Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Be careful at "Best Buy"

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Be careful at "Best Buy"

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-02, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be careful at "Best Buy"

Greetings all !

Picked up Clash of the titans at bb 2day,and saw Creepshow for
$9.99 lowest Id ever seen it,so I grabbed it - but the shrink near the bottom was kinda torn and the bottom plastic on the snapcrap was kinda scuffed and beat up looking,so I found another copy but it was 14.99.
took em all up to the reg. and told the girl I wanted the 14.99
one cause it was in better shape and it had "sticker security seals" on all 3 edges (the 9.99 did not have these) but I wanted it
for the 9.99 price.
She chkd w/whoever and came back and said someone must have returned it (9.99) and if I wanted the good 1 I would be chrgd 14.95 - I said forget it,and left w/ "COTT"

So it appears that bb re-shrinks discs that are returned (most likely rtrnd because they are defective or some such)

Plz be careful,and inspect your discs carefully-Just a heads up!

CHEERS! jefff
Old 08-08-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so why didn't you buy it, open it up and then return it if it looked bad
Old 08-08-02, 06:05 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is some shrinkwrap machine behind the customer service counter, and I have seen it in action (a girl shrinkwrapping a DVD or a game keepcase).
Old 08-08-02, 06:19 PM

it was obv.rtrnd,and I assumed it was dfctv.
Not worth the hassle of driving back to rtrn.
I like my discs and their packaging flawless-I'm one of the anal retentive guys who searches thru multiple copies,to find the best one. I'm the same way w/comics/books/magazines etc.

Help me out on this pdjennings

CHEERS! jefff
Old 08-08-02, 06:46 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As Kaze suggests, buy the $9.99 copy and rip it open...then return it for an exchange. They will have to give you a new copy which will be the good one. They will open the good one in front of you though.
Old 08-08-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know..last timei was their just browsing noticed that Vegas In Space was released on dvd by Troma..i was unaware of that.

I had rented that film months ago on video & a major Troma **** up was,it was missing the last 20 minutes of the film! 65mn into it..it just cuts off & starts rewinding..i tryed fast forwarding thinking it was just the tape screwed up & then finnaly took it out & looked at it,where it cuts off..the tape was out,black,then turns clear as it was at the very end of the tape & thus the last 20mn were missing,so i never got to see the end of the film!

So i was thinking of getting the dvd since it was only $9..but the disc was flying around inside the box & on closer inspection..the disc wrapping & everything didn't look professional & more likely re-wrapped. So i never bothered getting it..& will just wait til i find a regular edition where the dvd is in it's holder!...& I'm sure the whole film is on the dvd..it's only 85mn for christs sake..yet Troma didn't see that for the video release?

Though another thing i find strange about the dvd is a mention of a commentary by the director! Yet i've heard the director died after making the film,so what gives?
Old 08-09-02, 02:12 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

I also saw Creepshow at BBuy for $9.99 and bought it a couple of weeks ago. It had security stickers, no scratches and worked fine when I watched it so it wasn't a re-shrink like the one you were looking at apparently was.

I just checked at BestBuy.com and they showed it with a crossed out $9.99-the everyday price-and it was on sale for $8.99 and available for in-store pickup.

So one way or another you should be able to get a brand new copy for $9.99 or less.
Old 08-09-02, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a shrink wrap machine in every store. Where i used to work at it was in the back storage area.

It was a huge no-no to repackage a returned or damaged item.

But i cannot account for every store as some may not follow the rules very carefully.
Old 08-09-02, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard about these machines at the stores as well. Not really a hugh surprise here, as most of the open item (Vcr's, DVD players, etc) is generally shrinkwrapped w/out a box.

I doubt many music/movie employees waste their time shrinkwrapping a cd or movie when they get full credit just returning them to the manufacturer. Besides, you were buying a movie for 9.99. Do you expect all manufactures to use high grade shrinkwrap on all movie releases? I've noticed that some shrinkwrap is flimsy'er than others.
Old 08-09-02, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by Etrigan
I like my discs and their packaging flawless-I'm one of the anal retentive guys who searches thru multiple copies,to find the best one.
Don't feel so bad. I'm the exact same way. The employees at BB, CC, etc. must think I'm crazy when I'm looking carefully at my discs before I buy them (instead of blindly grabbing one and walking to checkout), but I've bought way too many that are sliced along the spine from someone being a little too careless with the box cutter.
Old 08-09-02, 07:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Etrigan
it was obv.rtrnd,and I assumed it was dfctv.
Would you like to buy a vowel?
Old 08-09-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Would you like to buy a vowel?
Beat me to it.
Old 08-09-02, 02:48 PM

davejt1 hit a nerve with me regarding DVD shopping, the dreaded razor cut. The first thing I check when I pick up a DVD at a store is the spine. It sucks when a DVD you really want is in perfect shape except for the cut spine. I have been checking DVD's I want to purchase closely for a year. Unfortunately, I have 2 or 3 DVD's that I bought in the past that were cut but I didn't notice it The cuts go right through the plastic and the paper sleeve. I hate that.
Old 08-10-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This would account for the fingerprints I've found on some of the discs I've bought at BB in the past I returned them every time. The BB store near me is particularly bad.........Therefore, I don't go there much anymore.
Old 08-12-02, 08:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kaze0
so why didn't you buy it, open it up and then return it if it looked bad
And wait 45 minutes in the return line?
Old 08-12-02, 12:04 PM

Media Play does the same thing...I've noticed two differently priced items and at first thought someone priced one wrong...then I noticed the security stickers missing from the cheaper copy.

I don't know about you guys, but these companies should at the very least put a "returned item" or "previously opened" sticker on the box somewhere...most people aren't as knowlegable about packaging as most of us in this forum.

For myself, I'll spend the extra few bucks to get an unopened copy...but I was the kind of guy who never bought used books in college too!