The graphics are barely better than the N64, but you probably already knew that.

I don't see how this game can work as a renter, unless you're constantly screwing with the system clock to advance the days prematurely. It's obviously designed for long-term play. Plus the fact that it takes up an entire memory card.

On the plus side, the in game NES emulator is flawless; Excitebike (one of the one two games I've obtained so far) is exactly as I remembered it. I'll probably pick up a GBA adapter this weekend to see how well that works. At the very least, I'll be playing this game until I get Zelda.

Oh, and being able to stick a pentagram on your front door is pretty sweet as well. \m/
Old 08-24-02, 10:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
Plus the fact that it takes up an entire memory card.
I was unaware of this. How many blocks? 59 or 251?

I'm interested in Animal Crossing, but I'm not sure about the e-reader. For $40 I can get a new game or two. If I really like Animal Crossing and decide I want the extra stuff you can get via the e-reader, I'll pick one up.
Old 08-24-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The town data takes up 57 blocks, then the NES saves take up another one. So okay, I was using hyperbole, it doesn't take up the whole card.
Old 08-24-02, 10:29 AM

Glad I held onto my old 59 cards when I upgraded to the 251. Is that one block for ALL the NES saves, or one block PER NES save?
Old 08-24-02, 12:24 PM

Remember that the game comes with a memory card 59. So if you're buying the game, you don't have to worry about using up space on your existing cards. You may still be out of luck if you're just renting the game, though.
Old 08-24-02, 12:34 PM
Retired

I'm not really interested in the game. I've never cared for the sims or other open ended games of this ilk.

The E card reader has promise, but I'll wait and see how it pans out.
Old 08-24-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mezzanine
Remember that the game comes with a memory card 59. So if you're buying the game, you don't have to worry about using up space on your existing cards. You may still be out of luck if you're just renting the game, though.
I was wondering about that, it seemed almost necessary for them to include a '59' with the game. Almost definitely SOL with renting, though.

Groucho: I'll update you when I get more games. The only two I have don't allow in game saves.
Old 08-24-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there something special about the memory card that comes with Animal Crossing or can you use any 59 card?
Old 08-24-02, 01:11 PM
zig

Originally posted by darkside
Is there something special about the memory card that comes with Animal Crossing or can you use any 59 card?
You can use any memory card with 57 free blocks.
Old 08-24-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

EGM loved the game.

I'm excited about it's potential, but have yet to play it.
Old 08-24-02, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by darkside
You can use any memory card, but the one that it comes with includes a couple free NES games. You can still acquire them in the game without the included memory card, but this way you have them right from the start.
Old 08-24-02, 08:02 PM

I had forgotten that the game came with a card...glad to see they kept that feature for the U.S. version (unlike Resident Evil).
Old 08-24-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GBA link works well. The island is pretty uninteresting, but you can rack up some good loot at least. The NES emulator is slightly squished, but I barely notice it. According to IGN there is some flickering, but I guess I didn't play long enough to see that.

When I was asked what my birthday was, I told them it's tomorrow, so hopefully I'll get a good NES game for a present.
Old 08-26-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just saw Extended Play's Interview with the lead game developer , Takashi Tezuka, of Animal Crossing and I'm really interested to play this now! It definitely sounds that even though its a one player, the game is truly realized when it is played by more than one person (at separate times) over a longer period of time. Like you can visit other player's villages, exchange messages, etc.

Here's part of the interview:

"What were the first steps?

"Our initial motivation was to make a sort of low-tech 'communication game,' sort of a network game without a network, basically," says Tezuka. "The network being your friends and family. By using the memory card technology we allow the players to get on a train and travel to another village where they can experience new characters and a completely different village and geographical aspects."

How are players communicating?

"The game does have communication methods, for example letter writing or posting messages on a central message board in the middle of the village," says Tezuka. "We are finding that parents were sending letters to their children, children were sending letters to their parents or posting messages. Some of those had to do with game content, but some of those were real-life things. [We've] found that the family's were communicating and working together to make the village a better place to live."

Those sound like cool ideas. I remember when Pokemon Gold/Silver came out you could write and trade letters with other players too and we had a ton of fun doing that. My siblings and I usually end up playing games with separate save files for each person so we can play through all the game ourselves. This game will let all of us interact with each other . Don't know about the E-Card Reader, I'm not a card collector but we'll see.

Last edited by Outlaw; 08-26-02 at 01:32 AM.