Linksys Wireless for XBOX?????

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-08-02, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
I might or might not be in the beta test for the XBOX live thing.

Here is my problem

Computer and Cable Modem is in the Basement.
XBOX and HDTV are upstairs in the Family Room.

I think the best way to get the broadband to my xbox (and still remain connected with my PC) is to get some sort of wireless configuration.

For the life of me, I cant figure out how the linksys systems work. I know they have a wireless router that plugs in too your cable modem then you can run a plug directly to your pc (non-wireless for that connection) but then how do you get it to your xbox??? What is the other piece of the puzzle that I am not seeing? There has to be some sort or wireless box with a broadband plug coming out of it that will fit in the port on the back of my XBOX !!

Can someone enlighten me ?

Thanks
Old 08-08-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im sure there is already cable run there so how hard could it be? Run some RJ cable along the coax. Gotta be easier than wireless, definitely cheaper.
Old 08-08-02, 04:39 PM

I think this is what you are looking for:
Linksys Wireless Bridge

I already have the wireless router, so I'm thinking about picking this up and switching it between my PS2 and X-Box so that I won't have to run a cord from the router to the game machines.
Old 08-08-02, 04:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wireless will increase your latency and make the Online run more sluggish, the technology just isn't on par with cable yet. My solution for my own similar problem was to get a 50 foot RJ45 cable. Remember that you can go up to 300 feet with RJ45.... Or else maybe you could just wire your house with it.
Old 08-08-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think hes gonna need a bridge just to get the signal upstairs.
Old 08-08-02, 04:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

No you definitely wouldn't need a bridge, a wireless hub works fine. Actually they are called WAPs, wireless access points. Glorified repeaters...
Old 08-08-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to play all my PC online games with a wireless connection to a DSL line. I found that it added maybe 10-20 ms on average to your latency, so it's not much to be concerned about. Unless your connection to the MS server is really borderline, like around 200 to 230ms, the additional lag from the wireless won't really make that much difference.

If your cable modem is currently hooked up directly to the computer, you can get something like the Linksys BEFW11S4. That's a router/firewall/wireless AP/4 port switch all rolled into one. You plug the cable modem into it and it'll share the cable connection to any device plugged into its 4 10/100 ports as well as any 802.11b wirless devices.

What you'll need at the XBox end of things is something like the WET11, or you may also be able to get a WAP11. The WET11 is strictly just a wireless bridge. It's fairly new and I've not yet read any reports from anyone who's been using it. The odd thing is, it' seems to be about the same price (if not more expensive) than the WAP11, which is a full blown AP.

Now, normally you wouldn't really use an AP to connect to another AP, but the WAP11 reportedly can be put into a bridge mode so that it works like the WET11. I'm about to put together a system like this for my brother-in-law, so if you want to wait a couple weeks, I can confirm that it definitely works. As it is, I can only say that it's supposed to work.

I just happened to be shopping for these items last night and it looked like Amazon had the best prices (including shipping) for the WAP11 and BEFW11S4. Plus the BEFW11S4 has a $15 MIR, so it doesn't seem like a bad deal overall.
Old 08-08-02, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mrglass
I think this is what you are looking for:
Linksys Wireless Bridge

I already have the wireless router, so I'm thinking about picking this up and switching it between my PS2 and X-Box so that I won't have to run a cord from the router to the game machines.
Actually, I think this is what I was looking for
I might just run cable up the stairs while playing until someone else provides a bullet-proof solution.

Thanks
Old 08-09-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless you want to buy 2 WAPS, get the bridge (mine is on order also).

Doug
Old 08-09-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
heck, why bother. At our store we sell a 50 ft rj45 cable for $15. Much less hassle. 100 ft for $25. We don't charge nearly as much for cables as say best buy, but they're still one of our highest profit margin items.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-09-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.techrepublic.com/article....&fromtm=e103-3

RJ is better though, slight performance edge, cheap, reliable and far easier to set up and troubleshoot.