Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Laserdisc Dolby Digital and DTS

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a question for all you Laserdisc diehards. I'm thinking of picking up a laserdisc player on Fleabay and I had a question.

If the player has an optical digital output does that mean I can play DTS and DD discs without an outboard decoder? If my reciever has DD and DTS decoders built in will they do the trick or do I have to have an outboard converter?
Old 08-07-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If the player can pass the signal then your receiver should be able to decode it. I would check the specs of the laserdisc player in question carefully to be sure this is the case.
Old 08-07-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Laserdisc Dolby Digital and DTS

Originally posted by Pants

If the player has an optical digital output does that mean I can play DTS and DD discs without an outboard decoder?
No. An optical digital output does guarantee that it can pass an encoded DTS signal to a receiver, though.

LD players pass DD signals through an RF output, so it would have to have one of those (and be labeled "AC-3" or "DD") to pass a DD signal, and even then you would need a receiver with a LD-specific RF input.
Old 08-07-02, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dts will be output via an optical output, but not DD.
DD/AC-3 has a dedicated RF output for that purpose and you'll need an RF demodulator as well, unless your processor/receiver accepts an RF signal.
Old 08-07-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
dts will be output via an optical output, but not DD.
DD/AC-3 has a dedicated RF output for that purpose and you'll need an RF demodulator as well, unless your processor/receiver accepts an RF signal.
This is correct the optical/coaxial will send DTS to your receiver, as DVD_O_Rama states you will need an RF demodulator as well these are for sale on fleabay also but will probably run $100+. Really depends on what you are looking for in LD if they will be AC-3 or DTS encoded you can decide if you'll need the RF demod.
Old 08-08-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
There is a FAQ on my LD page that may help with some of these questions:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jzyber/askjosh.htm

In a best case scenario, an LD player should be connected to a receiver THREE times:

- Analog L/R cables for the analog audio tracks (this signal cannot be passed through a digital connection). Audio commentaries are stored on the analog channels, and some very old discs may not have digital audio at all.

- Digital connection (optical or coaxial) for the PCM digital audio channels or DTS.

- RF connection for Dolby Digital 5.1. Must be connected to an outboard RF-demodulator then to the receiver.

Complicated, yes, but worth the effort. Laserdisc audio is widely regarded to be superior to DVD sound quality.