Reload this Page >

The polls in NCAA 2003 are full of crap

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-07-02, 09:36 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went 12-0 with West Virginia beating the likes of Miami, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Boston College, East Carolina, Cincinnati, etc. and got 3rd in the BCS and don't get to play for the title.

Making it worse, neither of the teams playing deserve to be there.

Marshall is number 1 somehow. They were undefeated, but they're schedule was a cake walk as they are a MAC team. Virginia Tech and LSU wore their only tough games.

Florida was number 2, and they lost 2 games!!!

So I guess I'll have to win my bowl game, and go for the championship next year.

What a crock.
Old 08-07-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thread title should read "The polls in NCAA 2003 are too realistic!" The college polls have always sucked.
Old 08-07-02, 09:46 PM
Retired

True, but the real polls aren't this bad. A MAC team will never play for the championship. Marshall went 13-0 a few years ago and didn't even crack the top 10. Plus a team with 2 losses will never make it over another team that's 12-0 in a major conference.
Old 08-07-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sure does seem like you got screwed but I don't think something like this couldn't happen in real life.

BTW, Marshall also went undefeated when my brother played a season. I think they finished at #7 in the polls.
Old 08-07-02, 10:14 PM
Retired

The polls suck in real life, but nothing this bad has ever happened.

I mean a team with 2 losses has never gotten in over an undefeated team (and a couple others with 1 loss) and no MAC team has ever gotten in.
Old 08-08-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The polls in NCAA 2003 are full of crap

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I went 12-0 with West Virginia

Forget the polls. The above is the real glitch........
Old 08-08-02, 09:57 AM
Retired

Hey now we went undefeated in 1988 and 1993 so it's not unthinkable.
Old 08-08-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

isnt wvu playing at vt this year?

ooh thats gonna be a stomping

Old 08-08-02, 01:19 PM
Retired

I think it will be close this year, but that's not saying much since VT beat us 35-0 last year. We should be a good bit better this year.

Anyways, as for the game, I'm an idiot. I'd only simulated the regular season and assumed that took care of championship week as well.

It didn't.

I simulated championship week and Marshall got stomped by Toledo in the MAC championship which moved me to number 2 in the BCS.

Still a crock that Florida was number 1 with 2 losses, but I atoned for that by beating them 42-23 in the championship game at the Fiesta Bowl.
Old 08-08-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This has always been a slight problem with EA's college football games. If you play as a team in a conference that doesn't have a conference championship game - there can be 2 or 3 more weeks left in the season for other teams - and they will pass you in the polls, and their players will pass you in the Heisman standings, top QB, etc. I always have this problem when I play as Michigan.
Old 08-08-02, 11:37 PM

Josh, are you simulating all of your games, or you playing them? I got into the national championship with Kansas in one season after playing every game. Of course, I had 3 candidates out of 5 for the Heisman, which probably helped. I think you have to "pad" your team's stats to be able to rise in the polls to the top from obscurity. Simulating won't help, that's for sure.
Old 08-09-02, 04:29 AM
Retired

I played them and I won the heisman, and ended up getting in and when the title game as I posted above.

I just meant simulating the last week or two of the season, after my 12th game as I had no games remaining. I had neglected to simulate the conference championships, and when I did Marshall lost and fell from 1 to 3 in the BCS, moving me to 2nd. So I didn't get screwed after all.